Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I actually think 5m is pretty cheap.

I was saying that from the go. I think in the middle of this deal he's going to be a 7M guy we got for 5M. You won't find a true #3 in this league anymore for 5M with these cap escalations. And your 1's will all be 11M soon, your 2's will all be 8M.

If we're very lucky they got Lohrei on somerthing like 8x6.5 very soon. But I think the young man will be wise to bridge.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I actually think 5m is pretty cheap.
$5M for 1 year would be a good deal. But it isn’t that simple. You have to consider term and age (expected regression) too. With all factors considered, this is not a good deal for what I think is a third pair defenseman who can occasionally step up to second pair duties. He’ll be 35 at expiry.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
$5M for 1 year would be a good deal. But it isn’t that simple. You have to consider term and age (expected regression) too. With all factors considered, this is not a good deal for what I think is a third pair defenseman who can occasionally step up to second pair duties. He’ll be 35 at expiry.

People get way too hung up about say the last year. We don't care about the last year.

In 2029 the cap an easily be around 105M. If he's reliable enough as a #5 then, your 5's will easily make 3M then. So THAT year, he's overpaid by 2M. He can also be traded with a bit retained, bought out, etc.

So think about the actual meat of the deal. Go look at the D in the NHL playing lights out at 30-34. Plenty of them.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

With UFAs, if you don't overpay, you don't get the guy.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
His foot speed leaves something to be desired. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 3.08.30 PM.png

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
His problem has always been on the mental aspects of the game. He has all the ability and skill for such a big man.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think his offensive ability is underrated a bit too. He's got a pretty good break out pass and once in the offensive zone he seems to make good decisions with the puck. He knows when to put it on net.

3 assists in 5 games, +2

The best game he played was against the Kings. Jeannot is known to run around and take advantage of guys but Zadorov didn't let that happen. He got him before he started his usual shit. He drilled him into the boards and then a few mins later dummied him with a hard open ice hit. He completely neutered him.

There will be games where people question him, but at the end of the day, it's the post season that I'm excited for. He was fantastic for the Canucks last year in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad