Proposal: NJ/AZ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Being that Chychrun is out for 2-4 weeks, with that, not sure if he will get traded before the TDL, this is a post lottery/pre draft proposal:

:devils
Jakob Chychrun

:coyotes2
2022 NJD First Round Pick (probably 4-8 OA)
Ty Smith
Pavel Zacha (RFA Rights) or Andreas Johnsson or comparable Forward NHLer/prospect.

Again, I understand this is all dependent on draft position.

AZ gets another 1st and two picks in the top 10, potentially top 5, a D that has I think still has tremendous upside offensively, but needs to work on his D in his own zone, and a middle 6 winger.

Devils I believe are at a point where they need to start turning high picks into instant assets and not waiting a couple years for picks to develop.

NJD Potential D Core:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Severson
Graves-Hughes

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
As a fan of neither team, early 1st, good young NHLer and mid 6er seems like a strong offer.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Top 10 picks are almost never traded, last year the 9th overall for Garland/OEL arguably only happened cause it was an odd draft too. I don't think anyone would outbid this offer from NJ and Arizona should probably take it.

I'd probably think NJ overpaid but be thrilled to add a piece that can help now. I don't know if there's a better player / contract pair they could get for that pick realistically except maybe a legit starting goalie possibly.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's time to point out that Chychrun is being massively overrated. That is an absolutely bonkers overpayment that New Jersey should want no part of.

He's a decent top four defenseman that has three years left on a very favorable contract. But he's riding the hype of a single season of elite offensive production.

Unless New Jersey is visualizing themselves as a contender within that three year window, that contract doesn't really provide a ton of value to them. They'd be better off using those assets individually to provide the team with depth moving forward.

I just have a feeling that whichever team ends up meeting that ask will end up with a pretty average top pairing.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Top 10 picks are almost never traded, last year the 9th overall for Garland/OEL arguably only happened cause it was an odd draft too. I don't think anyone would outbid this offer from NJ and Arizona should probably take it.

I'd probably think NJ overpaid but be thrilled to add a piece that can help now. I don't know if there's a better player / contract pair they could get for that pick realistically except maybe a legit starting goalie possibly.
It’s a bit of an overpayment, but one that pays off in my opinion. Devils have capital to take a risk and need to start taking some calculated ones.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Being that Chychrun is out for 2-4 weeks, with that, not sure if he will get traded before the TDL, this is a post lottery/pre draft proposal:

Jakob Chychrun

Ty Smith
Pavel Zacha (RFA Rights) or Andreas Johnsson or comparable Forward NHLer/prospect.

AZ gets another 1st and two picks in the top 10, potentially top 5, a D that has I think still has tremendous upside offensively, but needs to work on his D in his own zone, and a middle 6 winger.

Devils I believe are at a point where they need to start turning high picks into instant assets and not waiting a couple years for picks to develop.

NJD Potential D Core:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Severson
Graves-Hughes
Coyotes do that.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If Devs are picking 4-8 they will keep it.
As time goes by, that ask on JC is not getting a lot of gms knocking. Yotes have a bunch of 1sts this yr, I would argue a '23 1st in a better draft, could be more desirable. Devs probably shouldn't give that one up either, but if they are picking this high next yr there are bigger problems. Would a '23 1st top 5 protected and then adds would be something Fitz might consider?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
This is the best main board offer for Chychrun to date. Nice work.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The first would sting to give up. I think I’d rather wait and see where the pick is at first. One of Jiricek Slavkovsky Nemec would help the Devils more than Chychrun, but would have to wait 2-3 years for them to produce effectively. Not sure what to think

Reactions: Smitty426

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Jakob Chychrun

Ty Smith

NJD Potential D Core:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Severson
Graves-Hughes
It’s the type of trade that is going to happen if he’s moved.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
The first would sting to give up. I think I’d rather wait and see where the pick is at first. One of Jiricek Slavkovsky Nemec would help the Devils more than Chychrun, but would have to wait 2-3 years for them to produce effectively. Not sure what to think
I get it, and Slafkovsky is basically only guy I’d want, but I think he’s going to go higher than 4. This is why I’m okay with giving this up. Slafkovsky has a man’s body and is playing in the NHL next year.

But this is also why I explained in the OP we gotta see where the pick is first. If the Devils bump up to top 2, yeah I think it’s a no brainer what they do. But anything from 4 and later, I think Chychrun helps the Devils way more down the road.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
NJD Potential D Core:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Severson
Graves-Hughes
I wouldn't expect to see this D Core after your proposal went through. L. Hughes most likely stays another year in college and I can't see all of Severson, Siegenthaler and Graves being extended.

I actually could see one of Graves or Siegenthaler being traded as a subsequent action.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I wouldn't expect to see this D Core after your proposal went through. L. Hughes most likely stays another year in college and I can't see all of Severson, Siegenthaler and Graves being extended.

I actually could see one of Graves or Siegenthaler being traded as a subsequent action.
I’m not saying your wrong, but there’s potential if he does come out next year. I would also be okay with him playing another season at UM, especially if they don’t win the National Championship.

To your point, the one I see gone between those three is Severson. You probably can get the most for him and I like having those two as Defensive Defensemen. Siegathaler definitely gets extended.

I’d like to see this 2 years down the road, if this proposal were to come to fruition:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Hughes
Graves-Walsh

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I’m not saying your wrong, but there’s potential if he does come out next year. I would also be okay with him playing another season at UM, especially if they don’t win the National Championship.

To your point, the one I see gone between those three is Severson. You probably can get the most for him and I like having those two as Defensive Defensemen. Siegathaler definitely gets extended.

I’d like to see this 2 years down the road, if this proposal were to come to fruition:

Chychrun-Hamilton
Sieganthaler-Hughes
Graves-Walsh
in your vision i don't like the right side with hamilton, hughes and walsh. you can't play any of them on the pk. but i doubt we would see that anyway. hughes is lhs and even if he plays on the ride side for michigan, they coaches might prefer him to play the left side in the nhl. walsh imo is not a nhl player and introducing him and hughes at the same time to the nhl will be difficult, as both will require sheltered minutes. walsh maybe for his entire career.

so invest those easy minutes rather in hughes. the devils need to find a physical strong, defensively stable rhd, who can play against tough competition and on the pk. today it's mainly severson and i have no idea, why so many people are eager to get rid of him. his brain farts apart he is a solid player, who does much more good than bad. in the pipeline we only have mccarthy for this role and he could still be a few years away from the nhl.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Honestly I'd rather keep the pick. Our current LHD group is good enough and we have the best LHD prospects in the league. I'd rather use that pick and draft a forward.

Reactions: HBK27

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I think you're right on Hughes for next yr. But if the Devs want to have any chances to win rds in playoffs they will need to put out a D like this. I don't see Siegenthaler being moved as he's a found gem and may be our best overall defender who won't command $6M per. I like Graves but is he a 1 LHD, probably not but with this grouping it's 1A, 1B on the left side imo.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
It's time to point out that Chychrun is being massively overrated. That is an absolutely bonkers overpayment that New Jersey should want no part of.

He's a decent top four defenseman that has three years left on a very favorable contract. But he's riding the hype of a single season of elite offensive production.

Unless New Jersey is visualizing themselves as a contender within that three year window, that contract doesn't really provide a ton of value to them. They'd be better off using those assets individually to provide the team with depth moving forward.

I just have a feeling that whichever team ends up meeting that ask will end up with a pretty average top pairing.
Agree. No chance Devils management makes a move like this. The Devils are looking to be a contender in 2-3 years or so. This pick hopefully will provide exactly what they need in that time frame - a productive player on an ELC/cheap contract.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Siegenthaler isn't going anywhere, he's been great. However, with Graves and Severson needing new contracts as well, something will have to give.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Siegenthaler isn't going anywhere, he's been great. However, with Graves and Severson needing new contracts as well, something will have to give.
this discussion is for the devils board.

but i also hope, siegenthaler could be the most cost effective option and therefore would rather keep him. severeson as a rhd is a truly scarce commodity in the devils organization with no replacement in the pipeline. therefore i personally would listen to offers for graves and smith. with smith there is no urgency to move him, as his market value could rebound with better performances to end this or next season and him still playing on his elc. this leaves graves as the only trade deadline candidate. this is also hugely dependent on how the coaching staff views white, okhutyuk, bahl and vukojevic.

Reactions: Smitty426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad