OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My concern is that Minnesota is going to force a trade and end up with the equivalence of Justin Fields/Trey Lance/Zach Wilson/Kenny Pickett. If rumors are true, I think it would be foolish for any of the top 3 teams to trade down as there seems to be a gap between the top 4 QBs and the rest. And any one of them would have been taken first overall next year as the crop doesn't look great.

Chicago - Williams
Washington - Daniels/Maye
New England - Maye/Daniels
Arizona - MHJ

Los Angeles needs offensive line and wide receiver.

New York G - JJ McCarthy?

The biggest issue is the Chargers may not want to move all the way down to 11, because the next best receiver and the best offensive tackle won't be there. They could make a minor trade with the Giants, pick up some draft capital and Giants get McCarthy, Chargers still get their WR or offensive line guy AND extra picks.

Like, Minnesota still has a massive hill to climb to move up.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Perfect world for me is we move up into the top 3 and get one of Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye.

I really should start watching some tape of both those guys.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Perfect world for me is we move up into the top 3 and get one of Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye.

I really should start watching some tape of both those guys.

I'm fine with any one of Daniels, Maye or McCarthy. Whichever one KAM and KOC think they can mold into a franchise starting QB, is the one they should target.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I'm fine with any one of Daniels, Maye or McCarthy. Whichever one KAM and KOC think they can mold into a franchise starting QB, is the one they should target.
Getting Maye or Daniels would probably cost us our FRP next year, JJ it seems like we’d get to keep it, atleast going off of the trade value chart.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve read direct comparisons between Daniels and Fields. Will be interesting to see how he does in the NFL.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I’ve read direct comparisons between Daniels and Fields. Will be interesting to see how he does in the NFL.

I know its important that for a young QB prospect to succeed, it helps to be drafted into the "right" organization. One that doesn't necessarily try to rush their development, has the right coaching, and makes sure that player has the pieces around him necessary to succeed. The question is: HOW important?

Would we be looking at Fields differently if he wasn't drafted by the Bears? Would Mahomes have been able to succeed with any team, or did the fact that it was the Chiefs and Andy Reid contribute mightily to his success?

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I know its important that for a young QB prospect to succeed, it helps to be drafted into the "right" organization. One that doesn't necessarily try to rush their development, has the right coaching, and makes sure that player has the pieces around him necessary to succeed. The question is: HOW important?

Would we be looking at Fields differently if he wasn't drafted by the Bears? Would Mahomes have been able to succeed with any team, or did the fact that it was the Chiefs and Andy Reid contribute mightily to his success?
And MN is a great spot for a young QB to succeed with JJ, JA, Hock, an elite LT, a very good RT and a young offensive minded former QB in KOC.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Honestly, even if they can't move up, taking a top 3 defenseman player at #11 and then another defensive player at #23 is pretty good for team building too.

Trading up for McCarthy still seems surreal. Man, do teams ever go batshit when it comes to QBs.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Honestly, even if they can't move up, taking a top 3 defenseman player at #11 and then another defensive player at #23 is pretty good for team building too.

Trading up for McCarthy still seems surreal. Man, do teams ever go batshit when it comes to QBs.

It really doesn't matter to me if we get the QB at 3, 4, 11 or 23....or if it's Daniels, Maye or McCarthy. If its the "right" guy, nobody will care if a team moved up or down to get them, as long as they have them.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It really doesn't matter to me if we get the QB at 3, 4, 11 or 23....or if it's Daniels, Maye or McCarthy. If its the "right" guy, nobody will care if a team moved up or down to get them, as long as they have them.
I'm more just thinking that the guy was a borderline 1st round pick when they stopped playing games, and now he's probably going to go top 10 and possibly top 5.

Sure, if he turns out to the right guy, then who cares, but that proposition has basically been a coin flip over the last 20-25 years, even in the top 3.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm more just thinking that the guy was a borderline 1st round pick when they stopped playing games, and now he's probably going to go top 10 and possibly top 5.

Sure, if he turns out to the right guy, then who cares, but that proposition has basically been a coin flip over the last 20-25 years, even in the top 3.

There are a lot of varying opinions on McCarthy. There are some that say that because of the run-heavy Michigan offense, McCarthy wasn't relied on to make big plays through the passing game. Others aren't bothered, saying he has the mechanics and intelligence to play in a more passing-oriented offense.

I've actually watched a lot of McCarthy over the past 2 seasons, and I've always been impressed. He may not have the cannon of "top 3" QBs, but I think his arm strength is good enough for the NFL. He People may roll their eyes, but I also love his intangibles.

What's most important is, can he read a defense and go through his progressions? Is he accurate? (some say he can't throw to his left very well). Is he mobile? When the pocket collapses, does he panic or can he extend the play by moving within or out of the pocket?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Scenario 1: Minnesota trades the 11th, 23rd, 1st rounder in 2025, 3rd rounder in 2025 and a 2nd round pick in 2026 to the New England Patriots for the 3rd overall pick and later round pick in 2025 to select Drake Maye.

Scenario 2: Minnesota trades the 11th, 23rd, 1st rounder in 2025 to the San Diego Chargers for the 5th overall pick and a later pick in 2025 to select JJ McCarthy.

Scenario 3: Minnesota stays at 11th pick and selects Bo Nix/Michael Penix Jr.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My concern is that Minnesota is going to force a trade and end up with the equivalence of Justin Fields/Trey Lance/Zach Wilson/Kenny Pickett. If rumors are true, I think it would be foolish for any of the top 3 teams to trade down as there seems to be a gap between the top 4 QBs and the rest. And any one of them would have been taken first overall next year as the crop doesn't look great.

Chicago - Williams
Washington - Daniels/Maye
New England - Maye/Daniels
Arizona - MHJ

Los Angeles needs offensive line and wide receiver.

New York G - JJ McCarthy?

The biggest issue is the Chargers may not want to move all the way down to 11, because the next best receiver and the best offensive tackle won't be there. They could make a minor trade with the Giants, pick up some draft capital and Giants get McCarthy, Chargers still get their WR or offensive line guy AND extra picks.

Like, Minnesota still has a massive hill to climb to move up.
QB is a crap shoot. Anytime you take one, it can go wrong. If you never take one, you will never hit the jackpot either. You have to risk it at some point. Odds are far higher in the first round.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
QB is a crap shoot. Anytime you take one, it can go wrong. If you never take one, you will never hit the jackpot either. You have to risk it at some point. Odds are far higher in the first round.
Also teams aren't giving the leashes to their QBs like they used to. Look at how many former 1st round picks have been cut after a few seasons. There are too many team on the market needing QBs than there are good QBs.

In the top 10; Chicago, Washington, New England, New York Gs, New York Jets (if Wilson is moved, they can also wait a year or two), after that, Denver, Seattle (they got Howell but he looked more like a talented backup), New Orleans, Los Angeles (Stafford can go for so long), Las Vegas, Pittsburgh (more like is the future, but who knows),

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I also feel more comfortable with KOC in charge of developing a young QB, than I did under Mike Zimmer. Additionally, whichever QB the Vikings select, will be in a better spot than Chicago, Washington or NE in terms of the talent they will be surrounded by.

Reactions: Sad People

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I also feel more comfortable with KOC in charge of developing a young QB, than I did under Mike Zimmer.
I mean - yes. Zimmer was a defensive guru. I'd be more comfortable if Stefanski was here, but that's water under the bridge.

Did you know that Houston's QB coach was the assistant QB coach here in Minnesota?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I mean - yes. Zimmer was a defensive guru. I'd be more comfortable if Stefanski was here, but that's water under the bridge.

Did you know that Houston's QB coach was the assistant QB coach here in Minnesota?

Yes, he was an assistant for 1 season under KOC...and Cousins had a great year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Can't believe we let him go. O'Hara was meh.

Meh, I think KOC is the de-facto QB coach anyways. Jerrod Johnson probably left because he wanted more responsibility.

Speaking of QB coaches, new Vikings QB coach Josh McCown was Drake Maye's HS coach. Not sure if that factors into anything, but was interesting to learn.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I will die of laughter if Minnesota doesn’t draft a quarterback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad