Tribute Niklas Kronwall

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

niklas-kronwall-2018-34.jpg

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I remember him and Brad Stuart combining to be what felt like the best second pairing ever. Kronwall was awesome for highlights, ripping a sweet slap shot top corner to win one game and absolutely lighting some guy up the next. His characteristic hitting style where he skates backwards/laterally to close off someone on the boards and letting their momentum carry them into his back- which would absolutely flatten him.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
One of the most underrated defensemen in organization's history. Overshadowed by another Swedish defenseman name Nik.

Didnt get his chance to be a #1 until he was already broken-down from injuries. But he still represented the organization with dignity and great distinction.

Thank you Kronwall.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
He was pretty slick offensively. Loved when he manned the point on the pp, he'd pull back and fake a slapper and circle around the forward going down to block his shot. Could gain an extra 20 feet of open, offensive ice and a more clear shot on goal or open pass lanes. Was one of his go to plays that I always loved.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Lost a lot of potential games early in his career due to injuries and Holland’s overriping strategy. Also a bit of bad luck, peaking when the team was heading downwards. He still had a great career, with his clean yet brutal tackles named after him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One of the most underrated defensemen in organization's history. Overshadowed by another Swedish defenseman name Nik.

Didnt get his chance to be a #1 until he was already broken-down from injuries. But he still represented the organization with dignity and great distinction.

Thank you Kronwall.

Too true. Having Kronwall behind Lidstrom was a massive part of their dominance during that time. He was an admirable #1 defender at the end of his career, but having him and Lidstrom running over the boards for most of the game was an embarrassment of riches.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Great defenseman.

Very good two-way d-man, with a niche for crushing hits.

Thing that surprised me, is that when he was coming up he was small and painted as a offensive d-man, he had a lot of set backs with injuries.

He is a classic case of developing a player.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
kronwalling ryan clowe after clowe dared him too in the playoffs.

chefs kiss

oh and didn't clowe not come back out to play and ended up getting hurt for rest of series or something? beautiful

Reactions: DamonDRW

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Best second pairing guy in the league for a long time, he was fire with Stuart. He was too broken and just not cut out for being the top guy and became emblematic of Detroit sinking from a top team to the worst.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, the Bonk hit was the first "Kronwall"?

That will always be the first to come to mind. I had always heard stories of Vladdy demolishing guys on the ice, but I was too young to experience that firsthand. It felt really cool seeing a Red Wing lay hits like he did.

Reactions: dalem177

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Love ya Nik! Wish we could get both Simon and Mo to regularly crush fools like Kronwall did. Mo did some his rookie year, but then word guy out his reverse checks were legit so people havent tried challenging him as much like this.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Love the guy. Have a signed stick, puck, and hockey card of his framed at home. Second Wings jersey after my Datsyuk Winter Classic jersey. Really glad he’s still around the organization.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I saw him destroy Hoffman from the Cleveland Barons at center ice in grand rapids in 04/05. It was the biggest hit I've ever seen...thought the dude was dead.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Great player and I think he's underrated because he was playing in such an elite top-four during his prime. I'm glad he's still part of the organization.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
My favorite Kronwall story came from Hakan Andersson. It was over the summer and Kronwall was doing summer training with his team in Sweden. Hakan went to check on him and asked the coach how he was looking. The coach replied that he was looking a bit sluggish, to which Hakan was surprised. Later on he spoke with Kronwall asking what was going on. Kronwall told him he was having difficulty doing both the workout regiment the Wings gave him as well as the one he was doing with the team in Sweden. He had been doing the full training regiment the Wings gave him in the mornings before going to workout with the team. Hakan was in disbelief he was doing both full training regiments and told him to stop doing the one from the Wings.

That’s the player Kronwall was. He was the ultimate competitor and we were so lucky to have him. I’m really glad that he is still a part of the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad