Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] G Nico Daws signs extension with the Devils (2 years, $812.5k AAV, two-way in first year)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_9012.jpeg

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Solid plan. He won’t suffer for another year of seasoning while Allen backs up Markstrom.

Definitely kept the right goalie…I think Daws was significantly more impressive than Schmid.

Reactions: Inno

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m admittedly not the most educated in terms of contract technicalities (at least compared to plenty of people on this board), but how often do we see a multi-year contract where the first half is two-way and the second half is one-way? Curious as to other examples.

From a management perspective, I almost feel like I’d like to negotiate it the other way around. First year one way, second year two way. Easier to unload the contract (in theory) during the second year if the player isn’t up to expectations.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m admittedly not the most educated in terms of contract technicalities (at least compared to plenty of people on this board), but how often do we see a multi-year contract where the first half is two-way and the second half is one-way? Curious as to other examples.

From a management perspective, I almost feel like I’d like to negotiate it the other way around. First year one way, second year two way. Easier to unload the contract (in theory) during the second year if the player isn’t up to expectations.

I've seen this type of deal enough times that I think a few players per season sign something along these lines.

There's no reason to give Daws a one way deal for this upcoming season when he doesn't have to pass through waivers and is expected to be in the AHL for the season, barring injury to Markstrom and/or Allen. The contract pays Daws a salary of $775K in the NHL / $350K in the AHL with $465K guaranteed for the upcoming season and $850K for the 2025-2026 season.

It's a 2 year deal for a 23-year old goalie that basically carries zero risk to NJ. If he's not good enough to make the NHL club in 2025-2026, they can just bury his full cap hit in the minors. Sure it costs the team an extra $385K in real dollars, but that's a small drop in the bucket of the team's total expenditures for the season, so it's not a big deal.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

He will be in the AHL this year, so they want to pay him an AHL salary. He will presumably be in the NHL next year so he will make an NHL salary regardless

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've seen this type of deal enough times that I think a few players per season sign something along these lines.

There's no reason to give Daws a one way deal for this upcoming season when he doesn't have to pass through waivers and is expected to be in the AHL for the season, barring injury to Markstrom and/or Allen. The contract pays Daws a salary of $775K in the NHL / $350K in the AHL with $465K guaranteed for the upcoming season and $850K for the 2025-2026 season.

It's a 2 year deal for a 23-year old goalie that basically carries zero risk to NJ. If he's not good enough to make the NHL club in 2025-2026, they can just bury his full cap hit in the minors. Sure it costs the team an extra $385K in real dollars, but that's a small drop in the bucket of the team's total expenditures for the season, so it's not a big deal.

Thank you for the clarification on his waiver eligibility for this upcoming year. Deal makes a lot of sense with that bit of information.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad