News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Discuss ....

The Toronto Maple Leafs have two of the top ten wingers in hockey, according to the NHL Network.

I think 100% of knowledgable people would agree with that. It's not controverial in any way to state that Mitch Marner and William Nylander are top ten wingers.

Marner has four straight season where he was on pace for 100 points, and is an elite defensive player.

William Nylander is a 40 goal scorer, but he's not so hot at 5v5 and is more of a power-play merchant than anything else. He's still a great player, but you'd have to be completely ignorant about hockey to say that he's better than Marner. You could like him better, just as it's fair to like Right Said Fred more than Beatles, as long as you understand the difference between an opinion and objective reality.

You just can't seriously say that Nylander is objectively superior, because it's not even close.

No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances​

I would hate to say that the NHL Network is just lying for the purposes of engament, but what other conclusion can a person draw?

Marner scores more points, he's ranked higher by expected goals. His 5v5 numbers are superior in every single year of their careers. He plays better defense, and you can look up their respective Jfresh or Athletic Player Cards to see that is better in virtually every way.

You could also just watch a game and use your eyes.

There is no credible person on this planet who can argue that Marner is a worse player than Nylander. That just isn't a defendable argument. Nylander is great. Marner is a hall of fame talent.

Marner came 10th on the list of best wingers, but in reality, if you didn't hold the Leafs lack of playoff success against him alone, he is proabably something like the fifth best player alive regardless of position.

None of the players who scores as much as Marner does - Kucherov, Pastrnak, Rantanan, Kaprizov - also play elite defense. He's better than all of them. Nylander isn't even this list, all due respect.

But even Marner didn't get it the worst on the NHL Networks very silly list. Sam Reinhart was ranked 9th despite scoring 57 times and winning the Stanley Cup last year.

Sure, these lists are annoying, but they are a ton of fun. It is hilarious that anyone thinks Nylander is better than Marner, but it's just sad to say that there are eight better wingers than Sam Reinhart.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The first knock against Nylander compared to Marner mentioned is he's a PP merchant. Nylander has more Even Strength points than Marner the last 2 years..

15 more GP, but still pretty even in terms of EV production. If you're going to write an article about something the least you can do is not immediately lie about basic facts..

I say this while still completely agreeing Marner is the better player. Nylander has probably been a better offensive player the last 2 seasons though considering the Goals and the fact Mitch mostly plays with Matthews. Any list like this is always offense biased.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you need a goal in the last 3 minutes of game 7, we know Nylander is going to give you every ounce of the 50% effort he has.

Panarin might be worse than both Leafs on the list.

Does Hyman not play on the PK now? He should be top 10, certainly over Robertson and Nylander.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
More skilled? Probably. Better player? Not a chance. Nylander consistently produced when mattered. Marner collects a lot of empty points.
In junior? When did Nylander produced when it mattered? There’s evidence he didn't even try and gave up on a play during the final minutes of a game 7. If it’s easy, he’s your guy, but he hasn’t shown he produces when it matters.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
In junior? When did Nylander produced when it mattered? There’s evidence he didn't even try and gave up on a play during the final minutes of a game 7. If it’s easy, he’s your guy, but he hasn’t shown he produces when it matters.

He is the only player that produced consistently in playoffs every year. Marner in games 5-6-7 wasnt even in the same area code, let alone being on the ice

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
At least they both ranked in the top ten.

That's a good thing since their salaries place them in the top five. At this point it's become somewhat of a wash between the two. But if it comes down to a choice I would prefer they keep Nylander.

At least he knows how to keep his mouth shut.

Marner is now only the second player I ever hoped gets traded before Nylander. The first was Michael Bunting. Not surprisingly it's for the same reason too.

Their selfish immaturity.

I think Marner is still the better player too. But the difference between them is so small it doesn't warrant keeping Marner over Nylander if there's a trade for the former. Which should really only be a formality given there's always a market for a player who paces a hundred points a year.

Even if he is a bit overpaid.

Reactions: arso40

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Discuss ....

The Toronto Maple Leafs have two of the top ten wingers in hockey, according to the NHL Network.

I think 100% of knowledgable people would agree with that. It's not controverial in any way to state that Mitch Marner and William Nylander are top ten wingers.

Marner has four straight season where he was on pace for 100 points, and is an elite defensive player.

William Nylander is a 40 goal scorer, but he's not so hot at 5v5 and is more of a power-play merchant than anything else. He's still a great player, but you'd have to be completely ignorant about hockey to say that he's better than Marner. You could like him better, just as it's fair to like Right Said Fred more than Beatles, as long as you understand the difference between an opinion and objective reality.

You just can't seriously say that Nylander is objectively superior, because it's not even close.

No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances​

I would hate to say that the NHL Network is just lying for the purposes of engament, but what other conclusion can a person draw?

Marner scores more points, he's ranked higher by expected goals. His 5v5 numbers are superior in every single year of their careers. He plays better defense, and you can look up their respective Jfresh or Athletic Player Cards to see that is better in virtually every way.

You could also just watch a game and use your eyes.

There is no credible person on this planet who can argue that Marner is a worse player than Nylander. That just isn't a defendable argument. Nylander is great. Marner is a hall of fame talent.

Marner came 10th on the list of best wingers, but in reality, if you didn't hold the Leafs lack of playoff success against him alone, he is proabably something like the fifth best player alive regardless of position.

None of the players who scores as much as Marner does - Kucherov, Pastrnak, Rantanan, Kaprizov - also play elite defense. He's better than all of them. Nylander isn't even this list, all due respect.

But even Marner didn't get it the worst on the NHL Networks very silly list. Sam Reinhart was ranked 9th despite scoring 57 times and winning the Stanley Cup last year.

Sure, these lists are annoying, but they are a ton of fun. It is hilarious that anyone thinks Nylander is better than Marner, but it's just sad to say that there are eight better wingers than Sam Reinhart.

Nice editor in queef? Another propaganda crap probably costing Mitch 100$ in starbucks coupons.

Oh yeah Mitch is so elite on PK (the worst on Leafs at preventing goals on PK :D), so he is clearly superior to Kucherov and Pasta.

No one is buying these comedy pieces .

What we know is that he can't score nowhere close to guys on the list. He can't get close to their point totals despite playing with Matthews.

He has the best defensive reputation in the league . That's it. 11M per year.

One scored 140 points another 60goals playing with Zacha & DK. One is 100 point pacer (not a single 100 point season in his 8 years in NHL).

Please tell me more about Mitch being elite defensively, I especially love how he performed in playoffs. man can't defend juniors when game matters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He is the only player that produced consistently in playoffs every year. Marner in games 5-6-7 wasnt even in the same area code, let alone being on the ice
I doubt the opinion is only focusing on three games, more likely the entire season.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Tre picked Nylander.

Over Marner.

No team that is interested in winning in the post season will have two wingers making over 10 AAV.

The only way to bring Marner back as a Leaf is to pay him more than Nylander.

Anyone with some cap math skills should know that IS NOT WORKABLE.

Mitch will go to the highest bidder as a UFA.

It's Ditch Mitch time.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm not clicking on any editor in leaf articles.

"Any circumstances" is a bit of a question mark. Nylander regularly has games or even months at a time where he's the team's best player, so I'd declare the initial premise to be unsound.

I think that Marner is objectively the better hockey player, and in the regular season is more often our best player than Nylander. But he is absolutely weaker between the ears which is why his playoff results have been worse than Nylander's for a few years now. If the premise of "any circumstances" is to discard the evidence of our eyes in the last few playoff series, that premise is also unsound. Yeah, Marner is a better talent than Nylander, but they're not on wildly different levels and Marner has a great big oozing wound where his playoff performance should be, so that's why we're talking about him.

Furthermore, "who is the better player" is not necessarily an argument over who we should keep long term. I am very capable of thinking that Marner is better and should still be the one to go. Team building isn't about amassing the most best players. That's for winning polls, not playoff rounds.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Furthermore, "who is the better player" is not necessarily an argument over who we should keep long term. I am very capable of thinking that Marner is better and should still be the one to go. Team building isn't about amassing the most best players. That's for winning polls, not playoff rounds.
:clap:

Reactions: LeafGrief

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I’d still lean towards saying Marner is the better player, but it’s not as ridiculous as you’re making it seem. Could be preference between offence and defence.

Nylander has been better offensively the last two seasons while not getting the benefit of playing with Matthews. He has to play with whoever the coach feels like it that day. Also a better playoff performer as well. Marner still quite a bit better defensively so that tips the scales in his favour imo, but pretty close overall.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Can carry the puck, Zone entry - Nylander

slow, clumsy - Marner

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad