Proposal: NJD - CGY - MTL

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
the 2 most talked about trade goalies, Ullmark and Markstrom, were quite literally acquired for nothing in UFA.

"you can't get a goalie like Markstrom for free". I call complete and utter bullshit, because that is exactly how Jacob Markstrom was acquired in the 1st place. And that was when he was 30
Point taken. Direct me to the Markstrom caliber goaltender that's a UFA and I'll agree this makes no sense. NJ has a great team and should be a cup contender. If they think this is what puts them over the hump, this would be a price worth paying.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
The general sentiment in this thread seems to be that there is very little difference between 5 and 9, and I say BS to that. Because you have some personalities saying they're interchangeable, each team has their own lists of who they prioritize. Teams may value who their 5th option is far more than their ninth.

With respect to the 10th being worth Markstrom, was that not the basis of the deal at the TDL, before it fell apart? They did lose the end of the past season and that does have value. Perhaps a 3rd thrown in makes up the difference.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
With respect to the 10th being worth Markstrom, was that not the basis of the deal at the TDL, before it fell apart? They did lose the end of the past season and that does have value. Perhaps a 3rd thrown in makes up the difference.

No, that was not the basis of the deal for Markstrom at the deadline.

Dreger flat out said that the devils never put the 24 first on the table for Markstrom, and that was when it had the chance to be much later (and you were getting an additional playoff run out of him).

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The general sentiment in this thread seems to be that there is very little difference between 5 and 9, and I say BS to that. Because you have some personalities saying they're interchangeable, each team has their own lists of who they prioritize. Teams may value who their 5th option is far more than their ninth.

If the Devils ever offered the 20204 1st for Markstrom, which they likely didn't is completely irrelevant now. When they wanted him, it was to make a playoff push last year, they most certainly didn't think they'd be drafting 10th if they got him. Pretending they knew the outcome of the season when they were discussing the deal before is a laughable way of looking at things.

Reactions: HBK27 and Forge

Bond

May 10, 2012
No, that was not the basis of the deal for Markstrom at the deadline.

Dreger flat out said that the devils never put the 24 first on the table for Markstrom, and that was when it had the chance to be much later.
Even if the 2024 1st was put on the table it would have been protected. The Flames weren't going to get a top ten pick for Markstrom

It isn't. And that's why a third team is involved. You saw the part where they get the high end starting goaltender, not pick 26?
The Habs basically pay a late 1st and 4 spots in the draft to get a 10th overall pick. The Flames would just cut the Habs out.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Point taken. Direct me to the Markstrom caliber goaltender that's a UFA and I'll agree this makes no sense. NJ has a great team and should be a cup contender. If they think this is what puts them over the hump, this would be a price worth paying.

Spoiler alert - they don't.

I don't recall hearing NJ's 2024 1st round pick was ever in play...but even if it was, at that time NJ would've been trading for 3 potential playoff runs with Markstom and their 2024 1st round draft pick would've presumably gotten worse after the trade. At this point in time, Markstrom's value has declined while the value of NJ's 2024 1st round pick has increased. Whatever may have been on the table at the '24 TDL is largely irrelevant now.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No, Montreal wins the trade massively. Calgary loses, NJ gets robbed.

Markstrom is worth pick #16. Pick 16 and 9 are worth more than pick 5. 10th is worth more than Markstrom and a defenseman that will be on waivers in the fall.
unretained markstrom is not worth #16.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
unretained markstrom is not worth #16.
Debatable. It's pretty well established that the ask from the Flames is a 1st and prospect. Whether that's retained or not I don't know for sure. I'm guessing it would be. I don't think the 1st would be the only thing coming back at 50%.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Debatable. It's pretty well established that the ask from the Flames is a 1st and prospect. Whether that's retained or not I don't know for sure. I'm guessing it would be. I don't think the 1st would be the only thing coming back at 50%.
the ask? i couldn't care less what the calgary gm or their fans are asking for markstrom.

the ask is not the same as the value. the value is where ask and bid meet. or do you think if i ask for a bottle of my pee 100 dollar, the value of my pee is 100 dollar?

Reactions: Inno

Ledge And Dairy

I bolded your ridiculous remarks. Defensemen far worse than Barron and Struble get claimed all the time when placed on waivers. Mike Matheson isn't a contender for the Norris Trophy, but I'd bet a lot of teams would love to have him and the Canadiens wouldn't be willing to just give away this "complete liability".
I'll fix my statement. I would not be shocked if neither got claimed on waivers. Plenty of players pass through waivers every year and even if they do get claimed half of them are re-placed on waivers like Bjornfot, Thomson, and Denisenko. Bernard-Docker cleared waivers last year and then eventually earned a call up. Now he's probably a regular on the Sens.

At this point in time clearly neither has earned a roster spot on the Habs. We'll see what happens at camp but it's very likely they still won't earn one. There was a very legitimate reason to keep 3 goalies last year. There is not a legitimate one to block 3 good defense prospects that should make the team over them, while simultaneously healthy scratching 2 guys who clearly need more development time.

I'm sure if Montreal retained on Matheson there would be interest but every NHL team has analytics departments, as well as ample scouts. I also get Habs fans want to sell high on his 62 points season because in reality he is a 30 point offensive defenseman that piggybacked off the success of Caufield, Suzuki, and Slafkovsky on the power play. Just look at OEL, he had like 11 points in 15 games before Montour and Ekblad came back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
the ask? i couldn't care less what the calgary gm or their fans are asking for markstrom.

the ask is not the same as the value. the value is where ask and bid meet. or do you think if i ask for a bottle of my pee 100 dollar, the value of my pee is 100 dollar?
Do you think the ask is crazy? No one wants a bottle of your urine. At least 4 NHL teams want Markstrom. Conroy got his ask for 3 of the 5 pieces he moved already, so it's pretty clear he understands player values.

Reactions: Nanuuk

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Do you think the ask is crazy? No one wants a bottle of your urine. At least 4 NHL teams want Markstrom. Conroy got his ask for 3 of the 5 pieces he moved already, so it's pretty clear he understands player values.
with your ask markstrom is a bottle of urine.

the upside of markstrom is more stability in the net with a proven starter and potentially an additional win or two in two playoff runs. the downside of a 34 year old goaltender at 6m is an anchor contract on the cap for two years, which you have to pay a major asset to move out. your ask is for the upside. completely ignoring the downside. with that ask i easily prefer to extend kähkönen at less than half the cap hit and keeping our assets.

calgary than can enjoy either upside markstrom downgrading their draft position or downside markstrom destroying his trade value if none of the teams is willing to pay the ask. keeping markstrom is also a risk for calgary.

• Haha
Reactions: Double Dion

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
#5 is extremely valuable but #9 #10 in this years draft is also very valuable, you're still looking at guys like Parekh/Catton/Yakemchuk/Sennecke/Helenius etc (and that's assuming Celebrini/Levshunov/Dickinson/Demidov/Lindstrom/Buium/Iginla/Silaev are top 8)

the top 15 this year is stacked, i don't think there's gonna be much movement

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouboumaster

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is bad for NJ. Markstrom for 10 but a throw in D isn't the type of business Fitzgerald should get in bed with.
Any top 13 pick in this draft is too much. There's a pretty clear ledge in this draft and the Devils will have their pick of at least 4 good players in that spot.

Reactions: Billdo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad