"No one is winning" after the Chicago Wolves and Carolina Hurricanes divorce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I have no particular dog in this fight but why is Chicago so rigidly attached to its IHL-era independent team model? I could understand a bit of soreness after the AHL absorbed them, but it's been over 20 years now.

And it's not like their approach yields massive success and needs to be guarded... they have 3 Calder Cups since joining the AHL in 2001 which is better than average of course, but it's not exactly some kind of era of dominance. They've won once in the last 15 years. Would fans even really notice if the Wolves changed their philosophy?
everybody that was active here knew the scenario that Rosemont( they're not Chicago..... because you're not the Hawks, nor do you play in the metro, even when you contact the team it's not Chicago) their fanbase was told numerous times how the AHL operates but chose to ignore it.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I have no particular dog in this fight but why is Chicago so rigidly attached to its IHL-era independent team model? I could understand a bit of soreness after the AHL absorbed them, but it's been over 20 years now.

And it's not like their approach yields massive success and needs to be guarded... they have 3 Calder Cups since joining the AHL in 2001 which is better than average of course, but it's not exactly some kind of era of dominance. They've won once in the last 15 years. Would fans even really notice if the Wolves changed their philosophy?
Now that you've heard from the peanut gallery would you like to hear from an actual season ticketholder?
Once you get past hutch's incessant need to cry about the whole Rosemont/Chicago crap...He still btw hasn't been able to explain why it's wrong for them to be called the "CHICAGO" Wolves and yet it's ok for the NEW YORK Giants and the NEW YORK Jets to be able to retain their name while playing in NEW JERSEY...And let's not even get started about the LOS ANGELES ANGELS of ANAHEIM California Planet earth
Now back to the actual topic at hand...he does have a way of drifting a bit....Being an independently owned team the Wolves rely upon ticket revenue to pay the bills...they don't have an NHL sugar Daddy to pay them for them. The way to sell tickets is to win games...pretty basic. Somewhere along the line this narrative of the Wolves didn't care about anything but winning and not developing players started floating around. Just like in politics...if you say something often enough people start to believe it regardless of truth .People like hutch have some sort of axe to grind with the Wolves...maybe it's because they have been so successful unlike say his Portland team that doesn't even exist anymore...I don't know? And truthfully also don't care.
But I can tell you that with each affiliation the Wolves have had they have all come with certain "agreements" between them and the parent club. In some cases those agreements were broken by the parent club such as for example...the parent club says it will be assigning player A to the Wolves during camp...they end up not assigning the player and keep him as say the 13th or 14th forward...Player A is a goal scorer and is out of place as that 13th-14th forward on an NHL roster...the agreements have always allowed the Wolves to sign players to Wolves contracts...the Wolves aren't able to sign another goal scorer that late in camp to fill the now vacant roster spot. I get it ...it happens sometimes where a player impresses the big club and makes the team...but when it happens more then just a couple times with the same club then that's a problem since remember the Wolves have to put people in the seats to pay the bills. And to do that you need to field a strong team...Thus a break up occurs and then the "comments" get made and everyone latches on to them as fact. Funny thing is...as much as the comments come about the Wolves and how they don't develop players etc...you'd be hard pressed to find 1 former player who will say a bad thing about the Wolves and as recent as last summer you had multiple former Wolves saying they wanted to come back and play here on the independent team or coach here.
Truth is the Wolves aren't holding onto some old IHL mentality that is just people trying to find a way to mitigate the success they had back in the late 90's -early 2000's when all of that talk started and to talk about your era of dominance comment...around the time these comments started to make the rounds the Chicago Wolves were in an era of actual dominance...winning 3 league championships between 2 leagues in 5 seasons, including a Calder cup their 1st yr in the AHL...I would call that pretty dominant

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018

They got drunk on power when the hawks were terrible.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Hiring Pat Foley and taunting the hawks about winning.
Their pxp guy left the organization the year before they hired Foley...wasn't a hard hire since he is local...highly doubt the hire was made to "spite" the hawks...put another way the hawks and their fans spend WAAAAAAAAY more time worrying about the Wolves than Wolves fans do them. Personally I hated the foley hire...I don't think he's near the broadcaster that others have made him out to be and quite frankly having met him etc he's a legend in his own mind.

Taunting the hawks about winning and losing? If you knew the whole story between the two teams youd understand it all a bit more Ask Steve McCarthy about it someday, but if they really wanted to taunt them on something they couldve taunted them about the times that both teams were playing at the same time and the Wolves outdrew the hawks and even with the hawks fabricated numbers it wasnt even close. Or the fact that one of those days ESPN came into town to do a feature on Chicago hockey and the hawks wouldn't even let them into the building that day because the Wolves were outdrawing them the afternoon...

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Well said, I actually have a Chicago wolves jersey. Shame the IHL isn’t around anymore.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Well said, I actually have a Chicago wolves jersey. Shame the IHL isn’t around anymore.
Nice...The IHL ran it's course. It's biggest mistake was to try to compete with the NHL and that cost them the league. The IHL was a nice league for NHL players on the back end of their careers to play at home instead of going over to europe and the DEL etc. And it also did provide some teams with a place to put their tweeners as well. Hockey could use a league like that now...a place for teams to put their 23-24 yr old veteran players who wont make the parent club...imagine being told you are washed up at 23-24...kinda what the AHL veteran rule does in some cases

I'll tell you the Steve McCarthy story here...during the 04-05 NHL lockout McCarthy wanted to sign a deal with the Wolves to keep playing and stay in shape in case a deal was reached...Ive known Steve for years and confirmed this all with him when he actually did sign a deal with the Wolves...Bill Wirtz told McCarthy that he was free to sign with the Wolves if he wanted...BUT if he did he could put his house up for sale because he'd never wear a hawks uniform again. He was traded next year to Vancouver. 94-95 there is a story that Roenick wanted to do the same and wirtz shot it down...no clue if true but given what happened with McCarthy.....

Second Wirtz -Wolves story... back when the Wolves announced they were coming to Chicago and going to play in the then named Rosemont Horizon....Wirtz owned the biggest...still does...liquor distributorship in the Ill...he told the Horizon mgmt that if they allowed the Wolves to play there he would pull all of his distributorship from the building...That is how petty and small the guy was...so now you see why the Wolves would take any shot they could at the hawks and wirtz in particular...he literally tried to put them out of business before they ever started. This is all coming from a guy who has been a Wolves season ticket holder for decades

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah Dollar Bill was terrible and the Hawks were bad for a reason. My friend works for the Wirtz corporation and said Rocky was great. Great that Roenick got in the hall of fame.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Yeah Dollar Bill was terrible and the Hawks were bad for a reason. My friend works for the Wirtz corporation and said Rocky was great. Great that Roenick got in the hall of fame.
Rocky was a chip off the ol block and more like his dad then people realize...don't believe me watch the disastrous press conference the idiot did right after the kyle beach crap....the one where he basically said that this is a press conference and the last thing I want to do is answer questions. The only reason Roenick is FINALLY where he belongs is the old man and rocky are dead and no one else there can think of or remember why they black balled him to begin with. Yes the wirtz family has that much pull at the hof

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah that was a public relations disaster. Don’t get me started on Bob Pulford.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Yeah that was a public relations disaster. Don’t get me started on Bob Pulford.
Pulford was in the perfect position...he was $$$Bill's boy and did his bidding no questions asked...best part for him was...he didn't get the blame...Wirtz did
His reward for decades of unwavering loyalty??? He got in the hof due to the wirtz influence

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah Stan was a golf pro in the offseason.
IMG_0355.jpeg

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Did your boss know Ferris Bueller, too? :scared:

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. ..."
My dad knew Kevin Bacon from staying at the same hotel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad