Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
1715927204048.jpeg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You can't squeeze other GM's in this league.
Trades are hard to make.
Dollar in; Dollar out.

He had an excuse every f***ing year on why this team simply couldn't go all in. Those are just 3 of them. There's plenty more in his wheel of excuses.

Can't go all in, yet he is always setting himself up to have no flexibility at all even if he wanted to. Just the worst possible GM we could have hired for the stage we were at in this rebuild. Zero creativity in making moves. Zero planning and foresight. Just a guy flailing and always in a rush to blow every dime on whatever idea looks ok in the moment.

The final and most consequential year of his 5, he just blows it all, plus an extra 3M next year for someone else to deal with on a busted Connor Brown. Doesn't try to fix anything else. No effort to free space and fix the obvious things that sank us vs Vegas (which sank us in the first games of this series). 34 year old Henrique with the last nickles he left himself. Just embarrassing.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
KK should've forced Holland/Tyler Wright to pick Wyatt Johnston, Stankoven, and Harley over Broberg, Bourault, and trading 2 2nds for AA. Oh and don't forget Tkachuk over JP and Oettinger over Yamamoto. Should've also forced Holland not to sign the Nurse extension and the Jack Campbell contract.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have a hard time blaming KK when the PP goes 0/5 and the top guys let them win it in the last minute…
Yeh. I don’t know how much this can put on KK. Maybe a lack of an inspiring speech to up the boys intensity is the only thing I can say. But what if he did that and the boys just didn’t respond. We easilly win this if our PP gets 1 out of 5…. The margins in this game were thin.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Can't go all in, yet he is always setting himself up to have no flexibility at all even if he wanted to. Just the worst possible GM we could have hired for the stage we were at in this rebuild. Zero creativity in making moves. Zero planning and foresight. Just a guy flailing and always in a rush to blow every dime on whatever idea looks ok in the moment.

I'm up to the cap! That's why I can't go all in. Well who's fault is that, you piece of shit?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
When I see you agreeing with my posts, I know for a fact its the truth.
Knoblauch's getting his ass outcoached this series.
pk adjustments alone.

But other things too. Gooning it up in series is something a Nucks team has to do to slow us down. They checked those kinds of boxes. Also unlike LA Nucks haven't been running around taking really dumb penalties. We still got jobbed on what should've been suspensions to both Zad and dumber, but I also can't believe how timid our response has been since that. Nucks are beating us in games and the in the ring. Thats historically not an Oilers kind of thing to be on the wrong end of that.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I just became even more envious of the Stars. Not only did they get Johnston and Stankoven from their 1st and 2nd picks in the 2021 draft, they traded down to do so. Holland trades down to select Bourgault. Nill trades the Cossa pick for a 1st and 2nd and selects Johnston and Stankoven. Essentially set up his team for the next decade plus in 2 drafts, 2017 and 2021.

Reactions: McAsuno

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It;s funny, Tocchet mentions he has 5 - 6 players he has that don't know it's the play offs....
while knoblauch doesn't realize he has more than 5 - 6 players to play in a playoff game?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
pk adjustments alone.

But other things too. Gooning it up in series is something a Nucks team has to do to slow us down. They checked those kinds of boxes. Also unlike LA Nucks haven't been running around taking really dumb penalties. We still got jobbed on what should've been suspensions to both Zad and dumber, but I also can't believe how timid our response has been since that. Nucks are beating us in games and the in the ring. Thats historically not an Oilers kind of thing to be on the wrong end of that.

Tocchet acknowledged players like Karlsson or Lafferty were not getting it done so he switched those 2 out today. Us? Perry has been extremely ineffective. Foegele has been awful at both ends of the ice along with taking stupid penalties. McLeod's perimeter play isn't helping him or his linemates. Team lacked so much heart today. A guy like Gagner may not have the age or skating ability like he used to, but surely, Gagner would've played with much more heart and effort tonight. Way too many passengers on this team and its the same f***ing passengers from every other past year too.

Reactions: K1984 and Keggatron

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Knob mentioned that defending is tiring and we weren’t executing but didn’t mention that was because we were getting outworked and out hit all game long.

Reactions: McAsuno

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If they actually hire a competent, progressive GM, I think we might be surprised at how some of these issues can actually be managed.
I thought/hoped Jeff Jackson could be that progressive that could bring some more intelligence to our moves. I was disappointed to see him enter a scouting meeting LATE on the drop episode about the TDL. And then in the meeting he was silent it seemed like Holland was in full control directing the moves and focus of the scouting group.

Reactions: Cloned

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Whoever won this game wins the series imo and the Canucks did it. I don’t see any chance in hell that we beat the Canucks twice. I’ll be surprised if we even pull through for game 6.

Mcdavid playing the worst hockey of his career has fully sunk us.

Reactions: Kerberos

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Where I disagree is the bolded. The Canucks didn't take it. We gave it away. Especially our topline. and top unit.

We had a 5 man unit of McD line and Booch and Ekholm for much of their shifts in this game. Much of the time they were just knocking the puck up ice or flips up ice. When they did get even a rush on net they were shooting wide or passing from the slot. It was like an exhibition in how to throw it away. A unit that good should establish every night. That they could be this off, and really for a couple games in a row is uncanny. Wasn't just nucks either. Guys like McD bobbling and fumbling wide open pucks. Hyman tonight looked like he was playing without a stick. may as well have been.

We would have lost to the Flames if these guys were awful in that series. You can't have your top 5 unit being this bad for two games in a row.
The Oilers didn't have the puck for two periods. Very little o-zone time. Their zone exits were limited to flip the puck out or hammer it around the boards. There was no flow. Line 4 was the most effective line after the first period creating a goal and support PK. Nothing happened after 1. All began in the face-off circle where they were always chasing after losing them.

Reactions: Keggatron

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought/hoped Jeff Jackson could be that progressive that could bring some more intelligence to our moves. I was disappointed to see him enter a scouting meeting LATE on the drop episode about the TDL. And then in the meeting he was silent it seemed like Holland was in full control directing the moves and focus of the scouting group.
He probably doesn’t want to micromanage everything. At least he’s willing to make major moves that Holland wouldn’t do, like firing Wright.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The final and most consequential year of his 5, he just blows it all, plus an extra 3M next year for someone else to deal with on a busted Connor Brown. Doesn't try to fix anything else. No effort to free space and fix the obvious things that sank us vs Vegas (which sank us in the first games of this series). 34 year old Henrique with the last nickles he left himself. Just embarrassing.
Agreed. But technically the last nickles he left us went UNUSED as we had cap space left on TDL day.

Reactions: oobga

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Took him this long to realize players like Perry, Ceci, Foegele, McLeod, etc have been highly ineffective and players like Carrick, Broberg, Stecher, or Gagner can't move the needle more? Thanks Knob. Took you in a game 6 + potential 7 must win to finally figure it out.

Meanwhile Tocchet knew they had to move out ineffective players for tonight's game and fix a bad PK to take a commending 3-2 series lead for his team.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Why is no one talking about the decision not to challenge for offside? And before you tell me I'm wrong take a look at the replay.

Draisaitl plays the puck, it hits the boards, hits the linesman's skate and then enters the zone. The rule states that a puck that deflects back into the defending zone off an official who is in the neutral zone will be off-side.

Screenshot_20240516-221023.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad