NMC's, does there need to be a CBA change

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I'm sick of the players getting full NMC's and the team being held hostage by what could be a disgruntled or just ineffective players.

Should there be a discussion before the next CBA, of some limitations to the NMC's? Like if a player requests a trade, the NMC is void, or some sort of a rule in a contract longer than 5 years the last two years there can't be any NMC's, etc....

Players already have a guaranteed money contract. Trades have always bee a part of hockey. Salary cap has diminished that big time, the full NMC's are hurting even more.

Wayne Gretzky got traded, Gilmour got traded,, Patrick Roy got traded, etc... It's time to end or limit this crap.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It is players' right to ask the AAV and other goodies like NMCs/NTCs

It is however management that agrees to it and gives it to them. If Leafs management can be shrewd and stop handing them out like Halloween candies then thats the first win.

Second, there have been cases in NHL where players have been asked to waive NTCs/NMCs too. To my knowledge from what I've seen (unless someone else has other info); Treliving did not approach Marner and Tavares to waive their NTCs/NMCs

My guess is that they are going to wait it out one more year. The issue also is that the current situation that Treliving inherited is not something he did; it was done by dubas. At the same time, the current full NTCs/NMCs given by treliving to matthews and nylander is something he owns up

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Its rather inconvenient when you want to make trades eh? Maybe dont give them out like candy, no reason players should get full NMC, No Discounts and longest term all at once with every big contract.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe for RFA's.

Once you become a UFA and choose the place you would like to play I think it is fair to have a no movement clause if both parties agree.

Yes you get compensated extremely well, but when you have a young family, you want some stability and security knowing you won't have to pack up and uproot them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Second, there have been cases in NHL where players have been asked to waive NTCs/NMCs too. To my knowledge from what I've seen (unless someone else has other info); Treliving did not approach Marner and Tavares to waive their NTCs/NMCs

all Treliving said was he wasn't commenting either way.
which i feel is the smart thing to do.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Give each team the ability to offer 5 (or whatever the number is) contracts only as NMC.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
No issues with NMC. GMs are the ones tying their own hands together. Add to this the fact they all hurry to spend to the cap, then are stuck there too. 1 of 32 wins, the rest just made bad moves.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm sick of the players getting full NMC's and the team being held hostage by what could be a disgruntled or just ineffective players.

Should there be a discussion before the next CBA, of some limitations to the NMC's? Like if a player requests a trade, the NMC is void, or some sort of a rule in a contract longer than 5 years the last two years there can't be any NMC's, etc....

Players already have a guaranteed money contract. Trades have always bee a part of hockey. Salary cap has diminished that big time, the full NMC's are hurting even more.

Wayne Gretzky got traded, Gilmour got traded,, Patrick Roy got traded, etc... It's time to end or limit this crap.
Gretzky, Gilmour and Roy were all traded prior to the salary cap era and moved for various reasons (monetary, team rebuild and demanding a trade respectively). Easing up on NMCs will likely just result in an increase of salaries while shifting the problem from one facet to another.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009

100%. The origins of NMC clause was due to the Wade Redden contract with the NYR & essentially burying his entire $6m cap hit in Hartford with zero consequences on their cap space. This is no longer an issue in the league. I would be fine with a full NTC or a modified NTC.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
If the league wants more superstar player movement and the publicity that comes with it, the answer is yes. But the NHL has always been a conservative league.

As for just saying no to NMCs, that ship has sailed. You'll just end up losing too many good players to other teams.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You realize this stuff is negotiated by both sides? What significant change to the CBA would the Owners give up to make these changes to the NMC?

You'd see way more trades by removing the salary cap than removing NMC/NTC.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
NHLPA won't allow it. GM's did it to themselves once they started to hand them out.

Realistically they give players some control on where they would like to go if traded.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
GM's want players, so GM's offer the players what they want. It's a competitive process, so GM's write cheques they can't cash. Salaries and trade protection balloon out of control. Owners lock out the players to get things under control. GM's want players, so the cycle repeats.

Ultimately, this is the fault of management, but I feel that the CBA should protect management from themselves in several ways, because it is the fans who lose out when a weak GM hamstrings his team for half a decade. Limits to NMC's and compliance buyouts would make for a better product.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Where there needs to be a CBA change is the salary cap based on net income and not gross taxable.

Cap was supposed to be a level playing field. It's not. Some jurisdictions have a clear advantage.

As the cap continues to grow that advantage becomes larger and larger.

The league will be forced to deal with it at some point.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe for RFA's.

Once you become a UFA and choose the place you would like to play I think it is fair to have a no movement clause if both parties agree.

Yes you get compensated extremely well, but when you have a young family, you want some stability and security knowing you won't have to pack up and uproot them.

RFA’s cannot get NMC’s

Reactions: Jojalu

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Are you sick of players, or are you just focusing on one particular player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad