Claimed off Waivers: [NJD] Nathan Bastian claimed off waivers by the Devils from the Kraken

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don't blame Francis for picking Bastian. The Devils fans were praying him to take anyone but Nate. However a little more pre-planning when you are building your team would have been good. Why pick guys you don't sign? Why load up your team with waiver eligable players if you know you have to waive some of them. Pick AHL and/or waiver exempt players, or better yet make deals that you'll pick an AHL player in exchange for an extra draft pick.

This worked out great for the devils though, fans and players love Bastian, Johnsson has been great and even PK has been decent in a 3rd pairing role.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Ron Francis has been getting bullied by his fellow general managers...

Losing Bastian to waivers is another lost asset just givin away.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Appleton has been out because he's been injured. He really hasn't been a healthy scratch at all.

That said, he hasn't been very good. He's been caught flat footed watching the play in the neutral zone a lot. Regularly has been chasing the pick in his own end and caught out of position, and he has made a lot of mental mistakes in most games he's played in.

He's a young player playing in a new system, so a lot of the errors are to be expected, but people in here making him out to be some can't miss future top line player are getting way ahead of themselves.

If you read carefully I never said he was scratched, I understand he's injured as he's basically partially the reason I've been paying attention to the Kraken as I liked him a lot on the Jets. But he was playing on the second line in Winnipeg and was playing fantastic. In Seattle he's on the 3rd/4th line and in Philly Hakstol would always play vets over young players.

If he was playing on the first/second line I think he'd definitely put up more points and help the team win, but there's one Wright way for Seattle it seems.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Looking forward to seeing old man Nate Thompson, arguably the worst player in the entire NHL, kick his ass again.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If you read carefully I never said he was scratched, I understand he's injured as he's basically partially the reason I've been paying attention to the Kraken as I liked him a lot on the Jets. But he was playing on the second line in Winnipeg and was playing fantastic. In Seattle he's on the 3rd/4th line and in Philly Hakstol would always play vets over young players.

If he was playing on the first/second line I think he'd definitely put up more points and help the team win, but there's one Wright way for Seattle it seems.

Winnipeg's top two lines were almost exclusively a combination of Wheeler - Sheifele -Stastny - Ehlers - Dubois - Connor.

Appleton played 14 minutes a night last season with the jets and skated almost exclusively with Lowry and Copp. The trio scored .66 goals a game combined. that is a .22 goals a game average per player. While Copp did have the 5th most PP time for forwards, Lowry and Appleton were 8th and 10th, respectively.

Not sure if you are trolling with this argument, or don't actually watch the games.

But in regards to Seattle, the team doesn't have a clear cut top six. Hakstol is throwing all lines out there and expecting them to be scoring lines. Playing with Tanev and McCann is not really a drop off from playing with Wennberg or Jarnkrok.

Granted, his icetime has been realtively low, but part of that is that he was injured early in one game and has only played 8 games, so that skewed the stat quite a bit too.

Bottom line, he hasn't played great to warrant substantial icetime yet. He played pretty good in his return last game, but still made some mistakes. He needs to clean up his game away from the puck, and he should get more minutes.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Come on Uncle Ron, I liked Bastian.

This name reminds me of...

maxresdefault.jpg

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Then why hasn't St. Louis flipped him yet? They've been trying to for awhile and now that he's playing better he should get them even more, what is Armstrong doing?

You have 30 selections and a 23 man roster. This is before free agency even begins. Besides a couple of goalies every player available was waiver eligible. You have an AHL affiliate that needs players and you don't have any prospects to send them. There was always going to be players waived, you just hoped you can get them through waivers.
To the bolded, Tarasenko has a NTC so the few teams he’d be most likely to waive for are/probably are close to the cap so they need STL to retain which we really can’t do much of. If Seattle takes him they could of retained a good chunk and probably would have some pretty good offers.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I feel like this has happened a few times now, where Seattle has already cast away one of their expansion picks and he ends up either with a different team or the original team that left him exposed.

What is Ron Francis doing over there, anyway? :laugh:
Rangers fans are thrilled the Seattles didn’t take Gauthier.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I always think of ODB when I hear this guys name. He's always been Old dirty Bastian to me.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Ron Francis has been taking so many Ls. How many guys now did he take in the expansion draft/waivers and end up just handing back to their originals teams?

Awful move by Seattle to lose vim. Francis did the expansiondraft just like he didnt want to participate. Very bad overall drafting.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Awful move by Seattle to lose vim. Francis did the expansiondraft just like he didnt want to participate. Very bad overall drafting.
What are they supposed to do with him then? He couldn't beat out Ryan Donato for a spot. The other options for New Jersey weren't any better and don't say Johnsson, he was not playing like this the past two seasons.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What are they supposed to do with him then? He couldn't beat out Ryan Donato for a spot. The other options for New Jersey weren't any better and don't say Johnsson, he was not playing like this the past two seasons.

Oilers should maybe trade for gje guy. Annoying pest who can check and score some.

Benson Sceviour Bastian - the pest line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad