Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I think Montreal has Calgary's 2025 1st, no? Looks juicy right now.
Montreal likely has Florida’s pick, which is a lot less juicy. The only way Montreal gets the Flames pick is if Florida finishes bottom 10 next year, or if the Flames do surprisingly well.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I'm surprised they couldn't get more, now considering the retention.

Look at the Mike Smith trade to Calgary and then reevaluate from there.

Smith was traded at 34 and was coming off seasons on .914 and .916. Arizona retained 25% giving him a cap hit of 4.25M for two more seasons. He returned Brandon Hickey (B/C prospect) and a conditional 3rd round pick.

Jacob Markstrom at 34 years old is coming off seasons of .892, and .905. Calgary retained 31% giving him a caphit of 4.125M for two more seasons. He returned a 1st round pick and a 23 year old roster player.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks for the optimism, but we still have no clue about the direction of the team. Our "rebuild" seems to be hinted at an idea of a retool on the fly with borderline prospects and picking up later first and second rounders. Plus I suspect Conroy has decided to experiment with a prospect development method in hopes to start accelerating them to the roster in 1-3 seasons and then trading the excess RFA caught in a logjam to restart the cycle for the prospect pipeline.

Depending on what our "depth" looks like by the start of the pre-season, many of us are still unconvinced we aren't just going to go down the "rebuild" path we took in 2015 (ie: trading picks for Hamilton, who coincidentally is on the NJD roster).

The Flames are going to be awful without Markstrom. Next year one of two things happens. Wolf takes a huge leap forward and becomes a number one, or the Flames are a lottery team. This is a rebuild.

The club is doing their best to make the rebuild shorter than normal by stocking up on picks and younger players, which is the correct approach. It makes far more sense to have 6 1st round picks over 3 years than to stretch out that process.

I expect the Flames to start adding pieces either during or at the end of the 2025/26 season, depending on how things go next year.

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think its a fair deal for both sides.

NJ desperately needs a goalie. They got rid of a nothingburger DMan and a (protected) pick a year away. I don't love Markstrom, but he did still finish in the top 10 in the league in goals saved above expected even with how poor he looked down the stretch overall.

Calgary needs youth as they are rebuilding.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Seems like a pretty decent deal for the Flames... lots of young dmen to pick through next year and hopefully find some keepers

Maybe a nice mentor for Wolf like Jack Campbell?? What do we think??

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah. Replaced Tanev with Miromanov and Hanifin with some other guy Neverheardov, and that had no impact on Flames goaltending. None at all.

I think it's a fair criticism. Markstrom has always been an emotional guy, and definitely let off the gas. Wolf heavily outplayed him down the stretch (.902 vs .872 over 11 games each)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Look at the Mike Smith trade to Calgary and then reevaluate from there.

Smith was traded at 34 and was coming off seasons on .914 and .916. Arizona retained 25% giving him a cap hit of 4.25M for two more seasons. He returned Brandon Hickey (B/C prospect) and a conditional 3rd round pick.

Jacob Markstrom at 34 years old is coming off seasons of .892, and .905. Calgary retained 31% giving him a caphit of 4.125M for two more seasons. He returned a 1st round pick and a 23 year old roster player.

The Elliott trade comes to mind to me too.

The Flames are going to be awful without Markstrom. Next year one of two things happens. Wolf takes a huge leap forward and becomes a number one, or the Flames are a lottery team. This is a rebuild.

The club is doing their best to make the rebuild shorter than normal by stocking up on picks and younger players, which is the correct approach. It makes far more sense to have 6 1st round picks over 3 years than to stretch out that process.

I expect the Flames to start adding pieces either during or at the end of the 2025/26 season, depending on how things go next year.

I mentioned in an earlier post that until we draft with those picks, I can only agree we've done a strip down. It's not too late to surround the roster with plugs again that somehow cause us into a dark horse to squeak into the playoffs.

We could be bad, or we could somehow surprise and Conroy uses draft capital to accelerate the process in 2024/2025 vs 25/26. I don't know. Many of us do think we will draft and keep an eye out for an RFA worth spending draft capital on. Many of us believe the sell off will continue (ie: Kuzmenko and Mangipane maybe?).

But for the Flames, we don't really have a clear idea on who we are going to be cheering on long term yet. I don't think we have any player or prospect where it's truly obvious they'll still be a star in Calgary 3 years from now due to retirement or trade or stall in development. There's also a chance that we do a quantity for quality trade. No one is off the table (including our best like Coronato) if an RFA 1C somehow hits the trade block.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
This reminds me of the deal Nj made for Schneider (G) when they gave up 9th overall. The only problem is Schneider back then was still young.

Like others have said, if the pick ends up close to 10th overall, NJ loses this deal. I’m also just not sold on Markstrom at this point in his career. He’s not young like Schneider was…
Absolutely fair take and I agree. But trades carry this risk no matter what. Just built into it.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it's a fair criticism. Markstrom has always been an emotional guy, and definitely let off the gas. Wolf heavily outplayed him down the stretch (.902 vs .872 over 11 games each)
Yep. Probably his biggest weakness.

Didn't even factor in the off-ice stuff. Various trade rumours being leaked (the first one to NJD that didn't work out) as well as being asked to waive for other teams (LA is one I recall hearing about, which he turned down).

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
yes, they have, they just aren't good when it comes to developing said goalies.
Also, Markstrom isn't the guy for them imo. They're gonna be goalie hunting in a couple years again.
NJ is pretty high on Daws. They think he will be their guy in net in a few years, time will tell.

Reactions: Inno and AirGut

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think Calgary did alright here, given the retention.

Bahl probably still has some untapped potential. He's not mean enough for his size, which was the frustrating part, but he's got a little skill and definitely moves well for being a skyscraper.

The thing about NJ's '25 1st is that, outside of the top 10, it's a low odds bet to expect that player to help their current playoff run. And they're likely adding a solid middle six player with the 10th overall this year, if it's not outright traded for an elite guy.

Never thrilled about trading 1sts for a goalie but this seems fair to me.

Reactions: tailfins

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Ottawa and Toronto getting involved saved Conroy's bacon, It's Bahl and WPGS 2nd next yr if they didn't butt in lol.

I'm fine with it, the retention is nice ( Fitzy is going to be busy this summer ever dollar helps ) and we still have two seconds in 25'

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yes, they have, they just aren't good when it comes to developing said goalies.
Also, Markstrom isn't the guy for them imo. They're gonna be goalie hunting in a couple years again.

yeah no shit? Hes 35.

They have 3 or 4 young guys who need more seasoning. Maybe by then one of them will be ready? Maybe not? Who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: AirGut

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
A first round pick from a non-playoff team for a 34 year old ?

That's got to be some kind of a record, if we exclude rentals and near-rentals. I don't like this for Jersey.... it's the kind of move a contending team should make to add a missing piece to fill a last serious gap in the lineup to be a serious Cup contender, not something a team on the tail end of a rebuild should be doing.

• Haha
Reactions: Inno

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Draft pick has a chance at being an 11-19 pick which would be pretty good. Bahl is interesting with the tools he has. We got some good puck movers right now so a guy like this fits in well.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

That's got to be some kind of a record, if we exclude rentals and near-rentals. I don't like this for Jersey.... it's the kind of move a contending team should make to add a missing piece to fill a last serious gap in the lineup to be a serious Cup contender, not something a team on the tail end of a rebuild should be doing.

A "non-playoff team"?

C'mon, let's not act like the Devils aren't a good bet to make the playoffs next season when the pick is being determined.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

It's the kind of move a GM afraid of being fired makes.

Reactions: pth2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad