Nikita Nikitin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
B_LNO51UsAAiyoP.jpg:large

:laugh:

A good #5 would be fine too.

Anything is better than what he has been so far.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Here's a legit bump.

Over the off-season I suggested that Nikitin would come into camp a totally different man.
New coaching staff, contract year, healthy body and the chance to play with the newest generational player.

Boy was I ever naive. From what we've seen so far we're seeing a repeat of next year.

Boy have Reinhart and Nurse ever have to be excited, because this means that one of them are getting in for sure.

I publicly apologize for getting anyone's hopes up regarding Nikitin.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
He actually looked gassed tonight after a few plays... amazingly, after the year he had, and he's like this? Give credit where it's due I guess, it was a nice play for one of the goals but if he's awful in his own zone, which after all is the main responsibility, what the hell is the point if he makes one nice play in 100?

No one is going to take him and aside from burying him in the minors what else is there..:help:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He actually looked gassed tonight after a few plays... amazingly, after the year he had, and he's like this? Give credit where it's due I guess, it was a nice play for one of the goals but if he's awful in his own zone, which after all is the main responsibility, what the hell is the point if he makes one nice play in 100?

No one is going to take him and aside from burying him in the minors what else is there..:help:

It's nothing to sweat about. His contract is up at the end of the year and we've got other guys who play better than him who can play in his role.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
It's nothing to sweat about. His contract is up at the end of the year and we've got other guys who play better than him who can play in his role.

I guess it's just stunning to see someone make it to the top of their profession in the world, and then phone it in -- knowing full well there are many, many others who went through junior and minor pros, struggling to make it, and who would play like they give a damn. Frustrating to see that in an alleged NHL roster player.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This wasn't Mac-T's move. This was Howson's move. Did I spell that name right? The bum from Columbus. Whatever.
It was both of them. Doesn't help that MacTavish publically stated Nikitin is a top-4 dman at his end of the season presser either.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Regardless of contract, we need to see the 6 defenseman on the ice that give us the best chance to win..waive him and move on.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Didn't catch the game but his numbers were solid last night.
Over 23 mins +2 with an assist and a couple of shots. Personally I think he's a better option than Ference. I think he's a pretty good 4/5 guy if healthy. Problem is playing him at 23 mins like we were in the past is not going to help his game.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I think he gets waived. I doubt him or Ference are on the opening night roster with the additions of Reinhart and Gryba. They can't move Ference so they'll just healthy scratch him, and they'll waive Nikitin and move him later when someone takes a chance on him for 50%.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
It was both of them. Doesn't help that MacTavish publically stated Nikitin is a top-4 dman at his end of the season presser either.

That one comment kind of encapsulates everything that was wrong with the old regime. Always hoping that players would suddenly succeed in roles they never had success in before. What a ridiculous way to run a sports team.

Just think. If MacT was still in charge, Nikitin would be in the top four and Klefbom would be getting forcefed 25 minutes a night, sink or swim.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
This wasn't Mac-T's move. This was Howson's move. Did I spell that name right? The bum from Columbus. Whatever.

Gotta disagree with you here. MacT was in complete control, and this was confirmed in Katz's last apology letter.

The Assistant GM can't make moves on his own, against the wishes of the GM.

If MacT was receiving advice from Howson that he didn't like, he should have simply dismissed it, and eventually replaced Howson with somebody else.

This is on MacT 100%.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Gotta disagree with you here. MacT was in complete control, and this was confirmed in Katz's last apology letter.

The Assistant GM can't make moves on his own, against the wishes of the GM.

If MacT was receiving advice from Howson that he didn't like, he should have simply dismissed it, and eventually replaced Howson with somebody else.

This is on MacT 100%.

We needed bodies, if Nikitins back held up it wouldn't have been to bad. We were playing this guy 20+ mins a night, way to much for him. It was only a 2 year deal

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
We needed bodies, if Nikitins back held up it wouldn't have been to bad. We were playing this guy 20+ mins a night, way to much for him. It was only a 2 year deal

It's still $4.5 mil tied up in a player who should be paid like 1/3 of that. His cap hit, combined with Ference's and Purcell's really limited what Chia could do with the team this off-season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's still $4.5 mil tied up in a player who should be paid like 1/3 of that. His cap hit, combined with Ference's and Purcell's really limited what Chia could do with the team this off-season.

While I agree on Nikitin/Ference... overrated bottom pairing dmen from the getgo... with the Purcell deal... they had Gagner and would have been on the hook for his cap hit as well... they had to take something back to get rid of him and they thought Purcell on the wing would be a better option than a slow, not physical, defensively lacking C. There was really no way of getting around a lose-lose deal with Purcell/Gagner. In hindsight they should have dealt Gagner away instead of signing him to the deal that they did.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Reinhart is playing too good to reward Nikitin with a spot.

Nikita can play in Bakersfield and wait for his contract to run out. Or, get moved if somehow possible.

Ference, due to contract, is stuck as the No.7, although I'd prefer Davidson.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

What would we have done with a lot of cap space? Get into a long term deal with Franson or Green? With how Schultz and Reinhart look so far this pre season, I don't think that would have been a good idea.

We could have created cap space by buying someone one, but we didn't. That would have resulted in a small cap hit for the following season, but would have given us more options today. Instead, it seems like Chiarelli wants to go with what we have and let these deals run their course. It is looking like next offseason will be better for free agent hunting anyway, where we might actually be able to find someone we could actually use, and not just upgrade our bottom 4.

The same goes for forward. To add a good player, like Soderberg or Frolik, they will want big money and term. It just makes more sense to limit our spending and stick with our depth guys today. Draisaitl, Hendricks, Korpikoski and others are decent depth guys anyway. It's not worth getting in big commitments to make that upgrade, and handcuff our team in the future if a real opportunity becomes available

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here's a legit bump.

Over the off-season I suggested that Nikitin would come into camp a totally different man.
New coaching staff, contract year, healthy body and the chance to play with the newest generational player.

Boy was I ever naive. From what we've seen so far we're seeing a repeat of next year.

Boy have Reinhart and Nurse ever have to be excited, because this means that one of them are getting in for sure.

I publicly apologize for getting anyone's hopes up regarding Nikitin.

when the contract was signed I was happy it was just too year--boy was I dumb--the contract cost us Petry and blocked develpment of the younger D-men who should get 5-6 time

Worst contract the oilers gave out--at least ference is a good guy off the ice and can show the younger players how to give things back to the community

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
What would we have done with a lot of cap space? Get into a long term deal with Franson or Green? With how Schultz and Reinhart look so far this pre season, I don't think that would have been a good idea.

We could have created cap space by buying someone one, but we didn't. That would have resulted in a small cap hit for the following season, but would have given us more options today. Instead, it seems like Chiarelli wants to go with what we have and let these deals run their course. It is looking like next offseason will be better for free agent hunting anyway, where we might actually be able to find someone we could actually use, and not just upgrade our bottom 4.

The same goes for forward. To add a good player, like Soderberg or Frolik, they will want big money and term. It just makes more sense to limit our spending and stick with our depth guys today. Draisaitl, Hendricks, Korpikoski and others are decent depth guys anyway. It's not worth getting in big commitments to make that upgrade, and handcuff our team in the future if a real opportunity becomes available
:handclap:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its like you guys have never seen a player have an off season before.

Nagging injuries will do that, to me its the same as whether a rookie will show enough to be useful, except he could have an immediate impact.

If the young players cant beat out Nikitin for icetime, what does that say about them?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Nagging injuries will do that, to me its the same as whether a rookie will show enough to be useful, except he could have an immediate impact.

If the young players cant beat out Nikitin for icetime, what does that say about them?

They already have surpassed him...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

They might need more development time?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes