Salary Cap: NJD Major Offseason Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
If Blandisi is not ready then Zacha at C. It looks like they will both be on the team, someone has to play C.

If Blandisi is not ready to play C, what makes us think Zacha is? As much as we know Zacha is a stud with raw, pure talent, playing an NHL center is more than a little step up from playing juniors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't he even played mostly wing this season in Sarnia?

Optimistic Unrestricted Free Agency:

Yandle, K. - (NYR for 2015-16) 6-year, $6.3M AAV (they need a more veteran point-producer from the back-end, can eat tough minutes, too)
Eriksson, L. - (BOS for 2015-16) 5-year, $6.15M AAV (overpayment, I know--but could be a good fit)
Nielsen, F. - (NYI for 2015-16) 2-year, $3.9M AAV (might be too low here though)
Sceviour, C. - (DAL for 2015-16) 1-year, $1.1M (maybe?)

You want to give Eriksson THAT term while sitting the few young players we already have that have shown something (anything) on NHL level? Doesn't even remotely add up. Blandisi and Pietila are easily going to overtake Loui's role/production/capacity by the end of the second year of that contract, and even then we have no clue how well developed JQ is (or if he turns into Matteau 2.0). I'd take Eriksson at a reasonable cap hit but five years is insanity. He'll be sitting with Clowe by the end of year two, book it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Blandisi is not ready then Zacha at C. It looks like they will both be on the team, someone has to play C.

That's the problem, neither one might prove able to. If one of them could then you would be able to round out the top nine pretty nicely with just one acquisition.

Cammalleri-Henrique-Palmeri
Boucher-Zajac-FA/trade acquisition (Okposo?)
Blandisi/Zacha-DSP

Otherwise you have four LW for three spots and still a gaping hole at third line center with nobody in the organization capable of filling it (sorry JJ, sorry Kalinin), at least not until Quenneville gets here. Blandisi and/or Zacha might need more seasoning even if they both stay at LW anyway. I think they need another C and another RW this offseason to truly be able to upgrade the offense in the near future. I mean they did have Stemp/Camm for half the season and more and still are in dead last offensively. If any of the LW's can be effective on the off wing - and all the kids are ready to contribute next year - that would help too, then you'd only need to acquire a center.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Didn't you guys know that drafting top 10 guarantees you success? Just ask Edmonton, Columbus, Winnipeg, Carolina, Calgary, etc. Years of top 10 picks have brought great success!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Didn't you guys know that drafting top 10 guarantees you success? Just ask Edmonton, Columbus, Winnipeg, Carolina, Calgary, etc. Years of top 10 picks have brought great success!

Is this directed at somebody?

Group Chat Legend*

If a team offers a stud offenseman with a possible plus, do you trade Schneider?

Like, say, Winnipeg offers Scheiffele +. Or Arizona offers Domi +

Just curious. Not saying I would.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If a team offers a stud offenseman with a possible plus, do you trade Schneider?

Like, say, Winnipeg offers Scheiffele +. Or Arizona offers Domi +

Just curious. Not saying I would.

I've wondered the same thing and it has nothing to do with Kinkad or Wedgewood. For me it would take more than Scheiffele but it's pretty crazy to think how much more we should be able to get for him than what we have up a few years ago. Imagine what an Edmonton would give up to get him.

Group Chat Legend*

I've wondered the same thing and it has nothing to do with Kinkad or Wedgewood. For me it would take more than Scheiffele but it's pretty crazy to think how much more we should be able to get for him than what we have up a few years ago. Imagine what an Edmonton would give up to get him.

Well Scheiffele plus Helleybuck is worh it I think

Edit: again not saying I make that trade but that seems fair value

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Scheifele is blossoming into a top line C. Jets would be silly to trade him and I know they think highly of Hellebuyck as their goalie of the future. Would have to say yes to that package for Schneider, although Winnipeg likely wouldn't touch it.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
On the Jets topic, hopefully Ray has some conversations with Bleed's favourite GM in the offseason. They have an embarrassment of riches in terms of young forwards. I know their one big need is LD which isn't a source of strength in our organization, so I'm not sure if there's something to be worked out.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
In my 16-17 season projections, I have Zacha at right wing, Quenneville at third-line center, and Helgeson as seventh defenseman. My logic is that the prospects are ready until proven otherwise which coincides with management's logic.

I'm also for the PTO method we used at the beginning of last season to get Stempniak.

On another note, I hope Elias becomes an associate coach with the team. His experience will transfer a knowledge of the Devil's winning culture to the new guard as the old guard slowly melts away.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
On the Jets topic, hopefully Ray has some conversations with Bleed's favourite GM in the offseason. They have an embarrassment of riches in terms of young forwards. I know their one big need is LD which isn't a source of strength in our organization, so I'm not sure if there's something to be worked out.

I can't see Winnipeg dealing away any of their prospects when they are in twenty-sixth place. The future is all they have right now.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
In my 16-17 season projections, I have Zacha at right wing, Quenneville at third-line center, and Helgeson as seventh defenseman. My logic is that the prospects are ready until proven otherwise which coincides with management's logic.

I'm also for the PTO method we used at the beginning of last season to get Stempniak.

On another note, I hope Elias becomes an associate coach with the team. His experience will transfer a knowledge of the Devil's winning culture to the new guard as the old guard slowly melts away.

No problem with bringing up Zacha and having him play. I don't think junior is where he belongs anymore. It's probably not helping his development. Since coming back from his concussion he's been awesome.

JQ should start in Albany I think. Not quite sure he's ready to step in next year. Both could get 9 games and then we can see how they're progressing.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
This is my rough hope/plan for this summer going into training camp: (--) is bubble/competing for a spot

Cammalleri -- Zajac -- Palmieri
Boedker -- Henrique -- Boucher
Stempniak -- Blandisi -- Zacha
Kalinin -- Josefson -- Smith-Pelley
Farnham
(Quenneville, Coleman)

Greene -- Larsson
Moore -- Severson
Schlemko -- Merrill
(Santini)

Schneider
Kinkaid
(Wedgewood)

So in essence Zacha makes the team, Shero signs/trade for a proven top 9 winger, brings back Stempniak.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Let's look at available UFAs in the upcoming class, restricting them by a single simple rule:

Candidates for multiple-year contracts (e.g. to becoming part of the team's core) must be =<28 years old.

Candidates for one-year contracts (e.g. Stempniak style mercenaries) can be >28 years old.

With that in mind: which forwards are out there that could fit into the first category, that we could sign for the purposes of being long-term top-6 or top-9 wingers? Let's create a list of candidates and our preferences.

We know the obvious candidates for long-term contracts already: Stamkos, Okposo, Boedker. What are the smaller names?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
No problem with bringing up Zacha and having him play. I don't think junior is where he belongs anymore. It's probably not helping his development. Since coming back from his concussion he's been awesome.

JQ should start in Albany I think. Not quite sure he's ready to step in next year. Both could get 9 games and then we can see how they're progressing.

Exactly Zacha needs to learn the NHL game from NHL coaches. I'd be disappointed to see him sent back.

I can see Quenneville getting token games in Albany like Henrique and Blandisi but he should be a regular by the end of season.

The problem is that we have to decide if we want to sign a center in which case we'd have to wait for him to get injured for Quenneville to play.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
This is my rough hope/plan for this summer going into training camp: (--) is bubble/competing for a spot

Farnham
(Quenneville, Coleman)

Greene -- Larsson
Moore -- Severson
Schlemko -- Merrill
(Santini)

Schneider
Kinkaid
(Wedgewood)

So in essence Zacha makes the team, Shero signs/trade for a proven top 9 winger, brings back Stempniak.

why oh why do you have stempniak on the left side?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

Farnham
(Quenneville, Coleman)

Greene -- Larsson
Moore -- Severson
Schlemko -- Merrill
(Santini)

Schneider
Kinkaid
(Wedgewood)

Ah, another extremely long season ahead. That O is only sufficient if you add 1-2 very good dmen.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Ah, another extremely long season ahead. That O is only sufficient if you add 1-2 very good dmen.

That is being realistic. I don't see how Shero adds more than 1 proven guy up front without sending Larsson or Severson packing. I'd be ecstatic if Shero could somehow sign Boedker/Okposo, but even that is a long shot.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
No thanks to Boedker. I don't think he's much better than either Blandisi or Boucher going forward. The kids deserve the chance to grow on this team next season. We could really use a right winger and hopefully Shero looks at FA and trade front for that. Okposo would be a nice add but I would really like a play maker added into the top 6/9.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
On Elias returning...

talking-about-plans-infront-somoene-not-invited.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad