Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He's Gryzlyks replacement and the least of our problems.
People also say he is a 3rd pair Dman but in his last two PO seasons he was 3rd and 4th in TOI with Vancouver & Calgary and was a plus player. He wasn't paired with Quinn Hughes last playoffs as both are LD, so I don't see why he shouldn't be paired with McAvoy and not drag him down. Give him time to acclimate and he should be ok. You can always spot Lindholm with McAvoy when needed.

Reactions: capecodder

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I think what @PlayMakers may be referring to in his question is that the Bruins said publicly from the time of Zadorov’s signing that they were going to try him on MacAvoy’s left side. And before the regular season starts its first game, Zadorov is on the third. That there is an apparent disconnect between what they thought they were getting and what they’ve observed over training camp.

We don’t know for sure (it’s only game one and who knows even what will happen by the second period) but it’s something.

Personally I never thought Zadorov was a top pair guy anyway… and I’ve been an advocate of acquiring him for years now. He’s likely to see time with everyone, but even if he’s third pair through Game 82, I think he will contribute in ways where the number of his pairing will be inconsequential. He’s gonna make everyone around him bigger, he’s going to surprise at key moments, and he’s going to be a massive addition to the locker room. Is $5M/yr too much? Sure. But it’s too much well-spent IMO.
$5M at 6 years for a 25 year old Zadorov, overpayment, but fine.

$5M at 1 or 2 years for a 29 year old Zadorov, overpayment, but fine.

$5M at 6 years for a 29 year old Zadorov, that’s a different answer. Far too many regression years, especially for a guy who plays as physically as he does.

But just like the E Lindholm deal, the Zadorov signing makes sense if you see it as a 3 year deal while they are in contention and then the back half will be during the rebuild, so the massive overpayment doesnt matter as much.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The B's didn't stick to any of the D pair plan discussed by Monty heading into camp.
The team in general looked ill prepared and struggling to get comfortable. I think too much time was spent in camp trying out guys that were headed for Providence. Fine for the first 4 games, but the last 3 should have been roster warmups. It shows, no chemistry. It should/hopefully will get better over October.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Yeah, I'm going to try not to draw any conclusions after one game. They weren't ready. Florida looked like it was playing Game8 of the Stanley Cup Finals and the Bruins looked like Game 3 of the pre-season. It was Game 3 for Marchand and Lindholm, Jones... We weren't ready. We weren't sharp.

Oddly enough, everyone was worried about the offense and felt the defense would be strong but we ended up scoring 4 goals and our defense was atrocious, all their goals came from the top of our crease or off our defenseman's stick.

Positives... PK was good, and despite what everyone says I thought they showed some push back. Zadorov and Kastelic each had 6 hits. Frederic's line was terrible but he was engaged. Brazeau made a nice pass and Freddy with a nice snipe top corner. Swapping Poitras for Jones on that line should be a huge gain.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I think he was the only Dman last night who I didn't have a "wtf are you doing ?!" moment with so I'd say thats a positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTO

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Zad has always ended up as a third pairing guy on every team he's been on. You know why? Because that's what he is. The Bruins roster has zero to do with it. He's a physical defenseman that gets exposed as a limited player the more minutes you play him.
Yeah well I noticed McAvoy, Carlo and Lohrei getting exposed last night. Maybe we should play all three of them on the 3rd pair?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah, I'm going to try not to draw any conclusions after one game. They weren't ready. Florida looked like it was playing Game8 of the Stanley Cup Finals and the Bruins looked like Game 3 of the pre-season. It was Game 3 for Marchand and Lindholm, Jones... We weren't ready. We weren't sharp.

Oddly enough, everyone was worried about the offense and felt the defense would be strong but we ended up scoring 4 goals and our defense was atrocious, all their goals came from the top of our crease or off our defenseman's stick.

Positives... PK was good, and despite what everyone says I thought they showed some push back. Zadorov and Kastelic each had 6 hits. Frederic's line was terrible but he was engaged. Brazeau made a nice pass and Freddy with a nice snipe top corner. Swapping Poitras for Jones on that line should be a huge gain.

The team just looked slow, out of hockey shape, and yes, as you said, not ready. I don't understand how that happens in this day and age in pro sports. I get a couple of guys that maybe had camp injuries or off-season surgeries to be that way, but most of the team? It surely wasnt an issue for Florida.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The team just looked slow, out of hockey shape, and yes, as you said, not ready. I don't understand how that happens in this day and age in pro sports. I get a couple of guys that maybe had camp injuries or off-season surgeries to be that way, but most of the team? It surely wasnt an issue for Florida.
Six teams played on ESPN last night and Boston was the only one to look like trash.

Reactions: Dr Hook

japurple01

Apr 19, 2014
Might seem like a high price for a third pair, but the Bruins' salary structure seemed better able to handle it than Vancouver's. There are lots of reasons why his value is beyond that of a regular 3rd pair guy. He's willing to go after the nastiest character on the other team and he's good at it. He drove Evander Kane nuts in the playoffs and put him off of his game at times. He's great for the room--a bunch of the Canucks were working to try to get him to stay. He can play higher up in the lineup for periods of time when someone is injured. I don't think you'll have any buyer's remorse--and his quotes are gold.

Reactions: Clode

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Six teams played on ESPN last night and Boston was the only one to look like trash.
A few years back the capitals raise their banner in front of the bruins and beat us seven to nothing we ended up losing game 7 of the Stanley cup final that season relax it's one game was in Edmonton to in 10 out of the gate last year

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Playing Jones on the 3rd line was bad....he wasn't ready.....better to move up Beecher
Beecher is being totally ignored, last night he showed a willingness and has in the past to drive the net, he also has speed, with that drive and size, he is 22, I want more of him and no to Johnso, 34 undersize and most of his offense come from the PP. You are right Jones is not ready give him some time to get the rust off, then we can say where he fits. I have said this before Beecher should center Geekie and Freddy, they are young, and Freddy and Geekie had career years last year, let them grow together.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Beecher is being totally ignored, last night he showed a willingness and has in the past to drive the net, he also has speed, with that drive and size, he is 22, I want more of him and no to Johnso, 34 undersize and most of his offense come from the PP. You are right Jones is not ready give him some time to get the rust off, then we can say where he fits. I have said this before Beecher should center Geekie and Freddy, they are young, and Freddy and Geekie had career years last year, let them grow together.
Beecher is better served at C on L4. On L3 don't want him anywhere but LW. That said he was one of their better if not best skating forwards last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad