PTO: [NJD] D Jakub Zboril signs PTO with the Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
This isn't even their worst pick in 2015 by a long shot, the real shocking part as we look back.

Is that shocking whatsoever?

Zboril was drafted where he was expected to.

Senyshyn was the brutal failure without reasoning by Sweeney. We all knew this from day 1.

JFK in the 2nd round was another poor selection but easily offset by Carlo.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I will always cheer for him... But I also think the devil's are a legit good team. I can t see them having a need for him.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he plays another NHL game in his career.

Devils team defense was the chief reason for the team missing the playoffs last year. While that wasn't all the fault of the defensemen on the ice, the team pretty much made wholesale changes.

If nothing else, this could add to the group in Utica. If Sheldon Keefe wants to truly make his mark, it could allow some of the younger Devils to marinate at the AHL level a bit longer.

Reactions: Czechboy

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Really hope he can turn it around. He started to come into his own and looked like he'd be a very nice #5ish dman, but he was really, really unlucky with injuries. Eventually our defense just got too deep.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Devils team defense was the chief reason for the team missing the playoffs last year. While that wasn't all the fault of the defensemen on the ice, the team pretty much made wholesale changes.

If nothing else, this could add to the group in Utica. If Sheldon Keefe wants to truly make his mark, it could allow some of the younger Devils to marinate at the AHL level a bit longer.
A year ago I really liked the look of their team. I think injuries and bad luck derailed everything. I don't follow them super closely but whenever I see the roster I'm also thinking 'wow'. Few D get hurt, goalies are cold (which I partially blame on the D not being 100%) and season over.

Curious how it goes... I want to be wrong! He played for the Czechs at the Worlds 2 years ago and I'd say the world's are about equivalent to something between AHL and NHL. He didn't stand out like I hoped he would.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Unless this team is unlucky AGAIN with injuries the backend is pretty set. That said, Nemec starting early is not ideal. The Habs defender as a pickup was insurance. A healthy team and this team should look pretty damn good!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Unless this team is unlucky AGAIN with injuries the backend is pretty set. That said, Nemec starting early is not ideal. The Habs defender as a pickup was insurance. A healthy team and this team should look pretty damn good!

Wish I could share that optimism. Team seems to have some nice individual pieces but there doesn't seem to be much cohesiveness nor accountability from the top.

We'll see how it goes but until there is a standard in place and the team establishes a core of leaders that plays together for several years don't see much changing.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Is that shocking whatsoever?

Zboril was drafted where he was expected to.

Senyshyn was the brutal failure without reasoning by Sweeney. We all knew this from day 1.

JFK in the 2nd round was another poor selection but easily offset by Carlo.
Everyone knew from the moment it happened that Boston totally f***ed up. So yes, shocking.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Nah they've been great, but not botching the 2015 Draft would have put them over the top...especially in 2019 vs. St. Louis.
Not really
They don’t have McAvoy in this scenario
You can play what ifs all you want but the B’s look way different in 2019 if they switch their 2015 draft up

Anywho, good luck to Zboril. Gotta think this is his last shot at playing in the nhl

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Its quite impressive that despite wasting two round picks in 2015 Boston was still able to make the finals four years later and continues to be a playoff team.
I'm not a B's fan per se but it amazes me how they are always good. It's uncanny. I see them make a mistake and think 'this is going to go poorly' and then they still do well.lol

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Not really
They don’t have McAvoy in this scenario
You can play what ifs all you want but the B’s look way different in 2019 if they switch their 2015 draft up

Anywho, good luck to Zboril. Gotta think this is his last shot at playing in the nhl
It also discounts how much of a major role Coyle played on that cup run which he may have not been acquired if Barzal was drafted. That team as constructed made it to the Stanley Cup finals and there is no guarantee if said draft players would have changed said outcome. This is why revisionist history on a draft that happened 9 years ago is pointless. Bruins fans can bring up how many teams skipped on drafting Pastrnak and McAvoy, but what does that solve?

On Zboril, he has the tools but no toolbox. He can be a serviceable 7D but consistency has not been his strong suit.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Man that 2015 draft was just a disaster for Boston

you mean THE Jakub 'could've been Mat Barzal' Zboril, that Jakub Zboril?

Wasn't that the year they took Barzal, Connor, and Chabot? Oh wait, maybe those were the three guys that went immediately after Boston's picks.

Nah they've been great, but not botching the 2015 Draft would have put them over the top...especially in 2019 vs. St. Louis.

If they had hit on those 3 picks they could easily have won 2-3 cups in the last 7-8 years. So so sad to see
I'm shocked that this has never been brought up here before. Nice job bringing it to all of our ( especially Bruin fans ) attention. :thumbu:

Reactions: wintersej

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Wish I could share that optimism. Team seems to have some nice individual pieces but there doesn't seem to be much cohesiveness nor accountability from the top.

We'll see how it goes but until there is a standard in place and the team establishes a core of leaders that plays together for several years don't see much changing.
The bad luck of injuries was the killer. Look at how they started. Their goaltending is at least league sufficient. Dougie will bounce back, new defenders will look to make an impact. Should be fun to watch, but I get it!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The bad luck of injuries was the killer. Look at how they started. Their goaltending is at least league sufficient. Dougie will bounce back, new defenders will look to make an impact. Should be fun to watch, but I get it!

Except Hamilton isn't a defender when he's healthy. There's a reason New Jersey is his fourth team. And unlike the other three, Devils don't have a shutdown defender to cover for his shortcomings.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Zboril is terrible.

It's worse because of the terrible Boston draft. But even if you put that aside and ignore his draft position/situation entirely, he's still just not NHL quality. He's never once stood out to me in a positive way when I see the Bruins play. He's either invisible or noticeably over his head.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Except Hamilton isn't a defender when he's healthy. There's a reason New Jersey is his fourth team. And unlike the other three, Devils don't have a shutdown defender to cover for his shortcomings.
If Dougie is such a disaster defensively, then why doesn’t it show up in any stat?

Or is there just some ineffable quality to him that allows him to be a traffic cone, but have those chances not turn into goals? And if that’s the case, why would it suddenly stop happening now?

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I'm shocked that this has never been brought up here before. Nice job bringing it to all of our ( especially Bruin fans ) attention. :thumbu:
It's about as overplayed as vancouver and the riots. Zero originality and yet some people think it's continually funny

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It also discounts how much of a major role Coyle played on that cup run which he may have not been acquired if Barzal was drafted. That team as constructed made it to the Stanley Cup finals and there is no guarantee if said draft players would have changed said outcome. This is why revisionist history on a draft that happened 9 years ago is pointless. Bruins fans can bring up how many teams skipped on drafting Pastrnak and McAvoy, but what does that solve?

On Zboril, he has the tools but no toolbox. He can be a serviceable 7D but consistency has not been his strong suit.
As an Oiler fan I've always marvelled at Boston. We got a lot of very high draft picks and some of them really flopped on us (JP and Yak come to mind). Then, for a decade, we didn't have many 2nd to 7th round picks on our roster. Almost none of them made the show with a few exceptions which were more recent (VD, Skinner)

Then I'd look at Boston's perfection line and that was a

Late first rounder
a second rounder
third rounder

One of the best lines in the NHL for a long time! An oiler equivalent from that time frame would be something like Kailer Yamamoto, Raphael Lavoie and Slepyshev.

Yet, I still read how Boston f***ed up a draft in 2015.
Swayman as a 4th rounder too.

Reactions: Absurdity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad