North Bay Battalion 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

4/5 years from 2007-2011 a G was selected round 1, none since. Does Gaudreau get selected in round 1 this coming draft?

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
OK...North Bay has the 7th pick in the upcoming OHL Draft. Which does everyone find a greater need? Me personally, I think the team is set in goal - Propp as an OA, while bringing up Vrbetic to back him - if they are out of contention at the halfway point, I could see them trading him to a contender and letting Vrbetic run with it from there on in. Part of me thinks they need help on the offensive end - however, the giving up of 40+ shots per game during the Niagara series also has me thinking they need a stud on the blueline - a complete player. Of all the players rated, who do you think (on paper) *might* be a good fit? (This is assuming, of course that the scouting team suddenly grows a collective set of brain cells, and Stan decides to do the right thing and design the team style of play around the talents of his players...not expect players to fit into a system that does nothing to highlight the skills that got them to the OHL in the first place) .

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I think the need is definitely on D but what good is a first round D that this team will insist on playing <5 minutes a game when he isnt a scratch?
Goalie is set, forwards are stronger than D but imo its easier to patch work the defense and a 16 year old D provides less than a 16 yr old forward.
Id pick the best available forward that will report! Arnsby/Harrison will be perfect around our pick at 9

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
If he doesn't draft another D to play 3 shifts a game for 30 games then he has completely lost it.

Look how strong Niagara's D was, 2 OA's and four 19 year olds and they shut us out 3 times.

Improve the D without sacrificing any good forwards and we should be in line for some success.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
How about in round 2 picking a player (any position) who can actually play in the league ?

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
So The Prophet, I guess you are knocking last years two second round picks, Peters and Vrbetic. Of course, the third rounder Kyle Jackson, rookie of the year in the CCHL stinks too.

You are a beauty. Mr. Negative.

And if you are following the 03’s at all this year, outside of three or four defensemen, the def crop is average. Strong at the centre position.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
So The Prophet, I guess you are knocking last years two second round picks, Peters and Vrbetic. Of course, the third rounder Kyle Jackson, rookie of the year in the CCHL stinks too.

You are a beauty. Mr. Negative.

And if you are following the 03’s at all this year, outside of three or four defensemen, the def crop is average. Strong at the centre position.
Actually I was referring to Forhan, Ball, Sherman who should have been a big part of this years team , but were a bust and wasted picks , then there is Baird , this in not negative but FACT . While it would appear that Vrbetic is a keeper , he isn't proven yet in the OHL , and Peters got little ice , so he need time next season to prove himself . I never said a thing about the 3rd round , that's you trying to add to your position . I will go slow for you , todays team is the result of poor or traded away picks in the first few rounds since the team first located to North Bay , pulling a good player's name out here and there doesn't change that.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
I say we go with 6'4" 225lb Dman Logan Mailloux from Toronto Marlies. Along with 2018 5th round pick D James Mayotte and 2016 5th rounder D Travis Mailhot.....that would give us Mailhot-Mayotte-Mailloux on defense...say that real fast!!

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
A few odds and ends re: Priority Selection (aka “the draft”):

Will the Battalion GM continue with his seemingly ill advised need to select local players early &/or often? If so, and you want/need a goalie, and if one of the best available might not be first round material but possibly won’t be available late 2nd, do you select Ben Gaudreau? If you want/need a defender, and a Powassan product who is not first round material but possibly won’t be available late 2nd, do you select Connor Punnett (North Central Predators, who some have listed as high as 30 and who had quite an OHL Cup). Or do you do the right thing and take the best player available?

If your D-group is somewhat thin, do you take the best available, and then deploy him properly? Interesting choices which a knowledgeable and good friend and I saw at the OHL Cup were Ethan Dal Mastro, Artemy Guryev and Logan Mailloux, Marlboros all. AG is an up-ice gambler with an edge and might give Coach an ulcer. Or if 61 RW goals just left town, and his 30+ centre might also as well, do you look for a quality forward?

There is probably a natural consequence of the mega-deals at trade deadlines where 2nd round selections are fired all over the map. Not one team is using its own selection this year, every team has someone else’s pick. So for instance PBO has NB and will use it at 29. NB has SSM and will use it at 38. I like last year’s first 2 rounds (9, 29, 31) a lot better than this year’s (9, 38) for the Battalion.

If you are still with me, here is a listing of the first 5 rounds for the bottom 5 in the East (a neighbourhood we know all too well):

6 PBO7 NB8 HAM9 BAR10 KGN
1 5, 119841
2 22,2938402427
3 50, 54494543
4 7264696663
5 9290,93,98 89
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

While some PBO fans are expressing some reportability anxiety, as we do here, the Petes sure look to be well set up for the next few years with 4 selections in the first 29.

And finally, compare and contrast NB with how some top tier teams line up in the first 2 rounds: OTT 21, then 31 & 32; SBY 15, then 25 & 26; LDN 20, then 33 & 34; OSH 16, then 23.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
A few odds and ends re: Priority Selection (aka “the draft”):

Will the Battalion GM continue with his seemingly ill advised need to select local players early &/or often? If so, and you want/need a goalie, and if one of the best available might not be first round material but possibly won’t be available late 2nd, do you select Ben Gaudreau? If you want/need a defender, and a Powassan product who is not first round material but possibly won’t be available late 2nd, do you select Connor Punnett (North Central Predators, who some have listed as high as 30 and who had quite an OHL Cup). Or do you do the right thing and take the best player available?

If your D-group is somewhat thin, do you take the best available, and then deploy him properly? Interesting choices which a knowledgeable and good friend and I saw at the OHL Cup were Ethan Dal Mastro, Artemy Guryev and Logan Mailloux, Marlboros all. AG is an up-ice gambler with an edge and might give Coach an ulcer. Or if 61 RW goals just left town, and his 30+ centre might also as well, do you look for a quality forward?

There is probably a natural consequence of the mega-deals at trade deadlines where 2nd round selections are fired all over the map. Not one team is using its own selection this year, every team has someone else’s pick. So for instance PBO has NB and will use it at 29. NB has SSM and will use it at 38. I like last year’s first 2 rounds (9, 29, 31) a lot better than this year’s (9, 38) for the Battalion.

If you are still with me, here is a listing of the first 5 rounds for the bottom 5 in the East (a neighbourhood we know all too well):

6 PBO7 NB8 HAM9 BAR10 KGN
15, 119841
350, 54494543
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
While some PBO fans are expressing some reportability anxiety, as we do here, the Petes sure look to be well set up for the next few years with 4 selections in the first 29.

And finally, compare and contrast NB with how some top tier teams line up in the first 2 rounds: OTT 21, then 31 & 32; SBY 15, then 25 & 26; LDN 20, then 33 & 34; OSH 16, then 23.

Let's hope our scouts have watched more than just the OHL Cup. Drafting a player after a good showing in that tournament has hurt us before (rhys forhan).

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I say we go with 6'4" 225lb Dman Logan Mailloux from Toronto Marlies. Along with 2018 5th round pick D James Mayotte and 2016 5th rounder D Travis Mailhot.....that would give us Mailhot-Mayotte-Mailloux on defense...say that real fast!!
Do we even know if Mailhot is alive

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
Anybody else heard the rumor of a possible coaching change? A potential candidate's contract has expired and he is looking for a home in NB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad