Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Happy for the Leafs - they should be the Yankees/Real Madrid of hockey, not a sad sack.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't forget that even with signing JT, they lost Bozak and JVR, their defense is still abysmal outside of Rielly, and their goaltending is average.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Obviously depends on the cost, but O'reilly would be a huge get for the Wild.

Would love to have him, just don't think the cost is going to be worth it in the long run. If we can sign Zucker and Dumba for 11M, and be left with 3M, I might take a stab at sending Nino with a minor +, but the talks of the expected return being something like top-6 roster player+B/A prospect+1st/2nd? No thanks. Nino would be huge on Eichel's wing, and IMO would score more than O'Reilly.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Sorry, but saying you want to be an Islander for life, asking not to be traded....and then signing for less than what NYI's reportedly offered AND immediately tweeting a pic saying it's been a childhood dream to play for Toronto? That's pretty pathetic. Nothing wrong with wanting to sign elsewhere, but he strung them along. If he wanted out, then why not let the team move you and get some assests back? Why ask them not to trade you, therefore hurting the club? I don't blame Islanders fans for being pissed.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Sorry, but saying you want to be an Islander for life, asking not to be traded....and then signing for less than what NYI's reportedly offered AND immediately tweeting a pic saying it's been a childhood dream to play for Toronto? That's pretty pathetic. Nothing wrong with wanting to sign elsewhere, but he strung them along. If he wanted out, then why not let the team move you and get some assests back? Why ask them not to trade you, therefore hurting the club? I don't blame Islanders fans for being pissed.
The Islanders are the biggest joke of a franchise in the league. Tavares owed them nothing, and if they were too dumb to figure it out in the last year, they deserve what they got.

Reactions: FVM and TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016

And this is why Nashville hates Suter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh... being mad at free agents is pointless imo.

Maybe he never expected Toronto to be in the running. He didn't get to talk to any other team until the free agent negotiating period this past week. He wanted to see what his options were and then he saw an unexpected option.

I can't blame JT for wanting to go home. It's always a possibility with high profile free agents.

Reactions: FVM and 2Pair

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, sounds a little bit like Zach and Ryan to me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If a guy like Tavares isn't signed in July of the year prior to becoming UFA, it's because he's thinking about leaving. If you get to the trade deadline of that season, and he still hasn't re-signed, he's 100% leaving. Any Islander fan that's shocked that it turned out this way is a complete moron.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If a guy like Tavares isn't signed in July of the year prior to becoming UFA, it's because he's thinking about leaving. If you get to the trade deadline of that season, and he still hasn't re-signed, he's 100% leaving. Any Islander fan that's shocked that it turned out this way is a complete moron.

Stamkos...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
And this is why Nashville hates Suter.
Yeah, but did Suter or Parise request not to be traded?

Again, don't get me wrong. JT had every right to sign elsewhere. But it now appears as though he obviously wanted out big time, so why take the initiative in asking not to be moved at the dealine? Being traded wouldn't have had any effect on his UFA status. Yes, you could say the Islanders were stupid for not dealing him, but he was their franchise player. Him asking them not to move him made it appear as though he was very much willing to negotiate and re-sign. You can't blame them for taking his word. Any club will fight to keep their franchise player. It's why Stamkos wasn't moved. But after seeing him leave money on the table, it paints a different picture. It's just confusing. I'm just caught up at the point where he asked not to be traded.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, but did Suter request not to be traded?

Again, don't get me wrong. JT had every right to sign elsewhere. But it now appears as though he obviously wanted out big time, so why take the initiative in asking not to be moved at the dealine? Being traded wouldn't have had any effect on his UFA status. Yes, you could say the Islanders were stupid for not dealing him, but he was their franchise player. Him asking them not to move him made it appear as though he was very much willing to negotiate and re-sign. You can't blame them for taking his word. Any club will fight to keep their franchise player. It's why Stamkos wasn't moved. But after seeing him leave money on the table, it paints a different picture. It's just confusing.

Have to agree. Not sure if Tavares didn't expect the Leafs to be a suitor or what, but the fact that he repeatedly stated he wanted to be an Islander and asked not to be traded at the deadline is a pretty bad look for him, not for the Isles.

You can sit there and say, "well the Isles should have known." But how? At best they could have traded his rights after the Finals were over, but it's too late at that point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not 100%.

Stamkos made it to the negotiating period, saw his options, then stayed in Tampa.

Like I said, I think JT was actually surprised to see Toronto was a legit option. Looking at their lineup, it wouldn't have been the first team on anyone's expected JT sweepstakes list considering that position was FAR from a need and now screams that they will be moving a forward or two in the next year.

Defense was their obvious need.

The only real incentive for Toronto was the hometown angle. He doesn't really solve any of their problems.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I will say, the one positive thing to come out of this situation is that at least we won't have to hear any more "Player X is gonna sign with the Leafs this summer, he wants to come home" because the Leafs can't afford to bring anyone else home now.

It also means we can more easily poach Seguin from Dallas next year :naughty:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair point, although Stamkos isn't that level of player.

Agree to disagree. Kucherov may be getting a lot of the attention, but Stamkos is still easily one of the top C's in the league.

Reactions: TaLoN

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I will say, the one positive thing to come out of this situation is that at least we won't have to hear any more "Player X is gonna sign with the Leafs this summer, he wants to come home" because the Leafs can't afford to bring anyone else home now.

It also means we can more easily poach Stamkos from Dallas next year :naughty:
:huh::huh::help:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Not sure why you edited my OP from Seguin to Stamkos :sarcasm:

Nah, but it was a typo. Seguin, Stamkos, they both start with S, and I just read Stamkos' name in the post above mine.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
umm he's not? 3 90p seasons and is a PPG for his career for Stamkos.

He also had 86 this year and missed 4 games. Another 90 point pace.

And 20 in 17 last year before missing the rest of the season with an injury.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
In Tavares' press conference, he called Barzal "the kid who won the Calder"

Maybe people are reading way too much into that, but that comes off as pretty disrespectful.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Tavares had no reason, no obligation, no good reason why he had to stay with the NYI.

The fact is he played 9 seasons with the Islanders and they could not surround him with a competent team. It was flub after flub.

JT had no obligation to sign with them and had every right to wait until he was hitting FA, as every professional sports player has, and EVERY team knows this. It’s a game. A game that the NYI organization played poorly.

JT should have been locked up or traded in February if NYI truly wanted to get something in return.

His contract, like all contact, don’t say “player must make sure to get traded if they are unsure of their want to resign with team in their contract year so that said team gets assets”. No, his contract was to play hockey.

Pro sports is a cut throat business and it’s a business indeed.

The NYI FAILED to sign JT. Period. I don’t blame JT one ounce. Would you REALLY trust a player that needs to keep his PR good in January when he said his priority is to stay and Islander? And did he say I’m staying an Islander no matter what- I won’t even consider other teams? No. He didn’t.

I see a lot of Islander fans and other fans putting some sort of blame on JT. He is the last person to blame. It wasn’t his job to sign himself. It was the NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad