News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He is the only player that produced consistently in playoffs every year. Marner in games 5-6-7 wasnt even in the same area code, let alone being on the ice
His contributions have not been close to good enough for his AAV. There are far too many examples where he refuses to play hockey. He’s not alone, but so far he’s proven that he either doesn’t have skillset to play in the playoffs, he doesn’t want to, or combination of both.
When it’s easy, he’s a great player. Preseason, those shinny games in the winter, the World Championship , terrific, but will he challenge for a puck in the dying minutes of game 7. So far it’s a big fat nope.

If they’re serious about winning, they’ll either commit themselves, or hope that better players are put in the tougher situations, like Domi, Knies, McMann,

We're seriously making threads about James Tanner articles now? This dude is a wanker and has been for a number of years.
It’s more about the NHL Network ranking Nylander ahead of Marner, and both of them in the top 10.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Discuss ....

The Toronto Maple Leafs have two of the top ten wingers in hockey, according to the NHL Network.

I think 100% of knowledgable people would agree with that. It's not controverial in any way to state that Mitch Marner and William Nylander are top ten wingers.

Marner has four straight season where he was on pace for 100 points, and is an elite defensive player.

William Nylander is a 40 goal scorer, but he's not so hot at 5v5 and is more of a power-play merchant than anything else. He's still a great player, but you'd have to be completely ignorant about hockey to say that he's better than Marner. You could like him better, just as it's fair to like Right Said Fred more than Beatles, as long as you understand the difference between an opinion and objective reality.

You just can't seriously say that Nylander is objectively superior, because it's not even close.

No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances​

I would hate to say that the NHL Network is just lying for the purposes of engament, but what other conclusion can a person draw?

Marner scores more points, he's ranked higher by expected goals. His 5v5 numbers are superior in every single year of their careers. He plays better defense, and you can look up their respective Jfresh or Athletic Player Cards to see that is better in virtually every way.

You could also just watch a game and use your eyes.

There is no credible person on this planet who can argue that Marner is a worse player than Nylander. That just isn't a defendable argument. Nylander is great. Marner is a hall of fame talent.

Marner came 10th on the list of best wingers, but in reality, if you didn't hold the Leafs lack of playoff success against him alone, he is proabably something like the fifth best player alive regardless of position.

None of the players who scores as much as Marner does - Kucherov, Pastrnak, Rantanan, Kaprizov - also play elite defense. He's better than all of them. Nylander isn't even this list, all due respect.

But even Marner didn't get it the worst on the NHL Networks very silly list. Sam Reinhart was ranked 9th despite scoring 57 times and winning the Stanley Cup last year.

Sure, these lists are annoying, but they are a ton of fun. It is hilarious that anyone thinks Nylander is better than Marner, but it's just sad to say that there are eight better wingers than Sam Reinhart.

Not sure why your opinion constitutes you starting another thread on the matter, but here we are.

It’s “hilarious” that you can’t be objective enough to understand why a majority of leaf fans on HF (and real life) see Nylander as the more important, better player.

There’s never a moment too big for Willie Nylander - international tournaments, the trip to Sweden last year, NHL playoffs - Nylander steps up and is a factor. Marner, not so much.

You clearly needed to be explained this again, if you need me to break this down further I’m happy to educate you!

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are we allowed to post articles by James Tanner?

Blogger James Tanner is the on source of the opposition to the rankings .. The original rankings below come from a survey of analysts working for NHL.com and NHL Network.

Here is former NHL Stu Grimson personal rankings vs, NHL survey results.,

1724160411017.png

Video Link:

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not sure why your opinion constitutes you starting another thread on the matter, but here we are.

It’s “hilarious” that you can’t be objective enough to understand why a majority of leaf fans on HF (and real life) see Nylander as the more important, better player.

There’s never a moment too big for Willie Nylander - international tournaments, the trip to Sweden last year, NHL playoffs - Nylander steps up and is a factor. Marner, not so much.

You clearly needed to be explained this again, if you need me to break this down further I’m happy to educate you!
I’ve witnessed Nylander refuse to engage in plays that could have resulted scoring chances, but the most egregious was down a goal with 3.5 mins left in a game 7.
Has proven that’s behind him? Not yet.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d still lean towards saying Marner is the better player, but it’s not as ridiculous as you’re making it seem. Could be preference between offence and defence.

Nylander has been better offensively the last two seasons while not getting the benefit of playing with Matthews. He has to play with whoever the coach feels like it that day. Also a better playoff performer as well. Marner still quite a bit better defensively so that tips the scales in his favour imo, but pretty close overall.
People are certainly welcome to a have a preference and the difference between the two isn't massive but the bolded isn't true.
Marner has had the better P/GP for the last two years(didn't check but it's probably their entire careers), while be the better defensive player.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
His contributions have not been close to good enough for his AAV. There are far too many examples where he refuses to play hockey. He’s not alone, but so far he’s proven that he either doesn’t have skillset to play in the playoffs, he doesn’t want to, or combination of both.
When it’s easy, he’s a great player. Preseason, those shinny games in the winter, the World Championship , terrific, but will he challenge for a puck in the dying minutes of game 7. So far it’s a big fat nope.

If they’re serious about winning, they’ll either commit themselves, or hope that better players are put in the tougher situations, like Domi, Knies, McMann,

It’s more about the NHL Network ranking Nylander ahead of Marner, and both of them in the top 10.
Wtf are you talking about? Remind me who the guy was that scored in game 7 against Boston, or delivered in game 6 when we needed him most? Remind me who the guy was that tied game 5 against Florida in the dying minutes of regulation when the Leafs were on the brink of elimination? Remind me who is the only one that showed up against Montreal, and also scored in game 7? He is literally the only one who actually does anything in those games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

11. Zach Hyman, Edmonton Oilers​

Hyman, who had an NHL career-high 36 goals and 83 points in 2022-23, didn't make this list last season but ranks just outside the top 10 this year after scoring 54 goals (third in the NHL). His 26 power-play points, seven game-winning goals, and 290 shots on goals were also NHL career bests. The 32-year-old left wing had 77 points in 80 games while averaging 19:30 of ice time per game. Hyman led the playoffs with 16 goals and had 22 points in 25 games to help Edmonton reach the Cup Final.

How is my boy Zach Hyman not in the top 10 best wingers at present?. He lead the playoffs in goals with 16 to go along with his 54 on the regular season tying Auston Matthews with 70 goals on 2023-24 season.

How many wingers on that list scored 70 goals last year or any year in a season?

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wtf are you talking about? Remind me who the guy was that scored in game 7 against Boston, or delivered in game 6 when we needed him most? Remind me who the guy was that tied game 5 against Florida in the dying minutes of regulation when the Leafs were on the brink of elimination? Remind me who is the only one that showed up against Montreal, and also scored in game 7? He is literally the only one who actually does anything in those games.
He scored on the easy play. It’s the tough ones where he’s no good and if it’s him in the situation he doing it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anyone interested in seeing the NHL Network results with full descriptions. NHL Top Players: Top 20 wings | NHL.com

NHL Top Players: Top 20 wings

NHL Network reveals best of current crop

10. Mitch Marner, Toronto Maple Leafs​

Marner was third on the Maple Leafs in points (85) last season and led them in assists (59). The 27-year-old right wing was a plus-21 and finished eighth in the NHL among forwards averaging 21:17 of ice time per game. He has scored at least 20 goals in four straight seasons and has had more than 50 assists in five of the past six seasons. Marner finished third in Selke voting as the top defensive forward in 2022-23 and was named to the NHL First All-Star Team in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

8. William Nylander, Toronto Maple Leafs​

Nylander scored 40 goals for the second straight season while setting his career high with 98 points. He led the Maple Leafs with 35 power-play points and was second in power-play goals (11) behind Matthews (18). The 28-year-old right wing had his highest ice time per game in his career (19:55) and also led the Maple Leafs with three goals in four playoff games. Nylander has scored at least 34 goals and 80 points in each of the past three seasons while missing only one game over that span.

Cool of Video of Willy included in rankings explaining his ranking.

1724161818959.png

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He scored on the easy play. It’s the tough ones where he’s no good and if it’s him in the situation he doing it.
If it's so easy for him to repeatedly do that, why can't Marner or Matthews do it then? Pretty braindead take.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe I don’t catch the Stars enough but I wouldn’t have Jason Robertson over either of them.
1724162813309.png

6. Jason Robertson, Dallas Stars​

Despite being down 29 points from his 2022-23 totals, Robertson still led Dallas with 80 points and 51 assists last season, averaging 18:19 of ice time in 82 games. He also led them in power-play points (28), shots on goal (231) and was tied for second with four game-winning goals, The 25-year-old right wing also tied for the Stars lead with 16 points (six goals, 10 assists) in the playoffs to help them reach the Western Conference Final for the second straight season. In his NHL career, Robertson is averaging 1.08 points per game (314 points in 292 games).

In 2022-23 season Robertson finished 7th in goals and 6th in points overall.

1724163148055.png

Last edited:

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I’ve witnessed Nylander refuse to engage in plays that could have resulted scoring chances, but the most egregious was down a goal with 3.5 mins left in a game 7.
Has proven that’s behind him? Not yet.

All these same things could be said for Marner who was invisible last year against FLA as well as this year against BOS. Marner literally ducked hits and avoided direct lanes to the puck to avoid body contact.

Nylander is the more valuable playoff player and overall is the better player on Toronto.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All these same things could be said for Marner who was invisible last year against FLA as well as this year against BOS. Marner literally ducked hits and avoided direct lanes to the puck to avoid body contact.

Nylander is the more valuable playoff player and overall is the better player on Toronto.
I would pick Nylander over Marner since he’s been a little better, but the issue is all three play the same and take up too much ice time and are therefore put in more critical situations and we know they haven’t been good.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner may well have been the better player a few years ago, but that is certainly not true any more. His game has not improved significantly, while Nylander has continued to improve, even while his usual centre has declined.

As a very simple example, Marner produced 45 points last year at 5v5, while his usual centre produced 61; Nylander produced 45 while his usual centre produced 35.

The fact that the writer of the article ignores the most obvious difference between them and focuses on sheer point totals and vague statements is a clear enough indication of bias.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
"but in reality, if you didn't hold the Leafs lack of playoff success against him alone, he is proabably something like the fifth best player alive regardless of position."

James Tanner really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Nylander also had the task of dragging Tavares corpse around.

He’s a much more explosive and dynamic player than Marner.

Scores bigger goals as well. Someone please show me a big playoff goal or moment that Marner has been directly involved in. Not including putting the puck over the glass or that meaningless goal against Boston last year. Please

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If y'all want another good read, check out this one:

The great irony of the Toronto Maple Leafs is that Kyle Dubas was right​

The ex Gm was right, but he just never got the results he deserved

"The Toronto Maple Leafs will live to regret letting Kyle Dubas go in favor of keeping Brendan Shanahan on as president. Although it doesn't seem like it now, the NHL's youngest executive came withing inches of revolutionizing the NHL during his time running the league's premier franchise."

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Early last year, there was an argument that Nylander was the best Leaf... at least until he signed his extension. For the balance of the year he came back down to earth. Marner is superior defensively, but Nylander has been better offensively, and at putting up offense in the playoffs.

They really are pretty close to each other in overall value... as shown by the rankings too. I think it just comes down to preference. If we could ever get them both going at once, and at their best in the playoffs... it really wouldn't matter who was better.

5mokey

Jun 7, 2017
I can tell you one circumstance where Nylanders better and it’s the most important circumstance.
And it’s the playoffs.
Sorry, it’s the truth. And we all hope Mitch wakes the f*** up this playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad