Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't see any of the Euro's coming over, or so I hope, they should have left DLR in the SHL at 19, so I hope they keep Olofsson there. Ikonen missing half the season they should leave him be and Ylonen I'd leave him there and see how he does next year and then think about bringing him over. You don't want too many rookies on Laval at one time as you want to make sure you have enough ice time to go around and still have room for vets to help the rookies.

While I agree with this, I really don't think Laval will be short of quality time to hand out in the top-6 next season -- not with their current roster -- and it's not three players that will prevent that from happening with room for a veteran here an there at the same time to lend support.

Unless we were to see Poehling AND Suzuki also play in Laval, along with Brook, which is a distinct possibility and a defendable stance for the team when developing its players.

Still, I'd be comfortable with Poehling and Olofsson being the top-2 Csm or #2 and #3 (or #1 and #3), with Froese acting as a veteran presence in the top-6. Ylonen could well use the time adapting to the smaller rinks, IMO.

All that said, the Swedish League that Olofsson plays in is a strong league and continuing ti develop there won't handicap him any and there,s no need to rush him ti the NHL with Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, potentially Suzuki and, even, Evans in the pipeline already.

Ikonen could, on the other hand, use another year (without injury, hopefully) in the Finnish league, but I'm already concerned that he's falling behind in his development because he is injury prone at such a young age.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
wrong and ... wrong ; best player available and Suzuki is ranked 10-15

I like the idea of having the Suzuki brothers on the same team. There's definitely talent there and the two can help motivate themselves out on the ice. look at it as the Sedins lite. ;) Slot a Tatar with that as a LW and you have a very solid 3rd line down the road!

I'd like to see a line of Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Ylonen, but I'd be afraid that it would be too soft. Maybe Domi - Kotkaniemi - Ylonen would have more bite and Drouin - Poehling - Gallagher would be a better fit?

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Ylonen
Drouin - Poehling - Gallagher
Tatar - Suzuki - Suzuki
Byron/Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw/Lehkonen
Lehkonen

The fourth line would be more of a veteran line, but there'd be speed, gumption and a bit of disturbing the peace. Lehkonen could switch in and the line would still be defensively sound with a bit of offensive upside.

Tatar - Suzuki - Suzuki would provide secondary scoring -- not just complementary scoring -- and be defensively responsible at the same time.

Drouin - Poehling - Gallagher, with Poehling and Gallagher drawing Drouin into the game plan, could also be a scoring two-way line.

Domi - kotkaniemi - Ylonen gives you three 200-ft players and two gazelles, one on either side of Kotkaniemi to spring forward on a breakaway or on a two-on-one. A breakout pass to either winger would see that winger still getting support on a breakaway.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
They need to make sure Evans, Vejdemo, Fleury are supported as well as 2nd year players. Suzuki, Poehling (unless he wants to return for his Senior year) Teasdale, Brook will all be incoming. They will have decisions to make on Tyszka, Walford, Koberstein. I'd sign Tyszka for sure, Walford depends on how he finishes the year, playoffs and how we are looking for the 50 contract limit. I'd lean towards signing him as long as they have the room on the 50.

I'd forgotten about Teasdale. That's another interesting prospect to follow in Laval next year.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Um. Who did we draft last year and what position is he? Pretty sure they surprised everyone with that pick. They drafted based on need.

I thought so too until Detroit's GM mentioned that most GMs assumed Kotk would go top 3 even around February.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I thought so too until Detroit's GM mentioned that most GMs assumed Kotk would go top 3 even around February.

Holland also talks quite a bit about fan fiction like not rushing players and develpping them, so he's a bit coocoo.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

While I agree with this, I really don't think Laval will be short of quality time to hand out in the top-6 next season -- not with their current roster -- and it's not three players that will prevent that from happening with room for a veteran here an there at the same time to lend support.

Unless we were to see Poehling AND Suzuki also play in Laval, along with Brook, which is a distinct possibility and a defendable stance for the team when developing its players.

Still, I'd be comfortable with Poehling and Olofsson being the top-2 Csm or #2 and #3 (or #1 and #3), with Froese acting as a veteran presence in the top-6. Ylonen could well use the time adapting to the smaller rinks, IMO.

All that said, the Swedish League that Olofsson plays in is a strong league and continuing ti develop there won't handicap him any and there,s no need to rush him ti the NHL with Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, potentially Suzuki and, even, Evans in the pipeline already.

Ikonen could, on the other hand, use another year (without injury, hopefully) in the Finnish league, but I'm already concerned that he's falling behind in his development because he is injury prone at such a young age.

it depends on what position they will have Suzuki, if you have Poehling, Suzuki, Evans, Vejdemo and management wanted to develop them all as centers, then there's no room for anyone else. Now Vejdemo could slide to wing or perhaps they move Suzuki to wing. For me Poehling and Evans have to be at center and get quality ice time. So I'd leave Olofsson alone as he's been in a major scoring slump, let him have another year in the SHL to see how he progresses then re-evaluate if they want to bring him over.

The problem is you don't know what players could surprise and make the Habs, cause if they don't then you would need to loan said player back to their Euro league and it would then cost a spot on the 50 contracts for each player loaned whereas if you left them there they aren't signed so they wouldn't take up a spot.

Of course a lot can happen between now and next camp as MB could trade some youth for a LD and other help.

Ikonen certainly isn't helped by missing over half a season, the good thing is that you get the 4 years before you have to sign the Euro picks so they can take their time with him and see how he progresses.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Nick Suzuki looks faster. He’s got a very good shot. His offensive mind is there. I think he reminds me of David Pastrnak.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I saw a preview of Team Canada and those forwards are amazing. I doubt very much Suzuki sticks out amongst that group...same with Brook on D. Canada is stacked, if they get good goaltending they will be tough to beat

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I saw a preview of Team Canada and those forwards are amazing. I doubt very much Suzuki sticks out amongst that group...same with Brook on D. Canada is stacked, if they get good goaltending they will be tough to beat
I think this is going to be the Glass/Comtois/Tippett show for Canada.

Reactions: Tyson

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Suzuki stood out the most last game. Brook has been bumped to top pairing. Brook especially has a real shot at standing out.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Suzuki was Canada's best forward last game. He's playing with a 17 year old and a guy with a busted up hand though so we'll see. He's going to QB the powerplay though so I expect a good amount of points.

Brook was probably Canada's best dman last game.We'll see how he manages on his off side. Dobson is now on the 3rd pair so I think Brook's pair will be a bit steadier

Reactions: DAChampion

MC94

May 13, 2018
Um. Who did we draft last year and what position is he? Pretty sure they surprised everyone with that pick. They drafted based on need.
Everybody thought Zadina was going 3rd and he went 6th that just shows maybe you shouldnt buy into all of the armchair GMs posting their rankings online, maybe if the habs picked Kotka over Svechnikov I would believe they drafted him for position alone but the fact is he just was not as big of a surprise at 3 as the media was making him out to be

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Loved the pass Suzuki mafe on Morgan Frost's hattrick goal against Denmark. Things of beauty the pass and goal, Go Canada Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Suzuki was Canada's best forward last game. He's playing with a 17 year old and a guy with a busted up hand though so we'll see. He's going to QB the powerplay though so I expect a good amount of points.

Brook was probably Canada's best dman last game.We'll see how he manages on his off side. Dobson is now on the 3rd pair so I think Brook's pair will be a bit steadier

I agree that Brooks was pretty good but Suzuki was definitely not Canada's best forward.......His line and the 4th were average yesterday. Morgan Frost and the 1st ine were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad