Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Of course.

But taking a bad penalty is not the kind of mistake that worries me.

I get it --- it's a game of mistakes though. I have full confidence that he's going to be very effective here because they have a good system, culture, roster and especially goaltending.

I think people tend to look at a guy's weaknesses and exaggerate them or project them going forward, rather than expect that they will improve or be less prominent in a better situation.

Also, a lot of fans don't give the credence that I think toughness deserves.

Guys play differently when they're worried about getting laid out coming across the blueline or getting roughed up in front of the net.

That can be just as important in certain situations as blocking shots or being good defensively with your stick.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I get it --- it's a game of mistakes though. I have full confidence that he's going to be very effective here because they have a good system, culture, roster and especially goaltending.

I think people tend to look at a guy's weaknesses and exaggerate them or project them going forward, rather than expect that they will improve or be less prominent in a better situation.

Guys play differently when they're worried about getting laid out coming across the blueline or getting roughed up in front of the net.

That can be just as important in certain situations as blocking shots or being good defensively with your stick.
I remember Hjalmarsson in the Chicago series years ago actually running away, like running, not skating when he saw Lucic come down the wall. It was hilarious.

Ah, here it is...

tumblr_mocxlkQ5Ud1rwnjwpo1_500.gif

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Agreed.

It didnt show up in the score sheet, but in his prime Lucic was one of the drivers of the offense with the turnovers he forced out of fear. He left so many defenders plastered on the corner glass that you would constantly see opposing defenders flub the puck or shy away from it in the corner when 17 was bearing down on them

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If you look at the highlight vid posted earlier, it seems like half the victims do a little bunny hop once they see him, before they get smoked. That's a sure sign of intimidation, something we haven't really seen for a good, long while.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I remember Hjalmarsson in the Chicago series years ago actually running away, like running, not skating when he saw Lucic come down the wall. It was hilarious.

Ah, here it is...

Looks like he made the play and avoided taking the brunt of the hit. If he bailed out completely and left the puck that would be one thing.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Ah, here it is...

He should take the hit like a real man.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022

Ah, here it is...

Can't say i blame him on that one - side stepped the freight train

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Nikita Zadorov has fond memories of his first NHL goal.

Brad Marchand likely has filed the recollection in the recycle bin.

Playing in his second career game with the Sabres, Zadorov shook Marchand at the blue line and played give-and-go with Steve Ott before bolting past Carl Soderberg and lifting a backhander past Bruins goalie Chad Johnson in 2013.
“I remember the goal. Marchy was on the ice. He took a minus, so I’m going to let him know,” Zadorov said, demonstrating that he’s well versed in the art of chirping.
“But, I mean, it’s your first NHL goal. It’s a memory until the rest of your life,” added Zadorov, the big defenseman, who this past week toured the Bruins’ practice facility and Boston for the first time since signing his six-year, $30 million free agent deal. “I have the puck. I have a full frame of the puck and everything, so it’s definitely a cool memory.”

Zadorov said he chose Boston because he wants to make more cool memories.

“That’s the main focus on why I did sign here. I want the best chance to win a championship,” he said. “I really invest in what I do and I’m putting all my heart into everything, and I’m here for six years. I want to put my heart into being a Bruin and winning a Stanley Cup here.”

Since debuting with the Sabres, Zadorov has been on a tour of the Western Conference, with stops in Colorado, Chicago, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Zadorov got a literal taste of what life in Boston is like when he stopped into an Italian spot in the North End over the weekend.

“I had really good pasta,” he said. “I hope I’m not going to go there too many times because it’s super heavy but it’s super good.”

Zadorov, who was accompanied to his chat with reporters by his wife, Alexandra, and their daughters, Sophie and Stephanie, makes his offseason home in Miami, but the Moscow native is looking forward to putting some roots here, as well.

“Right now, for us, the main focus is to find a place where we’re going to live and find schools for the kids,” he said. “So, all that outside [hockey] stuff is important.”

As for the inside stuff, Zadorov knows that’s important, too.

A physically imposing defender, the 6-foot-6-inch, 250-pounder has collected more than 1,700 hits over his 11-year career. The internet is chock full of highlights of some of the Russian’s biggest thumps.

The Bruins (and their fans) are eager to see Zadorov bring that kind of physicality to a club that has sought to improve in that area over the last few seasons.

There’s been an evolution to Zadorov’s aggressiveness. Big hits are important, but so is making the right play.

“It is experience and maturity. I would say sometimes when I was young, I was going for hits when I didn’t need to,” he said. “Sometimes it’s better to have your good stick or prevent the passes from going through and all that. So, it’s definitely a learning point for me. You want to be physical. I think it frustrates the other team and it gets your team going. It’s important for close plays because I can use it — I’ve got size — and it elevates my game when I’m sharp and physical and on top of my game, for sure. So, it’s a timing thing.”

Being dependable is high on the 29-year-old’s list of priorities.

“Consistency, I think, is the most important thing for a D-man. I think it took me some time to figure some stuff out on the ice,” Zadorov said. “You don’t want to be a high-risk player. You want to be more consistent in how you prepare yourself. Especially at my size, I’m pretty noticeable on the ice when I’m playing bad, and I’m pretty noticeable when I’m playing good. So, I’m trying to find the sweet spot in the middle.”

Hall of Famer Joe Sakic, who was the Avalanche’s general manager when Zadorov was in Denver, gave him some good advice in this area.

“He told me [Nicklas] Lidstrom was always saying, ‘Out of 10 games, if you have eight A games and two B games, then you’re going to be a really good defenseman in this league,” Zadorov said.

That’s a sound strategy coming from Lidstrom, a seven-time Norris Trophy winner.

Zadorov has long been familiar with Bruins coach Jim Montgomery. When Montgomery was head coach at the University of Denver, he would have NHLers skate with his players in a mutually beneficial relationship.

“He bag skated me a little bit,” Zadorov said, as both he and Montgomery smiled at the memory Monday.

Montgomery’s reputation was a factor in Zadorov’s decision to choose Boston as his new home.

“I feel like he’s a really good person to talk to, and you see the guys love playing for him,” Zadorov said. “We all talk around the league, the guys, about coaches and organizations. I probably spoke to 10-15 people before making a decision to sign here and I haven’t heard a bad thing about the organization or coaching staff or the city or how people get treated here, and I feel like it fits the mentality for me, as well: Win or nothing, you know what I mean? I feel like this city is so culturally engaged in its sports. You look up all four teams here, they’ve all been winning. They’ve all been championship [teams], and the fans expect you to win every year. So, I like that. I like the pressure and I think it drives me.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad