Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just took a quick look at some of the pages in that thread, got to love Leafs fans and their fancy stats, lol. Spreadsheets!!!

Stats that apparently indicate the Leafs played better defense in one series against the mighty, offensive juggernaut that is the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Meanwhile the Isles played the Florida Panthers (who have some elite talent upfront), the Capitals, Flyers and the Lightning.

I would hope the Leafs "defense" comes out looking better.

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing a Leddy-Dobson pairing next year - if Leddy is still with the Isles. A Toews-Dobson pairing could also be interesting.
Denial is strong. It's been a great post season for us. Not so good for that side, a constant barrel of laughs. But heck we got Dobson, they have our mascott. lol

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol at that guy's troll account. Noticed he's been telling people he was an Islanders fan until they lost a certain someone, also says that the forum and recent events have pushed him away, or something. It's pathetic how low people will go to troll.
How insecure and pathetic can one be to masquerade as a Islander fan, only to be a Leaf fan on this board, You must have some deep seeded problems to do so. BTW I called him out the first post he made here, when he quoted a post before he even joined HF. Called it from the start.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Lol at that guy's troll account. Noticed he's been telling people he was an Islanders fan until they lost a certain someone, also says that the forum and recent events have pushed him away, or something. No one that was actually an Islanders fan has left after they brought in Lou, Trotz, a winning culture, and a new arena.

It's pathetic how low people will go to troll.

Do you think it is Aryne and we just figured out her HF handle?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
How insecure and pathetic can one be to masquerade as a Islander fan, only to be a Leaf fan on this board, You must have some deep seeded problems to do so. BTW I called him out the first post he made here, when he quoted a post before he even joined HF. Called it from the start.

Lol it's ridiculously transparent and sad.

On a side note, I gotta tell you, I'm remembering back to July 2018. You showed up the same day Leafsjama boy left, and you were telling us all that the Islanders had a very bright future, and it was coming real soon. How right you were! Let's hope next year builds on your prediction.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol it's ridiculously transparent and sad.

On a side note, I gotta tell you, I'm remembering back to July 2018. You showed up the same day Leafsjama boy left, and you were telling us all that the Islanders had a very bright future, and it was coming real soon. How right you were! Let's hope next year builds on your prediction.
I was actually posting here when Barzy made the team in his 85 pt rookie year, when he outplayed the stranger to playoff hockey Pajamas. But thanks for remembering. I meant what I said then, and thus far it looks good. Isles will be fine under Lou and Barry. And Dobson as the present future as he showed tonight.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I was actually posting here when Barzy made the team in his 85 pt rookie year, when he outplayed the stranger to playoff hockey Pajamas. But thanks for remembering. I meant what I said then, and thus far it looks good. Isles will be fine under Lou and Barry. And Dobson as the present future as he showed tonight.

My bad, I wasn't in the game threads too much during the 2017-18 year, Islanders hadn't been giving us a whole lot of good things to talk about until that Calder and the massive changes at the end.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Yup you were always a big Barzal fan. I remember talking to you about Barzal how he didn’t get a point in his first 6 nhl games but it was only a matter of time before the points start coming. Boy did the start coming after those 6 games. Dobson I believe is also going to be a really good player.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

You're my boy Blue!

Dobson is going to be a beast, I've been one of his biggest supporters even before we were fortunate enough to draft him. He had a strong playoff showing considering the circumstances, the skillset and poise were on display last night.

Tall and lanky kids take time, but he is ready for full time duty next season and I have no doubt he will be ready for top-4 action in 2021-22. When he hits his full stride in about 3/4 years, he will be the alpha of the defense. Pietrangelo 2.0.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
You're my boy Blue!

Dobson is going to be a beast, I've been one of his biggest supporters even before we were fortunate enough to draft him. He had a strong playoff showing considering the circumstances, the skillset and poise were on display last night.

Tall and lanky kids take time, but he is ready for full time duty next season and I have no doubt he will be ready for top-4 action in 2021-22. When he hits his full stride in about 3/4 years, he will be the alpha of the defense. Pietrangelo 2.0.

Id really love to see him stapled next to Greene next season, he would be a great mentor for Dobson, and it would allow Dobson to push the pace offensively.

As for last night, Dobson looked stronger than he has previously. He was able to seal a few guys off along the boards and win a couple of board battles. He still needs to get stronger, but hes getting there. I wouldnt be surprised to see him right up there with Pelech and Pulock by the end of next season. A full year of man strength and Trotz will do wonders for the kid.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Id really love to see him stapled next to Greene next season, he would be a great mentor for Dobson, and it would allow Dobson to push the pace offensively.

As for last night, Dobson looked stronger than he has previously. He was able to seal a few guys off along the boards and win a couple of board battles. He still needs to get stronger, but hes getting there. I wouldnt be surprised to see him right up there with Pelech and Pulock by the end of next season. A full year of man strength and Trotz will do wonders for the kid.

Emrick and Boucher certainly noticed Dobson last night, they commented on him a couple of times as the game went on.

Dobson is still just 20 and definitely needs to continue to get bigger and stronger, but he's ready to ascend the lineup now. Completely agree about Greene, I've been saying for a while that he's a perfect partner and mentor for the kid.

Dobson has the skating ability and outlet passing ability to be a strong puck mover, he's equipped to bring that Leddy/Toews PMD dimension from the RD side and that's a big need. He should be an upgrade on the PP as well since he has a true PPQB skillset, again from the right side which could change it's dynamic.

Dobson may not have an elite trait, but he has no real weakness and is very good all across the board buoyed by premium hockey IQ and poise. That's rare in a 6'4 RHD. He is our Barzal on defense.

Still can't believe he fell to us at #12. Perfect storm of events, just like Barzal.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
that made me laugh......it’s such a weird/pretentious way to spell that name, I’m always like “who the f*** is Aryne?” It always comes out as “Arnee” in my head :laugh:

Lol I actually googled it first to make sure I wasn't missing anything big. And it also sounds like one of those crazy Twitter personalities.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What we saw with Dobson last night is why some of us wanted to see more of him. He has a unique offensive instinct that we lack on the back line. You don't win back to back Memorial Cups with different teams as the dominant player without a heck of a hockey IQ and he showed some of that last night. Confident zone exits, intelligent dump ins and knows when to jump up on attack. The only mistake I saw was the failed keep-in that got turned around on him for the 2 on 1 but every defenseman will have that happen.

He's going to be our #1 RD within 2 more years and it won't even be a discussion point. And his poise last night was terrific once he got his first 2 shifts under his belt.

We've got a stud.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
What happens with Dobson?

He comes to camp next season and wins a job in our D corps top 4. He is ready for prime time.

I don't know if it would be wise to give him a top-4 spot right off the bat, but he should certainly be given a regular shift on the 3rd pair to start the season. If he progresses throughout the season and earns a top-4 role and ice time, then hallelujah. Better to ease him in and give him a veteran like Greene to be a safety blanket.

I would give Dobson a regular 3rd pair ES and #2PP time to start the season. I think he could displace Mayfield in the top-4 by season's end and move up to #1PP, but would rather have him earn it and organically grow into that position over time.

We've got a burgeoning stud though and there is no better coach to bring it out of him than Trotz.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
What we saw with Dobson last night is why some of us wanted to see more of him. He has a unique offensive instinct that we lack on the back line. You don't win back to back Memorial Cups with different teams as the dominant player without a heck of a hockey IQ and he showed some of that last night. Confident zone exits, intelligent dump ins and knows when to jump up on attack. The only mistake I saw was the failed keep-in that got turned around on him for the 2 on 1 but every defenseman will have that happen.

He's going to be our #1 RD within 2 more years and it won't even be a discussion point. And his poise last night was terrific once he got his first 2 shifts under his belt.

We've got a stud.

Barry saw it last night. Noahs coming. And he’s going to be a handful. They can’t keep him out of the lineup anymore. He’s forcing his way in. He needs to play every game.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know if it can be said enough how valuable this year and then the bubble has been for Dobson. What other team can let a bluechip essentially redshirt his freshman year?

Both him and Sorokin are going to come out f***ing SWINGING next season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Once he starts logging mins in the top 4, Noah is just going to become my comparable, a Seth Jones. 2.0. His offence will be the best of all Isles defenders. I actually like him eventually with Pelech who is the Isles best D man IMO presently. The 2nd pairing may be Pulock and Toews. For next year if the Isles can get Greene to take a discount, I would play them behind the Pulock and Pelech tandem.

The main thing here is let him start every game, from what I see he is bigger, he had man strength last night, and poise to be a stud on the blue line. Having him drop to the Isles at #12 was like the Isles getting a top 5 pick in the draft for next season.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't know if it would be wise to give him a top-4 spot right off the bat, but he should certainly be given a regular shift on the 3rd pair to start the season. If he progresses throughout the season and earns a top-4 role and ice time, then hallelujah. Better to ease him in and give him a veteran like Greene to be a safety blanket.

I would give Dobson a regular 3rd pair ES and #2PP time to start the season. I think he could displace Mayfield in the top-4 by season's end and move up to #1PP, but would rather have him earn it and organically grow into that position over time.

We've got a burgeoning stud though and there is no better coach to bring it out of him than Trotz.
I envision him as Toews or Leddy's replacement. Which pair he starts next season on is open for discussion, but I think he's ready for 18 minutes a game now. The poise he showed will only grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad