Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Brett Pesce signs with the Devils (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I have a feeling he was always going to sign near his home in the NY/NJ area. It would explain why Carolina was trying to trade him last off season and why there was never any rumor or suggestion of him returning.

The Devils also gained 2 2nd round draft picks in the defenseman shuffle so if they end up having to add that in a cap dump, they break even.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
In my viewings of him this year, albeit limited, he looked pretty bad. Slow skating, bad decisions with the puck, not an offensive threat. That was mainly reg. season; could've been injuries or something else. I don't follow comings and goings of the overall league that religiously, just chuck games on while I relax and have a moment off from work.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think this deal is too bad. Pair him with Hughes and if possible, move Hamilton for a top 4 defensive LHD.

XXXX - Nemec
Hughes - Pesce

That has the makings of a solid top 4.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
In my viewings of him this year, albeit limited, he looked pretty bad. Slow skating and bad decisions with the puck. That was mainly reg. season; could've been injuries or something else. I don't follow comings and goings of the overall league that religiously, just chuck games on while I relax and have a moment off from work.
Good things most Canes fans said he will be missed big time. Not as elite as Slavin but still a way above average shutdown D man with some offense to his game (30ish points a season).

Marino will be missed but Pesce is the better of the 2 defensively albeit he is a bit more experienced.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
I don't think this deal is too bad. Pair him with Hughes and if possible, move Hamilton for a top 4 defensive LHD.

XXXX - Nemec
Hughes - Pesce

That has the makings of a solid top 4.
Hamilton is our best offensive defensman. He isn't particularly strong defensivley but he is amazing at moving the puck and has the best shot on the team from the blueline. He isn't going anywhere. Hughes will probably play with Pesce and Hamilton will go back to being partnered with Siegenthaler.

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Dillon - Nemec
Kovacevic

The defense has alot of potential. It's bit inexperienced with Hughes and Nemec both playing at the same time but it has a good mix of skill ,size & physicality.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hamilton is our best offensive defensman. He isn't particularly strong defensivley but he is amazing at moving the puck and has the best shot on the team from the blueline. He isn't going anywhere. Hughes will probably play with Pesce and Hamilton will go back to being partnered with Siegenthaler.

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Dillon - Nemec
Kovacevic

The defense has alot of potential. It's bit inexperienced with Hughes and Nemec both playing at the same time but it has a good mix of skill ,size & physicality.
Definitely a good and well rounded defence there. I really just do not like Hamilton. Never have.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Definitely a good and well rounded defence there. I really just do not like Hamilton. Never have.
He can be a tad frustrating. He doesn't really use his size enough to throw big hits , isn't a fast skater and is a little lost in the d zone at times but he is what he is. His breakout passes , transition game , shot (slapper and wrist) and his ability to slip into soft spots in the offensive size is elite.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Thought this one was an overpay. Until I just saw the Noesen deal.

This is exactly what Evolving Hockey had for Pesce and it’s less than their projection for Noesen.

If you want to complain about the Devils here, and god knows you’re dying to, then complain about the Dillon deal.

That was an overpay, Dillon benefited from the odd lack of decent LHD on the 2024 market.

IMG_8217.jpeg

@AFPAnalytics had
Pesce 5 years/6.262m
Noesen 3 years/3.201m
Dillon 2 years/2.864m

For comparison, what they actually got:
Pesce 6 years/5.5m
Noesen 3 years/2.75m
Dillon 3 years/4m

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Have always liked him as a player. And he played in New Jersey growing up. He is the type of defenseman this team has lacked for years. Just don't see how he merits such a raise.

Just like when they signed players like Hamilton, Meier and now Markstrom and Noesen, the Devils are once again paying premiums on players based on their pasts; as a result of their inability to develop players. Just two years after rebuilding the defense corps and having a great season, the team is starting all over.

And the Devils don't have a Slavin or a coach like Brind'Amour to provide the structure.
i wonder what type of raise do you attribute to his new contract?

you probably say it's a 36% raise. but i would say it is only a 16% raise. fans calculate with the raw dollar figures. agents and gm's calculate with cap percentages.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is exactly what Evolving Hockey had for Pesce and it’s less than their projection for Noesen.

If you want to complain about the Devils here, and god knows you’re dying to, then complain about the Dillon deal.

That was an overpay, Dillon benefited from the odd lack of decent LHD on the 2024 market.

View attachment 891230

@AFPAnalytics had
Pesce 5 years/6.262m
Noesen 3 years/3.201m
Dillon 2 years/2.864m

For comparison, what they actually got:
Pesce 6 years/5.5m
Noesen 3 years/2.75m
Dillon 3 years/4m

Already said my piece. By the way, two that are really going to look bad are the OEL and Montour contracts. Reminds me of the Yankees in baseball or the New York Rangers seemingly forever.

Paying for what players used to be to put fans in the seats; inevitably coming up short.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They scored 2 of those in seconds. I'm not saying they didn't miss Pesce, but a lot of those powerplay goals were team brain farts and less because of Pesce out.

Also, Pesce was healthy for Carolina’s other end of season PK struggles. 56.3% against Tampa in 2021, 66.7% against the Rangers in 2022 and 71.4% against Florida in 2023.

A talented PP that is feeling confident will move the puck around faster than Carolina’s aggressive PK can pressure it. They’ve had the misfortune of going up against a lot of great PPs over the years.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pesce is a likable lad. You will love him. His brother is a gem too.

He has virtually no offensive skill. It sometimes feels like he's trying to make the bad read offensively as he waits until he doesn't have a passing lane or shooting lane and then passes or shoots. I imagine his offensive numbers are helped somewhat by our system. He just never grew that part of his game.

Defensively, Pesce is a rock. Very good net front. Very good at moving the puck out of the D zone, very good along the boards. He has little mobility, but his positioning makes him effective nonetheless. I agree with Devils fans that he is most logically paired with Luke Hughes.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
If he can successfully cover for Luke’s (good and valuable) adventurism, he’s worth every penny and more. Need to empower guys to play to their strengths, and Luke was asked to do too much for much of last season.

I think Luke can and will grow the defensive parts of his game (and they’re not BAD now or anything) but when you can do what he can in transition and off the rush, you gotta find a guy to let him off the leash.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
The money is great, but the term isn’t, but that’s to be expected on a 29 yr old player like Pesce. This will likely be his last contract to retirement, that may end in a buyout of the last year…depending on how he ages.
I’d say it’s a pretty good deal by the Devils

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad