No one cares about Canucks in Vancouver...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vancouver is not a true sports-town/city. We're really not that passionate about our sports. The Giants haven't been doing well at the gate. The Lions haven't been doing well at the gate. The Canadians have been doing well at the gate, but this is a single A ballclub and you can go to the game for the price of a movie ticket. The White Caps seem to be doing pretty well relative to the rest of the league but the experience is night and day vs the experience you get going to a Sounders game.

But like Pastor quoted, the Canucks actually did really well with their season ticket renewals.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
The Athletic,Sep 2018...
"Earlier this month, the Canucks’ season-ticket renewal rate crept over 90 per cent and into the top 10 in the league. The NHL average is less than 80 per cent.
For the Canucks, it was more than a six per cent increase year over year, which is good for fifth in annual growth.
It qualifies as momentum.
The 10 per cent of season tickets which weren’t renewed have already been sold and then some. There will be fewer available single-game tickets this season than last."

The Pettersson factor

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They saw that boost under Jeff Stipec as COO who they've already parted ways with... will it effect things in the future?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Vancouver has never been a great sports market

Vancouver has this reputation but I disagree. We are a sports town, but we are a bit snobby and only care about winners and events.

When we have a good winning team people care. The Olympics, people cared. Rugby 7s people care. Some big soccer games people care. When the lions are doing well, or the white caps.

Hell the Grizzlies were a top half of the NBA in attendance until their final season and they were terrible.

Give us winners and we will be there.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This hasn’t been my experience at all. Lots of people are starting to care about the Canucks again and lots of people agree with the decisions that management has made. With respect, the only place where I have seen that this isn’t the case is in here. Outside of this section of the website, Canuck Nation is very much alive, well, and positive. This positivity also extends beyond the presence of Elias Pettersson.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The Athletic,Sep 2018...
"Earlier this month, the Canucks’ season-ticket renewal rate crept over 90 per cent and into the top 10 in the league. The NHL average is less than 80 per cent.
For the Canucks, it was more than a six per cent increase year over year, which is good for fifth in annual growth.
It qualifies as momentum.
The 10 per cent of season tickets which weren’t renewed have already been sold and then some. There will be fewer available single-game tickets this season than last."

Just as I suspected.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Pettersson factor
... and that quote was before the pre season even started...Given the excitement that EP has delivered, one can only assume that season tickets are even more on the upswing....When Hughes gets here, add another layer to that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Who is ryan anyway?...He could be in grade 8 for all we know..

Anyway,well known fact that the fans won't come out if the team is on a down cycle...Vancouver is not like other Canadian cities in this regard.

Fans are excited about Pettersson and Boeser. Maybe if this stupid team would focus on an actual rebuild and not pushing playoffs every year there would be more fan interest, and they probably would be ready to make the playoffs by now as a legit threat.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Yup, only the die hards still follow the team but many barely care about the team right now.

The apathy is even getting to me a bit mostly because I have 0 faith in Benning turning this team into a playoff team, forget about being a contender with him as GM. No way it happens with his awful managing.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Back in the bad old days of PPV the town I live in (13,000+ people) didn't have a single pub showing the games. When I asked they usually said that nobody came to them and that they weren't worth the cost (which was significant)...

Didn't know Lhuntshi had a pub. Huh.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Compare that to 2011. Amazing what talent and management can do for the popularity of a team.

Can you really blame people with how boring our team has been to watch the last few years? This is the first year in awhile I'm actually interested in the on ice product.
Then they don't have the right to call themselves Canucks fans when things get better.

A fan is for life, not just the good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad