Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Brett Pesce signs with the Devils (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exactly what the devil defense needed. Should be a good partner for Hamilton.
Both are righties. It's obviously early to say but in the past Hamilton has meshed reasonably well with Siegnthaler who seemed to miss him last season. Some see Pesce as the veteran stabilizer for Hughes. Personally I'd like to see him paired with Dillon and then let Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec get most of their minutes on a bottom pair.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The biggest thing the Canes may have missed this playoff was Pesce. Right up to the last goal scored against. He’s been a trooper, and an easy player to root for. The turnaround of the Canes began with the SlavinPesce, and they’ll always be my favorite defensive pairing I think. They did some amazing things for some real crap teams. Pesce is a smart, gap controlling defenseman who rarely gets beat one on one, never cheats the defensive end of the game. Great stick, great positioning down low, blocks a lot of goal mouth plays and can move the puck out of the zone smoothly and consistently. He was a big part of the room and always seemed like a character with character.

We’re going to miss him, I think we should’ve given him this contract. Of all our losses this off season this is the one that changes the personality and style of the team on and off the ice the most - and it hurts the most. Thank you for your hard work for so many years, and good luck in Jersey!

He’s worth the contract.

Have always liked him as a player. And he played in New Jersey growing up. He is the type of defenseman this team has lacked for years. Just don't see how he merits such a raise.

Just like when they signed players like Hamilton, Meier and now Markstrom and Noesen, the Devils are once again paying premiums on players based on their pasts; as a result of their inability to develop players. Just two years after rebuilding the defense corps and having a great season, the team is starting all over.

And the Devils don't have a Slavin or a coach like Brind'Amour to provide the structure.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You sound exhausting bro.

Anywho, this is the dude I wanted, especially at that price. Instead my Sabres signed f***ing Zucker. So.. you’re* free to whine, but we got a coach you cast off and have had a much worse free agency. Could be worse for you.

Funny stuff. I'm binge listening to the After the Whistle podcast while reading these.

Can feel your pain. But Levi and UPL offer a brighter future.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Have always liked him as a player. And he played in New Jersey growing up. He is the type of defenseman this team has lacked for years. Just don't see how he merits such a raise.

Just like when they signed players like Hamilton, Meier and now Markstrom and Noesen, the Devils are once again paying premiums on players based on their pasts; as a result of their inability to develop players. Just two years after rebuilding the defense corps and having a great season, the team is starting all over.

And the Devils don't have a Slavin or a coach like Brind'Amour to provide the structure.
You have it exactly backwards. The fact that the Devils have developed a number of good players and secured them to value deals means they can add players in the free agent pool where everyone makes a premium. Hughes, Bratt, and Hischier are all signed to sweetheart long-term deals, and they have blue-chip defenders on ELCs with Hughes/Nemec.

And have you even bothered to look at the deals given out league-wide over the last two years? Those deals aren't even top 10 in the overpay department.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Did you notice that the first two games of the NYR playoffs series with Pesce out the Canes gave up multiple PP goals in the first two games? His play really hasn't "dropped off," he has just become that much more a true defensive D.

Pesce allowed Skjei to be the most offensively productive of Canes' D. So while his 13 points isn't impressive, Pesce deserves partial credit for Skei's output. Imagine if he allows Luke to be even more aggressive offensively!!
They scored 2 of those in seconds. I'm not saying they didn't miss Pesce, but a lot of those powerplay goals were team brain farts and less because of Pesce out.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I'm sure you also do the same work, year in and year out and you probably think you're worthy of a raise. Projection is a scary thing.

It's a good deal, the cap is only going to go up, and he's well deserved of a raise, unlike you. Shut the hell up already you absolute nonce.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Definitely will be bought out in the final year, that signing bonus protection is a little gnarly. I'd be shocked if he's a legit top 4 D by year 4 honestly but the next couple years he should be a great add

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Excellent deal and among the best of the day. Years and AAV are reasonable. highly underrated for many years, this really improves the Devils Cup chances. Really good contract.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I'll hate seeing him a different sweater. I think @bleedgreen summed him up really well. Intellectually, i'm ok the canes didn't give him that deal; emotionally, i really wish we had. I think the downside of the deal - the term - is less of an issue in jersey, because imo his expected "drop off" will take longer to show up playing their system as opposed to the canes' system.

Treat him well, devils. And his family. Get his brother drunk and interview him on air the first chance you get.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think it will be good initially but I'm not sure he's going to hold up for most of that term. His play has been trending down and he's turning 30. The cap itself is good for NJD. I imagine it's difficult for a GM to get that term down when somebody will eventually give it. You either lose the player or take the risk.
It seems apparent that teams are basically figuring in the buyouts now, and assuming they will be better than the shorter term, higher AAV contracts would have been. Three or 4 years from now will be a great time for a rebuilding team, that was wise/shrewd to really rise to the top, and remain there if they continue to be shrewd/draft well. In the meanwhile, the arms war is keeping things interesting.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Don't want to be THAT guy. But Pesce is coming off a career low 13 point season after missing the playoffs due to injury and gets a $1 million plus raise?

Sure feels an awful lot like the Dougie contract where the Devils outbid themselves.

What am I not seeing?

a lot, especially when it comes to the Devils.

how is signing 3 players in free agency "starting all over"? What are you even talking about?

Keefe got the Leafs to play VERY structured in Toronto, and their D corps was nowhere near as talented as what he has now in NJ.

Reactions: Guttersniped

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The biggest thing the Canes may have missed this playoff was Pesce. Right up to the last goal scored against. He’s been a trooper, and an easy player to root for. The turnaround of the Canes began with the SlavinPesce, and they’ll always be my favorite defensive pairing I think. They did some amazing things for some real crap teams. Pesce is a smart, gap controlling defenseman who rarely gets beat one on one, never cheats the defensive end of the game. Great stick, great positioning down low, blocks a lot of goal mouth plays and can move the puck out of the zone smoothly and consistently. He was a big part of the room and always seemed like a character with character.

We’re going to miss him, I think we should’ve given him this contract. Of all our losses this off season this is the one that changes the personality and style of the team on and off the ice the most - and it hurts the most. Thank you for your hard work for so many years, and good luck in Jersey!

He’s worth the contract.
Agree with you on everything here except I would say I feel he does get beat one on one a lot more based on his declining foot speed. Hes great down low but big fast forwards can expose in getting to the front of the net for those battle goals. It’s not that it happens all the time or anything but in my opinion as the years have gone on, he’s just not quite as impenetrable as before. Still a great defensive D man but I have probably been the most vocal Canes fan on here over the last few years and I wouldn’t be shocked to see Pesce’s play fall off somewhere around year 3-4.

He’s a good one though and gonna be tough to not see him in a Canes jersey

Reactions: MinJaBen

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
They scored 2 of those in seconds. I'm not saying they didn't miss Pesce, but a lot of those powerplay goals were team brain farts and less because of Pesce out.
Always challenging when discussing a counter-factual. However, Pesce/Skjei typically are first D pair on the ice--the first seconds of the PK.

Penalty killing is when a D-man strictly plays D--no need to transition the puck or make passing plays other than just down the ice. While Slavin is widely regarded as the best defensive defenseman, since their rookie season Pesce has had a lower GA/60 on the PK in 5 of 7 seasons with one even (based on numbers at hockey-reference.com*). For their careers Pesce has a 6.6 GA/60 to Slavin's 7.3.

*for some reason PK GA numbers aren't available for 21-22.

Reactions: Shakir ONeal

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pesce is a guy who brings that structure himself, and can help younger guys along.

And I gotta say, as a division rival I do not like the idea of the Devils improving their defense. A guy like Pesce, especially if coaches and existing team leaders empower him as a leader in the room, will make a difference in how that back end plays. I, of course, do not approve.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Always challenging when discussing a counter-factual. However, Pesce/Skjei typically are first D pair on the ice--the first seconds of the PK.

Penalty killing is when a D-man strictly plays D--no need to transition the puck or make passing plays other than just down the ice. While Slavin is widely regarded as the best defensive defenseman, since their rookie season Pesce has had a lower GA/60 on the PK in 5 of 7 seasons with one even (based on numbers at hockey-reference.com*). For their careers Pesce has a 6.6 GA/60 to Slavin's 7.3.

*for some reason PK GA numbers aren't available for 21-22.
Nobody said Pesce wasn't good on the PK, but the goals were scored in seconds.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Pesce is a guy who brings that structure himself, and can help younger guys along.

And I gotta say, as a division rival I do not like the idea of the Devils improving their defense. A guy like Pesce, especially if coaches and existing team leaders empower him as a leader in the room, will make a difference in how that back end plays. I, of course, do not approve.

Hope you're right. Getting some of the guys in New Jersey to play in their own end has been a challenge for almost a decade. Seems like many fans have faith in the new staff to change that.

We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad