Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Khabibulin returns to Hawks (1 yr deal)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I advocated for this (elsewhere) ,, And would welcome back Khabby with open arms

Cheap 1 year deal

- Gives Hawks experienced #2 known to many in lockerroom
- Khabby is risky but with Raanta in AHL to start year and adjust any injury to Khabby would be no big deal

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
- Khabby is risky but with Raanta in AHL to start year and adjust any injury to Khabby would be no big deal

Exactly.

I think it's pretty clear that they don't want Raanta starting the year here, but that certainly doesn't mean he couldn't end it. And if they want to get him starts here and there with the big club to see what he has, they can go ahead and do that without having him here sitting the other games.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
I advocated for this (elsewhere) ,, And would welcome back Khabby with open arms. Cheap 1 year deal. - Gives Hawks experienced #2 known to many in lockerroom. - Khabby is risky but with Raanta in AHL to start year and adjust any injury to Khabby would be no big deal
Agreed. If Khabby moves like the the Bulin Wall we can bring in Raanta as the backup.

SLarmer28*

The "Bulin Wall" would be cheap insurance if Raanta flops like Salak.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
You guys have to remember the ice in Europe is bigger, meaning Raanta has to get used to NA style ice, Khabby would be an awesome back up. I was so sad when he left the Hawks, it would be awesome to have him back!

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Wouldn't shock me at all. Once we knew Emery wasn't coming back I figured they would be in the market to sign a veteran back-up to a 1 year deal in case they decide Raanta needs a little time before jumping into the NHL.

SLarmer28*

You guys have to remember the ice in Europe is bigger, meaning Raanta has to get used to NA style ice, Khabby would be an awesome back up. I was so sad when he left the Hawks, it would be awesome to have him back!
The "Bulin Wall" >>>>>>>>>>>>> Cristobal Huet

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Khabi was actually pretty damn good this last season as a back up... The only problem is with his age he gets hurt A LOT (groin pulls).

But I was very impressed with his body of work last season, he still has some game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If he comes cheap, you're better of with Bulin to start and Raanta getting games in at Rockford. You can always call him up and make him the backup for the POs.

This. Same opinion I had a couple years back with Emery over Salak. Older, experienced guy gets the backup gig while the supposed backup of the future gets plenty of growth chances in the AHL as the starter. If Raanta ends up stinking, better he do damage in Rockford, and if Bulin's done, then we can just give him the boot and have Raanta come up.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
****ing stop, we have Raanta.

If there is cap space available, why wouldn't you want Raanta actually playing the game in Rockford, with the potential to be brought up down the stretch if it matters? It does nothing for him to have him sit around behind CC. He's better off playing regularly and being brought up for starts from time to time if they want to see what he can do than just being a backup from day 1.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'd take him back.. if he wanted to replace Stephan Waite opposed to Emery.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
This. Same opinion I had a couple years back with Emery over Salak. Older, experienced guy gets the backup gig while the supposed backup of the future gets plenty of growth chances in the AHL as the starter. If Raanta ends up stinking, better he do damage in Rockford, and if Bulin's done, then we can just give him the boot and have Raanta come up.

Gotta agree with getting Raanta AHL playing time for development vs. riding the Hawks' bench for ~90% of the games. Such a regular season workload for Crow would surely be foolish and irresponsible on Stan's part. Khabby makes a lot of sense for the Hawks on multiple levels if he still has game. Your post, however, made me wonder: what if Raanta stinks AND Bulin's done? THEN what?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
****ing stop, we have Raanta.

Not every player is a pouting ***** like Salak. It makes more sense to give Raanta tons of games in the AHL, while having a vet behind Crawford.

Raanta has already said he knows he'll spend some time in the AHL.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Gotta agree with getting Raanta AHL playing time for development vs. riding the Hawks' bench for ~90% of the games. Such a regular season workload for Crow would surely be foolish and irresponsible on Stan's part. Khabby makes a lot of sense for the Hawks on multiple levels if he still has game. Your post, however, made me wonder: what if Raanta stinks AND Bulin's done? THEN what?

Crawford. He's the number #1. The backups being average/crappy won't matter as long as Crawford's solid - which he should be.

At the end of the day, they need to play the games. We won't know if Raanta will suck, but he looks great at this point. Time will tell. Team's can't predict the future, they just have to be prepared for certain events - hence, the Khabibulan rumors.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Id be OK with this. With the amount of games Bulin will miss, we will get to see what we have in Raanta. I like insurance in case Raanta cant handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad