NMC's, does there need to be a CBA change

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hmmm, I agree with both sides. As a fan I hate it. That being said if the teams cower and give in, it is what it is. I think Daisy Jane had a good middle ground. Restrict the number of teams not a full blown NMC. Maybe 10-15 teams.
Allow 2 per team max. Imagine the manipulations that could come into play. You can’t trade for player x because you already have 2 nmc’s on the roster, unless he drops his nmc or one of your current nmc’s drops his to help the team.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just don't give them out. You don't need to make a rule to make it to happen. (TRE) I have more of a issue with the length of contracts in players declining years because what that really does is take money from lesser players still in their prime and give it to a group who almost all never earn it the last few years. If they aren't taking less on the 2nd contract any more they shouldn't be milking it on the last one. But the GMs don't have to do those deals either. Nut up FFS.

They don't have to play hardball on every deal but they don't have to bend over every time either. If you never gave a good player less than a range topping deal, why wouldn't your players expect that every time? If you never dealt a player that was putting the blocks to you on a contract negotiation what is your hammer? "Be reasonable or else I will make you wait before I cave". Nice strategy boys.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There are ELEVEN players on the team with some form of trade protection.

Including such studs as Jarnkrok, Kampf, and McCabe. Once upon a time teams gave NTC's to good players who took discounts. These days the Leafs just give them to everyone even if they overpay.

That's what the players call having your cake and eating it too.

The insane idea all these guys deserve any sort of trade protection is crap. This is a serious business. And this business is facing some serious problems.

Something needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly.

The longer they allow this to continue the worse it's gonna get. A whopping one half the team already has a NTC. They've painted themselves into a corner from which there is no escape as a result.

They can't trade one of these losers in order to fix this mess now even if they wanted to.

Teams already hold disproportionate leverage compared to players under the cba. Movement and trade protection clause for ufas are one of the few benefits they can point having.

Maybe if the league let players become ufa several years earlier they'd be more receptive to reforms here.

And again, not a single Leafs GM was ever forced to give out a movement clause. The team has been willing participants in every single one.

Sep 18, 2009
as a player i would want a NMC for sure you need to have same secuirty for you and your family rigt?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00