Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Seamus Casey signs ELC with the Devils (3 years, $950k AAV)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8384.jpeg

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Wasn't sure if he'd sign or go back to michigan, but good news.

I expect him to be the 1D in utica and come up to the big show if 1 of Luke Hamilton or Nemec gets hurt as an offensive dman.

Then next year transition into a full time role, probably 3rd pairing and somewhat sheltered, and go from there. Take it nice and slow.

Feels like a guy who's going to be perennially underrated. Small, so his defense will be underrated, and won't rack up the PP points for the casual fan to notice him offensively because there isn't opportunity.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wasn't sure if he'd sign or go back to michigan, but good news.

I expect him to be the 1D in utica and come up to the big show if 1 of Luke Hamilton or Nemec gets hurt as an offensive dman.

Then next year transition into a full time role, probably 3rd pairing and somewhat sheltered, and go from there. Take it nice and slow.

Feels like a guy who's going to be perennially underrated. Small, so his defense will be underrated, and won't rack up the PP points for the casual fan to notice him offensively because there isn't opportunity.
Hopefully NJ enjoys relative health next season and he can just stay in Utica for a full year without any pressure to work on whatever parts of his game need adjusting to work in the NHL. Ideally he doesn't see NJ for more than a handful of games at some point.

Reactions: HBK27

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hopefully NJ enjoys relative health next season and he can just stay in Utica for a full year without any pressure to work on whatever parts of his game need adjusting to work in the NHL. Ideally he doesn't see NJ for more than a handful of games at some point.
Hopefully he doesn't need to play, but nice to have as an insurance option. Certainly the best RHD we'll have available as an injury replacement.

In terms of my preferred order:

Left side: Hughes, Guy via trade/UFA, Siegenthaler, Bahl/Hatakka, Vilen, Misyul.
Right side: Dougie, Nemec, Marino, Casey, Smith (maybe bring him back on a veterans minimum and have him in the AHL)?

Hatakka/Bahl, if not traded previously, should compete for the 7D spot imo.

Lot of options at the LD, whether it's a guy like Pettersson, Fehevary, Dumoulin, McNabb, Hague, Girard, Brodie, Cole, Dillon, etc etc.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Happy he didn't sign at the end of a yr and burn a yr
I believe Casey and the Devils had the option of having the contract start this year and burning, despite the Devils not playing, or signing a contract that starts next year. The NHL year hasn’t closed so teams can still sign players for this year and with Casey’s age it would have burned regardless if he played a game.

For the Devils, I actually think a contract that burned this season would have worked out better in the long run. His likelihood of playing impactful minutes before his second contract has gone up a fair amount now that it will be 3 years instead of 2 before his next contract.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Anyone else getting Ty Smith/Reilly Walsh vibes? Hopefully the new regime does a better job refining the defensive areas of the game.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Hopefully he doesn't need to play, but nice to have as an insurance option. Certainly the best RHD we'll have available as an injury replacement.

In terms of my preferred order:

Left side: Hughes, Guy via trade/UFA, Siegenthaler, Bahl/Hatakka, Vilen, Misyul.
Right side: Dougie, Nemec, Marino, Casey, Smith (maybe bring him back on a veterans minimum and have him in the AHL)?

Hatakka/Bahl, if not traded previously, should compete for the 7D spot imo.

Lot of options at the LD, whether it's a guy like Pettersson, Fehevary, Dumoulin, McNabb, Hague, Girard, Brodie, Cole, Dillon, etc etc.
I hope Smitty goes into coaching, he'd be really good at it. His body is his enemy not his compete level. Toughest guy on the team by a country mile!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anyone else getting Ty Smith/Reilly Walsh vibes? Hopefully the new regime does a better job refining the defensive areas of the game.
Nope. Both Smith and Walsh couldn't skate and that was their demise. Had absolutely nothing to do with development, it was their deficiencies that were the problem.

Casey doesn't fit in that category... question is can he handle the size and strength of NHL forwards? It'll be interesting to see him in the AHL against bigger and faster players...I think we'll get a clue pretty quickly whether or not he can handle bigger and stronger players.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nope. Both Smith and Walsh couldn't skate and that was their demise. Had absolutely nothing to do with development, it was their deficiencies that were the problem.

Casey doesn't fit in that category... question is can he handle the size and strength of NHL forwards? It'll be interesting to see him in the AHL against bigger and faster players...I think we'll get a clue pretty quickly whether or not he can handle bigger and stronger players.

Their demise was both their size and lack of willingness to defend. To this point that describes Casey's game to a tee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad