Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA: Buckle Up, Folks... It's Going To Be A Wild Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Of course but you can still trade them.

Shapiro knows one thing very well and that's value of performance in terms of real dollars and in projecting future value based on depreciating performance. I suspect we will start to operate a little more like Tampa Bay in how we cut bait with players before they plummet in value and then use them to restock the system.

Also, the Indians assistant GM will be named GM. He was hand picked by Shapiro to do the job in Cleveland and is a smart young mind.

no but what i mean is.
we picked up their contracts and they have 15 rights, right? that 10/5 thinger? so that means they can't be moved.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Most people were feeling good after the season we had and now this. Talk about a complete 180 on the enthusiasm you had going into the offseason.

Last edited:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Most people were feeling good after the season we had and now this. Talk about a complete 360 on the enthusiasm you had going into the offseason.

No kidding. Because of this, I think Price is now gone rather than being 50/50, and who knows what the roster looks like when the season starts.

no but what i mean is.
we picked up their contracts and they have 15 rights, right? that 10/5 thinger? so that means they can't be moved.

It's not that they can't be moved. It's that any trade involving them can be vetoed by them. It's basically a NTC with much greater control.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Because they might really like it in Toronto and the team is set up to be really good next year regardless of how much they add.

The team was 51-52 at the trade deadline, in spite of the historic offense and good defense (Reyes notwithstanding). Entirely due to pitching.

If you take last years pitching: add stroman, take away Buerhle and Estrada. Take out lowe ftom the bullpen. Does that scream "competitive" to you?

In other words, if prospect trades a la AA are completely off the table, Shapiro had better go to Rogers, hat in hand, and beg for a check labeled "mlb pitching". And if they say no, dumping the guys whose value is literally never going to be higher is a prudent move.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Most people were feeling good after the season we had and now this. Talk about a complete 360 on the enthusiasm you had going into the offseason.

Do me a favour, stand up straight and do a 360. Then tell me which direction you are facing.

Wink.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
>Risk With Big Free Agents “Not Something That Fits What We’re Doing Hereâ€

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/...not-something-that-fits-what-were-doing-here/

Sure does make you wonder what he thinks of David Price. FWIW Shapiro being official means the nail in the coffin is final, Price won't come back.

That should have very little impact on the Jays. "What we're doing here" with Cleveland meant trying to field a relatively competitive team while competing the Tampa Bay and Florida for the lowest payroll in the league. Obviously free agency didn't fit as part of their plan.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
If Shapiro is stupid enough to get rid of Bautista I hope he goes wherever AA lands and comes back to haunt the Jays. Im so turned off by this move, i can't believe how we went from riding the high of being two games from the world series to this BS. Between going behind Beestons back last year to find his replacement to dropping the ball with resigning AA i've had enough of Rogers bush league moves.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That should have very little impact on the Jays. "What we're doing here" with Cleveland meant trying to field a relatively competitive team while competing the Tampa Bay and Florida for the lowest payroll in the league. Obviously free agency didn't fit as part of their plan.

You don't think that'll continue with how much Rogers is allergic to spending money on the team? Especially considering the whole "wow you gave up too many prospects" from Shapiro.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The team was 51-52 at the trade deadline, in spite of the historic offense and good defense (Reyes notwithstanding). Entirely due to pitching.

If you take last years pitching: add stroman, take away Buerhle and Estrada. Take out lowe ftom the bullpen. Does that scream "competitive" to you?

In other words, if prospect trades a la AA are completely off the table, Shapiro had better go to Rogers, hat in hand, and beg for a check labeled "mlb pitching". And if they say no, dumping the guys whose value is literally never going to be higher is a prudent move.

Estrada wasn't even in the rotation to start the year. Things change.

They're obviously not going to do absolutely nothing this offseason. They could sign a couple back-end starters and still be the AL East favourites.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Doesn't make sense. Rebuilding a team that made it to the playoffs sounds ridiculous to me. Regardless of AA being here or not, you really think the owners want this team to rebuild and be bad after making it to the playoffs and making a ton of $$$? Unless they're being paid off somewhere then there's no way this team goes into a rebuild.

???

How does it not make sense for a rebuilding team to pick up those options?

Whether they're rebuilding or not, it's smart business to exercise the Dickey, EE and Bautista options. If you're going to try and win - you have them. If you're going to rebuild - you can trade them for assets that match your rebuilding timeline.

The thing that makes the least amount of sense is declining the options and letting them all leave for nothing.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You don't think that'll continue with how much Rogers is allergic to spending money on the team?

The Jays had a payroll of $140 million last year. Cleveland started the year at $77 million and dumped salary throughout the season.

The two situations are in no way comparable.

mikebel111*

This may just ruin my next few days. Terrible news to wake up too. However AA was offered an extension and didn't accept for whatever the reasons are. Whatever that's life and business.

Good luck AA in the future. You are awesome and left many great memories

I am sad though:(

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This is what happens with corporate ownership of sports teams. In the corporate world, usually when a new exec comes in they feel the need to make some significant change to put their stamp on their organization. Lower level execs and managers are often seen as fungible; resources to be allocated as the company needs. They wouldn't consider someone like AA as important or irreplaceable as we fans do, because in their minds they, the senior execs, are just as responsible for the company's success as the people who work under them. They believe that, even if someone like AA was successful due to his talent, they can recruit someone just as talented to replace him. After all, that's why they work above him.

It's a joke, it's happened to the Leafs multiple times over the past decades too. They didn't lose anyone as good as AA, but there have been all sorts of front office cluster****s where the top hockey guy (if there was one), was undermined by a meddling board or non-hockey President. Now it's happening to the Jays. Don't be surprised if the same thing happens to Shanny before he's able to finish what he's started, maybe even within the next year or two if this Air Canada guy turns out to be a megalomaniac like his predecessors.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
No kidding. Because of this, I think Price is now gone rather than being 50/50, and who knows what the roster looks like when the season starts.

It's not that they can't be moved. It's that any trade involving them can be vetoed by them. It's basically a NTC with much greater control.

oh thanks for the clarification :)
while I know the team excited before August 15th - still not clear on everything ;)

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The Jays had a payroll of $140 million last year. Cleveland started the year at $77 million and dumped salary throughout the season.

The two situations are in no way comparable.

I'm not comparing the two situations. I'm implying that Rogers might not want to move north of 140/150mil if it meant bolstering the rotation, and Shapiro can fit into the plan of cheapening things.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i think...

everyone needs to take a deep breath and see where this goes before people freak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad