Claimed off Waivers: [NJD] Mason Geertsen claimed off waivers by the Devils from the Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hughes just got hurt from a crosscheck from Ross Johnston in the last pre-season game. Supposedly isn’t serious, but enough for him to be in pain the next shift and miss the third period.

This seems like it could be a knee jerk reaction to that. But Ruff does like to carry 8D in the regular season, this would line Geertsen up to be the 4LD behind Graves - Smith - Siegenthaler. Only other options at the moment are young kids with Jaros being the 4RD.

Reactions: vandymeer13

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Mason was given a contract by the Rangers in advance of a Tom Wilson game scenario with last year's baseball schedule (I think there was some rough stuff early on in the Canada division), but then he got hurt in Hartford before the actual Tom Wilson game. I didn't know the Devils had a rough preseason game until now.

Obviously he's a goon. I think he was an okay stay at home D at the AHL level. They moved him up to wing for roster flexibility, and it's probably easier to carry a goon winger than a goon defenseman.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Traditionally, pre-season waivers have always been about back-up goalies and face-punchers.
Plus to cover to short term injuries to begin the season. That's why teams opt to send down waiver exempt player despite what they do in the pre-season to ensure that they maintain depth during the season.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I remember when the Avs drafted Mason. I’d hoped he would turn into a decent 3rd pairing stay at home guy but he lacked puck skills and skating to play in the Avs system. Maybe he just needed more time to develop? Nice to see he is still getting a chance.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
OH NO!!! NOT MASON GEERTSEN!! What were they thinking leaving him unprotected!!!

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I thought this guy was going to be called up for the Washington game last year.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Graves, Vesey, and now Geertsen? Four more Rangers castaways, and the Devils get a free three-hour tour.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Is he good enough at face punching to be a deterrent ?
Devils don’t really have a good face puncher in their normal lineup except for maybe McLeod and Wood and they aren’t anywhere near heavyweights .

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
At least we didn’t trade a first liner, a decent pick, or give 6 years to add GRIT

That's exactly what the Islanders did with Tavares and they're the 2nd best team in the East... and as far as I can recall the Devils traded a higher pick than the Rangers did this offseason to bring in Ryan Graves.. who brings nothing but grit.

I also seem to recall the Devils trading a shit ton more for Gusev than the Rangers did for Panarin.

I'm sorry.. I know it's far easier for you to punch up than it is for me to punch down, I feel like too much of a bully.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Seems to be just a preseason move. Smith is out with some injury and we have games coming up where we can use another big body while also giving some regulars rest.

Washington/Wilson
Rangers/Reaves
Islanders/Martin, Clutterbuck, Johnston.

Reactions: lucifer91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad