Salary Cap: Nonis sits at #20 in the league salary cap with 2 players to sign.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leafspring*

The common misconception on these boards is we are up against the cap in a negative stand alone way.This years drop in the cap has been difficult for every team that is dealing with it.

http://www.capgeek.com/

There is plenty of company for Nonis among G.M.'s trying to sort things out.

All the complainers about it on here about our cap situation are just looking for something to complain about that is the norm league wide. Check out the other teams in worse or the same situation.

Way to much is being made of it here.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
People are just upset because for some reason everyone here seems to think Nonis is refusing to sign Kadri and Franson for no good reason.

Reality is both players (especially Franson) are making unrealistic demands.

I for one am gla we haven't given Franson 4-5M.

Kyle Doobas*

Breaking news: HF Leafs fans unwittingly hold their team to ridiculous standards that most if not all teams would fall short of

leafspring*

All that tells me is that there's 19 teams we can't dump salary on.

Its hard for all teams. The 10 below us are no better off either in terms of wanting to be a floor team to the detriment of quality and needing to sign more also.

There is zero opportunity for teams to take salary for the most part league wide.

That said, our roster looks pretty solid over plenty that are above us.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
How many of those teams closer to the limit have players as important as Kadri and Franson to sign? The Rangers need to fit Stepan, Vancouver needs to fit Tanev, and Carolina .. Tlusty. Vancouver and Carolina don't have a cap problem fitting their guys under. Seems like something has to give for ONLY Toronto and NYR. Me thinks your leading on to knowing less than you really do.

leafspring*

People are just upset because for some reason everyone here seems to think Nonis is refusing to sign Kadri and Franson for no good reason.

I have never seen anything insinuating Franson is asking for that kind of money to date?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Without a doubt there are many here far more worried about the cap than Nonis & Company are.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

How do you know what their demands are?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I have never seen anything insinuating Franson is asking for that kind of money to date?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...how-interested-should-the-edmonton-oilers-be/

Franson trade speculation will heat up. Leafs would like to keep him, but $$ is too much. Prospect and draft pick fair return?

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 26, 2013

@mirtle. Don’t have Leafs cap specifics in front of me, but, Franson at $4+ has to be reasoning behind trade consideration.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 26, 2013

And that’s problematic, particularly if (as Dreger’s report indicates) Franson is looking for something in the ballpark of $4.0 million per season.

leafspring*

How many of those teams closer to the limit have players as important as Kadri and Franson to sign? The Rangers need to fit Stepan, Vancouver needs to fit Tanev, and Carolina .. Tlusty. Vancouver and Carolina don't have a cap problem fitting their guys under. Seems like something has to give for ONLY Toronto and NYR. Me thinks your leading on to knowing less than you really do.

I want to discuss it in terms of option available of course.There are plenty of options when it comes down to hockey trades/bridge contracts/sending players to the Marlies with contracts that fit into the $1,000,000 range in total.

I wouldn't want Kadri signed for anything less than 3 years and Franson could take the bridge contract for 1 year. Maybe D'Amigo is ready to do Kulemins shut down role and we trade kulie? The options are there. Maybe not popular options though.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
How do you know what their demands are?

Referring to my post above; it's quite obvious Franson and/or his agent are being very stubborn (yet again) on contract negotiations.

I can only speculate that Kadri isn't signed because he is asking more than the leafs can give up at this point in time (without Franson's deal still not hammered out). Or he's just asking for too much altogether. But my homerism hopes its the former.

I think with the fine line we're on, the negitations between Kadri and Franson need to be essentially done in parralel until either both are brought down to fair numbers that work under our cap, or until we throw in the towel on Franson's stubbornness; trade him and then have more fleixbility for Kadri.

Kadri will most certainly be signed; I have no worries about that.

Last edited:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I want to discuss it in terms of option available of course.There are plenty of options when it comes down to hockey trades/bridge contracts/sending players to the Marlies with contracts that fit into the $1,000,000 range in total.

I wouldn't want Kadri signed for anything less than 3 years and Franson could take the bridge contract for 1 year. Maybe D'Amigo is ready to do Kulemins shut down role and we trade kulie? The options are there. Maybe not popular options though.

Franson has already taken his 1-year bridge deal this past season and was very reluctant to do so. I don't think he'll feel any need to do so again this year.

I think Franson is gone; unless someone convinces him and his agent he won't get anything more than a bridge deal somewhereelse in the league.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, that's all anything is until it's official.

It's a figure thrown out by 2 of the most reliable people in the TO media bubble.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's looking for 4 - 4.5, especially after seeing what Gunnar got.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The Leafs are going to be fine, not much to worry about really, and this has been covered in multiple threads already.

Franson or Kadri may hold out but that's probably the worst case scenario. They both will get signed, I'm sure of it.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Its hard for all teams. The 10 below us are no better off either in terms of wanting to be a floor team to the detriment of quality and needing to sign more also.

There is zero opportunity for teams to take salary for the most part league wide.

That said, our roster looks pretty solid over plenty that are above us.

So....we're in rough shape if we want to sign both Kadri and Franson?

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Kadri will get a 1 year bridge deal in the neighbourhood of $2.5m - $2.75m

Franson will get 3-4 year deal at $3 - $3.5 per year. Anything more and we will trade him for picks/prospects.

That will leave us about $1mil short on cap, but thats workable, as we could demote someone to start the year and run with 22 man roster for the first 20-30 games.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If nothing shakes out that works for the Leafs on the trade front.

The Leafs will use a short roster. Which was confirmed as a possible method by Poulin.

They can use Emergency recalls and LTIR manipulation to bring up players as the season goes along.

If Franson wants more than he is currently worth there would have to be another team willing to pay him that. I haven't seen an offer sheet which would bring back a 1st and a 3rd as compensation so far.

Jun 27, 2005
That is the conclusion that should be drawn from this thread.

No, the conclusion is that Nonis only had the money for 3 of Bosak, Clarkson, Kadri and Franson and he messed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad