Rumor: Nikita Kucherov considering return to KHL

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If he is willing to go to the KHL he'd be a fool. If he is seeking $7M+ plus he would be the third highest paid player in that league. The russian personal income tax of 13% would be attractive I'd guess ... much higher in NA it looks like from the brief research on personal income tax in russia (2 minutes to google).

If you left Russia to begin with ... why would you want to go back. I lived in Cleveland for 22 years ... got out of there as soon as I graduated college. Have been back once in 12 years to visit family/friends ... I now live in Tampa and they come visit me. If he chose to leave Russia ... why would he want to go back. Not enough money in the world to go back to cold as hell place.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I guess this falls into the same boat as Galchenyuk going to the KHL. They want a better offer.

Agree with this - it's called leverage, and I've got no problem with Kuch's agent playing that card. It's the threat that pretty much every Russian star player can use, and if you have additional leverage - you should use it. No one feels sorry for the players without arbitration rights that the NHL teams can basically say "take it or leave it", so this is turn about and fair play IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There have still been Ben Bishop rumblings in Calgary. I wonder if Elliot+ for Bishop so they can sign Kucherov makes sense for both teams?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
These "going back to russian" threats are equivalent to Stamkos to Toronto articles. Of course there is a chance they go home but the odds are so low it's not worth talking about. Yet the home town paper will try everything in its power to start up rumours of their player coming home

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pulling out the KHL card likely means that Kucherov isn't happy with the money he's being offered. It just sounds much more convincing when the player happens to be Russian himself.

I guess he want Tarasenko money, and Tampa wants to re-sign as many of their other stars as possible. Makes sense for both sides, to be fair.

RangerRick61

Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Even if this were remotely close to being true, I'd imagine if Tampa can't afford him he would go to any other NHL team before going back to Russia.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This happens literally every single time a Russian player is in a contract negotiation. They use it as leverage to try to get more money. I'm sure Stevie Y isn't going to play hardball enough to make Kucherov think playing in the KHL is a better opportunity. It's better for guys who can't hack it in the NHL, not for legitimate stars. He'd cake walk through the league so easily it would likely get boring. It's why none of these reports are ever taken seriously.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Anyone else think both of Kucherov and Gaudreau are waiting for the other to sign? They should both be comparable contracts.

Totally agree, It sounds like both want the Tarensenko deal 8 years $60 million. Sounds like Gaudreau isn't planning on signing until after the world championship probably Kucherov as well along with Lindholm. Should start heating up with the signing by the end of the month i would think.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There have still been Ben Bishop rumblings in Calgary. I wonder if Elliot+ for Bishop so they can sign Kucherov makes sense for both teams?

I think if Calgary was willing to sign Bishop to a 7x7m contract, he'd already be a Flame.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Supposedly the rumor was that Bishop wanted 7x7m to sign with Calgary, It sounds like Treliving might've gotten cold feet considering that he had to give big money to both Monahan and Gaudreau. Elliott+ for Bishop might work would still have to think that Wideman would have to get dealt as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00