Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Zadorov and Lindholm delivered exactly what the Canucks were hoping for in the Cup playoffs.

But now the hangover begins. The loss of draft capital is a serious downer. Canucks better hope that they hit on some of their late round picks on Saturday.

Because after flushing a third and a fifth for Zadorov; and a first and fourth rounder for Lindholm, their prospect pool is bound to get hammered.
Bad bot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Zadorov is and will always have significant holes in his game. Canucks fans saw the best he had to offer but just ask the Avs if they would like him back. The thread above mentioned Cole who in many respects gets little respect like Zadorov. However consider this, Teams that moved on Cole allowed more goals the season after he left. I'm talking Pittsburgh, Colorado, Minny, Carolina, and Tampa. Additionally, Cole has made guys like Schultz, Soucy, get paydays they might not of otherwise got. Yeah he is old but he doesn't think he is worth 5 million.

Zadorov was a younger player back in his Avs days. He was more prone to turnovers and penalties. That team also has different needs.

As for Cole, how did he help Soucy get a big payday? Cole is old and there is now a clear pattern of deteriorating play in the 2nd half of the season. We reportedly offered him a contract. He rejected it. Cole just goes to the highest bidder at this point in his career.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
Love Big Zaddy but you don't throw $6m at a 3rd pair D. Team would love to keep him but it's possible that there's just no fit for him, and there's plenty of replacements in free agency and/or prospects. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets that money.
With injuries to the core being inevitable and Z’s recently elevated level of play, and a coach who l hands out ice time based on merit ( this is true right?) how could Z not have the confidence to know he’s headed for consistent higher pairings? He’s money on our team - they can’t guarantee his role he wants but he’s being developed into the place he wants - Soucy is a little glassy with injuries and let’s be honest - we all fk*n love that man in the playoffs where he was top 4 or at least it seemed like it from his impact.

To sum: if it is true term and time were not the issue: Zadorov - have the confidence that you’ll be eventually playing the role you want here. Canucks are injury prone and you are a unique magnificent beast -

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Even with the cap rising, it’s hard getting value out of a $6M defenseman, especially one that doesn’t produce much offensively. Look at Myers over the years and Schmidt. Brodin makes $6M and Lindholm makes $6.5M. Zadorov isn’t in the same class.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Zadorov was a younger player back in his Avs days. He was more prone to turnovers and penalties. That team also has different needs.

As for Cole, how did he help Soucy get a big payday? Cole is old and there is now a clear pattern of deteriorating play in the 2nd half of the season. We reportedly offered him a contract. He rejected it. Cole just goes to the highest bidder at this point in his career.
The players I mentioned ( and I did not include Zadorov ) all were players that paired with Cole prior to their bigger paydays. Shultz in Pittsburgh, Soucy in Minny, Z in Colorado. That is how he helped them earn big paydays. Cole might be a bigger influence on his d partners than any other aspect of his game.

Reactions: Indiana

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lock it up

giphy.gif

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I would have given him the extra year. Yeah it probably wouldn't have aged all that well - but Zad brings that X factor.

That said, I do have faith in this management group and it's a long time before next year's playoffs.

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I thought we were willing to go up to $5M for Z? Guess term was the issue?

NHL is back in business. Lots of silly money and or term thrown around today.
The players I mentioned ( and I did not include Zadorov ) all were players that paired with Cole prior to their bigger paydays. Shultz in Pittsburgh, Soucy in Minny, Z in Colorado. That is how he helped them earn big paydays. Cole might be a bigger influence on his d partners than any other aspect of his game.
Soucy signed his $ extension with Minny before playing with Cole.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bruins are seeing some value there ....

6 x 5M $ was too expensive? Hmmm .....
My thoughts exactly......I'd certainly have spent $5m over six seasons for Zadorov. But the Canucks decided to give that money to Jake DeBrusk........I guess they're hoping a guy like Forbort can bring some of that physicality.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think a terrible miss here.

Zadorov appeared to be taking his game to a new level. A contract in the range that he signed for would hav solidified our defense for years.

The slow footed Forbert is little better than Juulsen and will instantly become a player most bashed by fans.

Reactions: cc

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think Allvin dropped the ball here. The fact is soucy can't be relied upon to make it through a full season so the next in line is forbort. Imagining forbort on the second pair makes me feel a little ill

Reactions: Jack Burton

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Best of luck to Z in Boston, glad he signed out East lol

If we didn't already have Soucy I wouldn't have minded to bet on the contract he got there, but tricky to pay a guy $5M and play him under 20 minutes in the regular season.
Repeating the mantra as long as it's there.... Regular season is, by and large meaningless. Playoffs is the ONLY place where a championship is won.

I would have signed him to that deal. Losing him over 1 year that would be after our window is closed (as rumoured) sucks.
Almost Elmer-like, you might say ...

I think Zadorov is going to be the more valuable player vs. Debrusk over the next 5 years.
Me too. Watch Bruins in the playoffs now. You're going to see Chara all over again. I'm sure that Allvin missed his chance here.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
My thoughts exactly......I'd certainly have spent $5m over six seasons for Zadorov. But the Canucks decided to give that money to Jake DeBrusk........I guess they're hoping a guy like Forbort can bring some of that physicality.
hopefully ...

I think a terrible miss here.

Zadorov appeared to be taking his game to a new level. A contract in the range that he signed for would hav solidified our defense for years.

The slow footed Forbert is little better than Juulsen and will instantly become a player most bashed by fans.
no doubt ...

I think Allvin dropped the ball here. The fact is soucy can't be relied upon to make it through a full season so the next in line is forbort. Imagining forbort on the second pair makes me feel a little ill
Yep .....

Bruins needed a new Chara, so they grabbed him from a hesitant and unsure management, who had a 4 month window to extend this quite unique player but didn't. ...

Seriously. Trading assets for two pending UFAs and then in 4 months of window, being unable to extend either of them .....

that speaks something really missing with the management.......

Maybe they will explain it ....?????

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and cc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought we were willing to go up to $5M for Z? Guess term was the issue?

NHL is back in business. Lots of silly money and or term thrown around today.
We saw Skinner with $22 mill and still $5 mill of prior cash get bought out.
Atkinson, 1 year at just under $6 mill bought out.
Boqvist, Schmidt, Campbell, get bought out.

Either a bunch more of permanent LTIR down the line (figure Tanev will end up there), or buyouts, with a year or 2 left on these guys contracts.

That's the business model of the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both Zadorov and Lindholm sign in Beantown.......Zadorov for six years and Lindholm for seven.....at a combined cap hit of close to $13m a season. Far too expensive imo.

Both these guys could be 'buy-out' candidates before they hit 35. The Canucks basically replace Zadorov with Forbort and Desharnais. And one guy is signed for one year; and the other guy for two....and they save $2m a season over Zadorov's cap hit.

So at the end of the day, it eases the pain somewhat of Zadorov's departure......and they retain some cap flexibility.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Both Zadorov and Lindholm sign in Beantown.......Zadorov for six years and Lindholm for seven.....at a combined cap hit of close to $13m a season. Far too expensive imo.

Both these guys could be 'buy-out' candidates before they hit 35. The Canucks basically replace Zadorov with Forbort and Desharnais. And one guy is signed for one year; and the other guy for two....and they save $2m a season over Zadorov's cap hit.

So at the end of the day, it eases the pain somewhat of Zadorov's departure......and they retain some cap flexibility.
Guentzal gets just under $10 mill in salary and $53 mill in SB. Guessing that was the deciding factor for Carolina. Structure of the contract. See what Boston gave for those 2 former Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad