No Cinderella teams this year

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
It's so weird that people aren't surprised by a Leafs almost come back from 3-1 down but lose in OT.

But then again, I also predicted this to my Bruins friend....
I'm a Bruins fan and was more surprised by the Bruins going up 3-1 than the Leafs coming back. They always go 7 don't they? As much as we love to get on the Leafs, they're a tough out

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
And who lost their Vezina finalist goalie and went to a raw rookie. I enjoyed reading all of the obituaries saying the Canucks were lucky to beat Nashville and would be beaten in 4 or 5 games by the Oilers.
In lieu of flowers please make a donation to your favourite charity. 😆
Faced heavy adversity in the 1st round and were huge underdogs going into round 2, screams Cinderella story to me

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
We really don’t get them every year or a lot at all. When I think Cinderella team, it’s a team playing way over their heads

2024: None
2023: Florida but they were more of a team playing true to their potential.
2022: None
2021: Montreal was a true Cinderella run
2020: None
2019: Blues like Florida just started playing to their potential
2018: Vegas I guess if you count regular season but they proved to be a good team.
2017: Nashville I guess but do you notice a trend…
2016: None
2015: None

Reactions: dukeofjive

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So you agree it’s a Cinderella run, noted.
Haha, Jesus Christ.

I predicted before the series started that Canucks would oust the Oilers. And I'm cheering for you guys, because the Oilers fanbase is the most annoying one at HfBoards. But the fact that you have sucked so long and remained in silence has blurred the memories how obnoxious you guys are as well.

I mean if you want to consider yourselves as the divisional winners as this huge underdog and a Cinderella story, and how the rest of the folks should cheer on you because you are so small and pitiful team against the mighty Oilers, be my guest.

I still hope you win tonight but that's just because the Oilers are even more annoying than you. That's not a feat BTW.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Haha, Jesus Christ.

I predicted before the series started that Canucks would oust the Oilers. And I'm cheering for you guys, because the Oilers fanbase is the most annoying one at HfBoards. But the fact that you have sucked so long and remained in silence has blurred the memories how obnoxious you guys are as well.

I mean if you want to consider yourselves as the divisional winners as this huge underdog and a Cinderella story, and how the rest of the folks should cheer on you because you are so small and pitiful team against the mighty Oilers, be my guest.

I still hope you win tonight but that's just because the Oilers are even more annoying than you. That's not a feat BTW.

It’s been a fun Cinderella run, have far exceeded expectation. Whatever happens this series is whatever

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think Dallas, Florida and Vancouver were expected to be nearly as good as they have been in the post season.

Edmonton and New York are also exceeding expectations, even from within the season.

"Cinderella" teams aren't always a given, but we sure as hell have had some underdogs coming out of (seemingly) no where.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Dallas, Florida and Vancouver were expected to be nearly as good as they have been in the post season.

Edmonton and New York are also exceeding expectations, even from within the season.

"Cinderella" teams aren't always a given, but we sure as hell have had some underdogs coming out of (seemingly) no where.
Florida and Dallas were expected to be good

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s been a fun Cinderella run, have far exceeded expectation. Whatever happens this series is whatever
Sure, all has been gravy for Canucks fans after rd1. One could argue even getting to the playoffs probably satisfied the most, I would assume.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Good, for sure, but conference finals good?

I remember predictions of each team barely scraping into the playoffs, or getting bounced early by Boston or Vegas.
Based on last season and regular season, they were the expected to go far

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Good. The cinderella teams always get slapped in the finals anyway and make the finals boring af.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Canucks don't give a damn about your opinions, stats or fancy glass slippers. All they want is the Cup and they show that every game, every night, from the best players to their third string goaltenders rocking it as if they were elite starters.

Cats711

Apr 24, 2022
UK
The Canucks, even though they won the division, they are massive underdogs.

Almost everybody picked Oilers to win.

View attachment 872992
Pretty much everyone picks Oilers because of McDavid and Draisaitl and they are media darlings.

Edmonton have a poor D, suspect goaltending and are always vulnerable.

Don't get me wrong offensively they are a juggernaut. Best PP I have seen in a long time but they always give teams a chance.

Vancouver are hard to breakdown as they have proven and done it without their no1 goaltender for most of the playoffs. (Another reason I think alot sided with Oilers)

Their PP is also very good. I really like Vancouver (also because they had Loungo for a few years)

Whoever wins the series, I wouldn't say it's a shock either way. Just 2 great teams going at it.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
The Canucks, even though they won the division, they are massive underdogs.

Almost everybody picked Oilers to win.

View attachment 872992
Anyone putting the label of underdogs on the Canucks clearly don't watch hockey. I think both teams are fairly close and have different strengths. Edmonton has always struggled with Vancouver for whatever reason; even in seasons where the Canucks weren't in the playoffs they were always a super hard match up.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Sorry

May 18, 2005
A couple teams will definitely become pumpkins before midnight, though.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
What the? How can a team that finishes in first, 5 points ahead of their opponent, and went 4-0 against them (outscored them 21-7) in the regular season be called an underdog? It's just a strange take and odd that so many picked Edmonton over Vancouver. The star power of McDavid blind people?

And I say this as a neutral fan..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad