News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Nylander is a better player. More gritty, shows up in the playoffs, and when the chips are down, nobody would take Marner over Nylander to spark a goal.

And going by past contracts, Nylander is also at a cheaper salary too who seemed worth it. Nobody is going to say Marner was worth $11M.

If you had to pick one of these players to build a team around, you;d take Nylander over Marner any day of the week.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Not sure why your opinion constitutes you starting another thread on the matter, but here we are.

It’s “hilarious” that you can’t be objective enough to understand why a majority of leaf fans on HF (and real life) see Nylander as the more important, better player.

There’s never a moment too big for Willie Nylander - international tournaments, the trip to Sweden last year, NHL playoffs - Nylander steps up and is a factor. Marner, not so much.

You clearly needed to be explained this again, if you need me to break this down further I’m happy to educate you!

... and you decided against your will to continue this travesty of a thread... but here we are discussing the very thing that offends you so much...

... of note this was an article, not written by me... but thought it is worth a robust discussion...

... please hockey Jesus ..educate away...

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Nylander can play either wing, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Together they should be able to carry a younger, developing center.
I’ve seen it being said that we can even try a lower tier Center with them, like a holmberg or dewar. Those two are solid defensive players and could fit in well to finish off plays from the two 11m dollar wingers

Alternatively, If we can find a developing Center for the upcoming year sure I’d look into that too. Cowan and minten aren’t ready for that yet, and we don’t really have other forward prospects who can potentially play Center either.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Polls on this forum would suggest otherwise.
Which polls - the ones currently active are all about Marner, except for the one about whether the team has improved.

The most recent one that mentioned them both by name was about who was the softest, and Marner won that by a landslide!

Last edited:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
:laugh: That's certainly a unique opinion.
No it is not. Mitchy plays pk because of his influence on Dubas and Keefe. We shall see if this coach plays him on pk. If he dies then I will acknowledge his d skills are better.
WN d skills are not good, but Mitchy IMHO has not got those skills either.
We shall see in October.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Those game 5-6-7 stats?

I'll discuss those stats if you want to agree to these two things.

1. Tavares > Matthews, because that is what those stats tell us.
2. Marner > Kucherov, because in game 7s, Marner outperforms him and that is the highest pressure situation.

If you want to use that sample size for Marner only, then we can ignore it because it is a dumb conversation.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No it is not. Mitchy plays pk because of his influence on Dubas and Keefe. We shall see if this coach plays him on pk. If he dies then I will acknowledge his d skills are better.
WN d skills are not good, but Mitchy IMHO has not got those skills either.
We shall see in October.

The Selke votes were clearly Dubas and Keefe's doing as well... They have way too much influence in this league.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve seen it being said that we can even try a lower tier Center with them, like a holmberg or dewar. Those two are solid defensive players and could fit in well to finish off plays from the two 11m dollar wingers

Alternatively, If we can find a developing Center for the upcoming year sure I’d look into that too. Cowan and minten aren’t ready for that yet, and we don’t really have other forward prospects who can potentially play Center either.

I think the goal shouldn't be how many points can marner and/or Nylander get during the regular season, but how can they build an additional line so they go into the playoffs with 3 lines capable of scoring.

Knies - Matthews ... should be a given
Nylander - ? - marner
McMann - Tavares ... McMann reminds me of the type of player Tavares excelled with with the Islanders. Bigger body who has some hands and can skate.

Additionally, I know it excites some to have Matthews chasing records, but it should be the Cup not a total goals record.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I'll discuss those stats if you want to agree to these two things.

1. Tavares > Matthews, because that is what those stats tell us.
2. Marner > Kucherov, because in game 7s, Marner outperforms him and that is the highest pressure situation.

If you want to use that sample size for Marner only, then we can ignore it because it is a dumb conversation.
Please show me one crucial goal that Marner has been a direct part of in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn't say 'unique' - more and more people are coming to the same realization.

And I notice you avoided answering my question.
Haven’t seen many.
Not sure what question you’re referring to

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Please show me one crucial goal that Marner has been a direct part of in the playoffs.

Will this change your mind or is it a pointless exercise where you say "That is only one" after I do?

I'm going to assume the latter.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This shouldn’t be news to anyone who hasn’t been drinking the hater koolaid.

Marner makes a much bigger positive impact over 200ft and if he can ever find another gear in the playoffs he’ll be golden

Reactions: ACC1224 and thusk

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014

Discuss ....

The Toronto Maple Leafs have two of the top ten wingers in hockey, according to the NHL Network.

I think 100% of knowledgable people would agree with that. It's not controverial in any way to state that Mitch Marner and William Nylander are top ten wingers.

Marner has four straight season where he was on pace for 100 points, and is an elite defensive player.

William Nylander is a 40 goal scorer, but he's not so hot at 5v5 and is more of a power-play merchant than anything else. He's still a great player, but you'd have to be completely ignorant about hockey to say that he's better than Marner. You could like him better, just as it's fair to like Right Said Fred more than Beatles, as long as you understand the difference between an opinion and objective reality.

You just can't seriously say that Nylander is objectively superior, because it's not even close.

No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances​

I would hate to say that the NHL Network is just lying for the purposes of engament, but what other conclusion can a person draw?

Marner scores more points, he's ranked higher by expected goals. His 5v5 numbers are superior in every single year of their careers. He plays better defense, and you can look up their respective Jfresh or Athletic Player Cards to see that is better in virtually every way.

You could also just watch a game and use your eyes.

There is no credible person on this planet who can argue that Marner is a worse player than Nylander. That just isn't a defendable argument. Nylander is great. Marner is a hall of fame talent.

Marner came 10th on the list of best wingers, but in reality, if you didn't hold the Leafs lack of playoff success against him alone, he is proabably something like the fifth best player alive regardless of position.

None of the players who scores as much as Marner does - Kucherov, Pastrnak, Rantanan, Kaprizov - also play elite defense. He's better than all of them. Nylander isn't even this list, all due respect.

But even Marner didn't get it the worst on the NHL Networks very silly list. Sam Reinhart was ranked 9th despite scoring 57 times and winning the Stanley Cup last year.

Sure, these lists are annoying, but they are a ton of fun. It is hilarious that anyone thinks Nylander is better than Marner, but it's just sad to say that there are eight better wingers than Sam Reinhart.

This article is probably one of the dumbest I've ever read.

Not to mention it's from someone referring to themselves as Editor in Leaf, yet it contains several spelling errors.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
(Between marner and Nylander - exclude Matthews)

If I want someone to set-up a goal scorer it would be marner.
If I want someone to score that goal it would be Nylander.

Again ...

Last 5 years, when they were both men (playoffs):

View attachment 902147

Nylander with 17 goals in 34 games

Marner 6 goals in 37 games

Gosh they don't make this easy do they. Hmmmmmmm so sumthin sum.. carry the one. Ok I gotta go with Maaa-William Nylander.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
This article is so dumb. What good is skill if you don't have it when it matters? For that reason, Yes William Nylander is better then Mitch Marner...

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
This shouldn’t be news to anyone who hasn’t been drinking the hater koolaid.

Marner makes a much bigger positive impact over 200ft and if he can ever find another gear in the playoffs he’ll be golden
Must be a slow learner as it’s been 8 years already, but hopefully he does it

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad