Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just gotta figure out which number he will be wearing so I can order a jersey and truck pedestrians as I walk down the street.
17? He said that he doesn't want to be compared to BIG Z because that would
be disrespectful of Zdeno.
I wouldn't mind seeing 33 on him but I'm sure it'll be retired in the near future.
Also, I'd like him to wear 44. I've always liked defensemen wearing numbers like 22, 33, 44, 55, ever since there was a guy who wore #77. 66?

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Most feared hitter in pro hockey since Byfuglien.

14 goals second only to Makar in 23.

Perfect playoff D and a great complimentary partner to McAvoy. I have wanted to go after him for years and I'm very happy that our general manager is nailing this offseason!

Going that far, hmm?

Believe me, I am greatly heartened by the obvious turn toward size and physicality.

As Ty Anderson pointed out, this has been the drafting trend, at least on D, for three years.

Credit to Sweeney, Neely, their NHL scouting staff, and, while I'm at it, their prospect staff, too.

The pointer on the chart is gong upward, and that's a very good thing.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I just watched a collection of his hits on YouTube. We got Chara back ! He skates well for a big guy and hits like a Mack truck .
Not Z. As, evidently, he would be the first to tell you.

Nonetheless thrilled.

This is not BBB Redux, but given this year's draft and those three years prior, and the FA signings, it's a damn good start.

Lightbulb, meet Don Sweeney.

Nonetheless thrilled.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
^I don’t really think he’s anything like Chara at all outside of being a large Z. His game is about 10x more reckless and he’s a better skater imo

Edit: just saw your post in the Lindholm thread, nevermind you’re just playing around lol…my b too early for me

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
McAvoy to Zadarov - "Where is we goin now, Thunder?"

It's been since Chara that we had someone the opposition had to actually worry a/b getting smoked? I'll take it. It's about time.

Price? It's that, or watch him go somewhere else...
Hey there @Neely08 . Nice to see you posting! You have been missed

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Wanted him back when he was with the Avs.

I imagine Marchand is happy, let the rat run wild.
I imagine Pasta is happy too. Now when the other team constantly runs and tries to injure him someone will answer.

I love Brad and he is tough as nails (especially for his size) but he should NOT be the toughest guy on the Bs. OK captain, he will have your back.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is one deal where logic and reason dictates that he is going to be paid too much and for too long and that we’re gonna bang our heads on it for the next six seasons.

And yet I can’t bring myself to be truly critical of it. Because I just f***ing love Zadorov.

So… f*** it. Ecstatic he’s here. Is there a better “match” in the NHL than Zadorov and the Bruins? I’m buying a jersey.

Occasionally work colleagues will ask me about my hockey fandom, given it's something of a curiosity here. One thing I have said in the past that's something distinct about hockey fans, and Bruins fans in particular, is that while no fanbase likes to see its team lose, Boston's will accept as it as long as, in simple terms, they beat the other team up in the process. For a majority of supporters, winning on the scoreboard is of course the first priority, but winning the physical battle and seeing their players impose themselves on the opposition is a very close second. It matters, in a way that's hard to fully explain to a non-fan.

And Zadorov near-perfectly taps into that. Talented, sure, but also big, hard-hitting, aggressive, takes no shit. As long as he lives up to his reputation and brings good effort, especially in the big games and playoffs, he'll be adored and occasional mistakes will be forgiven for things that a Carlo, for example, could never get away with.

I hope things pan out well for him with the Bruins. Going to be a lot of fun if it does. I get some of the reservations around him, but when he's really switched on he's a very effective player, even putting the physical stuff to one side. Just need to get more of that, especially at the right time, and less of the inconsistency and errors. Our defensive system isn't quite what it was under Cassidy, but it should still be a good place for him to find his groove. Fingers crossed.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I imagine Pasta is happy too. Now when the other team constantly runs and tries to injure him someone will answer.

I love Brad and he is tough as nails (especially for his size) but he should NOT be the toughest guy on the Bs. OK captain, he will have your back.

Absolutely, Pasta should be able to focus on what he does best.

Scrums are definitely more enjoyable when you have support and hopefully now we can enjoy them again. It hasn't felt like a team of brothers for awhile now.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Absolutely, Pasta should be able to focus on what he does best.

Scrums are definitely more enjoyable when you have support and hopefully now we can enjoy them again. It hasn't felt like a team of brothers for awhile now.
I don't agree that it hasn't been a band of brothers. The team chemistry has been quite good for few years. The problem is that none of the brothers were tough guys (Maroon did nothing IMO) and now it seems the Bs have a legit guy to help with this.

Brad is wicked tough IMO, but he should NOT have to be that guy

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Occasionally work colleagues will ask me about my hockey fandom, given it's something of a curiosity here. One thing I have said in the past that's something distinct about hockey fans, and Bruins fans in particular, is that while no fanbase likes to see its team lose, Boston's will accept as it as long as, in simple terms, they beat the other team up in the process. For a majority of supporters, winning on the scoreboard is of course the first priority, but winning the physical battle and seeing their players impose themselves on the opposition is a very close second. It matters, in a way that's hard to fully explain to a non-fan.

And Zadorov near-perfectly taps into that. Talented, sure, but also big, hard-hitting, aggressive, takes no shit. As long as he lives up to his reputation and brings good effort, especially in the big games and playoffs, he'll be adored and occasional mistakes will be forgiven for things that a Carlo, for example, could never get away with.

I hope things pan out well for him with the Bruins. Going to be a lot of fun if it does. I get some of the reservations around him, but when he's really switched on he's a very effective player, even putting the physical stuff to one side. Just need to get more of that, especially at the right time, and less of the inconsistency and errors. Our defensive system isn't quite what it was under Cassidy, but it should still be a good place for him to find his groove. Fingers crossed.
I do care if they lose on the scoreboard, but even though we live in an era where fighting is practically a lost art, I still get disgusted when the Bruins lose AND look like they're not ready to die for the cause. Give me a couple guys (or more) who can die for the cause and my passion for this team boils. Give me speedy imps who disappear and I check out fast.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I don't agree that it hasn't been a band of brothers. The team chemistry has been quite good for few years. The problem is that none of the brothers were tough guys (Maroon did nothing IMO) and now it seems the Bs have a legit guy to help with this.

Brad is wicked tough IMO, but he should NOT have to be that guy

You're definitely right about the type of players. I agree with Maroon too and before him Hathaway.

And there's no doubt there's chemistry with some of the guys but sticking up for one another usually didn't happen unless there was a big fuss made about it. Maybe we were spoiled prior to this haha.

Either way I'm excited for the additions and hope they find success.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like the signing and am looking forward to seeing him in a spoked B. The Zadorov I've watched in the past can be a little suspect in his own zone, and that is a concern, especially if he is getting top 4 minutes and tough matchups (I suspect to start he will be paired with Carlo as that seems to make the most sense). At the same time, I noted Sunday that if Sweeney signs him, it will be because the team thinks he has the ability to play a more responsible defensive game and will benefit from the structure and coaching. I am really looking forward to see how he does because he has a great shot which has been lacking, and the nasty which has also been pretty thin on the ground.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
IMG_6825.jpeg

First pic of Zadorov and Marchand.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
be respectful of Zdeno.
I wouldn't mind seeing 33 on him but I'm sure it'll be retired in the near future.
Also, I'd like him to wear 44. I've always liked defensemen wearing numbers like 22, 33, 44, 55, ever since there was a guy who wore #77.

Yes. D numbers used to go up to the 20's and that was it. Goaltenders were either #1, #30, #31 or #35.

How about inverting his Calgary number #16 to #61?

That would bespeak heavy truculence. :thumbu:

Reactions: Gordoff

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
be respectful of Zdeno.
Also, I'd like him to wear 44. I've always liked defensemen wearing numbers like 22, 33, 44, 55, ever since there was a guy who wore #77.

Hard pass on 17 and especially 33. You dont want to saddle the guy with comparisons to Lucic and Chara on day 1. Also I'd be shocked if 33 isnt off limits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad