Value of: Nick Schmaltz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Very nearly a PPG player the last two years on shit teams, no inclination to trade him, much like Chychrun, it would be a lot.

Reactions: Nowotny

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like the sort of player where his value to other teams might not be as high as it is to the Yotes.

To the Coyotes, he's a highly productive player under contract with some term. To other teams looking at him, i think there'd be a large degree of wariness over whether he's really that productive, or whether it's a bit of a case of being "good on a bad team". Would he really be as productive in a lesser role with a better team, with less opportunity?

So i think you end up with a value gulf that's hard to bridge to actually make a trade happen.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
5.85 million cap hit for the next 3 years, however, he'll be paid a total of 25.5 million in real dollars over that period

That's gotta lower his trade value at least a little, doesn't it?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Seems like the sort of player where his value to other teams might not be as high as it is to the Yotes.
I agree with this.

Coyotes benefit from having a productive, right-shooting RW that keeps Guenther away from the toughest matchups and the pressure of being a top performer. Also, Schmaltz is Keller's partner in crime. We can't get rid of one and expect the other to stay happy.

Probably a year from now he'll be less relied on for these things?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Schmaltz is criminally underrated among Coyotes fans. Since Schmaltz was acquired he has scored at a .757 points per game pace over the 5 seasons as a Coyote. In those same 5 seasons Keller’s point per game pace is .709. One is considered to have an albatross contract, and the other is future captain. The only issue I have with Schmaltz is his ability to get hurt rivals Chychruns. Where Keller is usually an iron man and it took a broken femur to knock him out of the line-up. And even then he only missed 15 games total.

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Unless some team overpays I don’t see the coyotes trading him. He brings a lot of value to them as a good veteran scorer while the young talent comes in and grows

Reactions: Nowotny

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
5.85 million cap hit for the next 3 years, however, he'll be paid a total of 25.5 million in real dollars over that period

Nor for a player who's already worth more than his contract.

It could motivate Arizona to trade him... That's about all it would do.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Underrated player at this point. Really, really skilled offensively - I’d say his production would go up on a really good team not down (would love a playmaking winger like him on the Avs to fill the Burakovsky role for example and could see him putting up similar totals to Bura last year). His playmaking skills would be welcome on a lot of teams. His AAV is more than fair. Injuries of course are the red flag. Like others have said, hard to see him being moved anytime soon unless some bonkers offer comes in.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

I don't think it would if anything the "richer" teams in the NHL would rather pay higher salary to anyone and have a lower cap hit like in Schmaltz's case. For a team like Arizona, if they trade him its due to the salary they may not want to pay just like OEL and look what the Arizina GM got for moving that boat anchor contract...a friggin top 10 pick, another 2nd round pick and years more pay 2 players now not 3 12m in total.

That old GM of the Canucks was either clueless at his job or wanted to make Vancouver suffer more by handcuffing a shitty retool 4.0 Vancouver Canucks team with that OEL and Garland trade!

Schmaltz should stay with the Coyotes, does he play C full time or sometimes on the wing? Be a good target for say Colorado if they offered Newhook and a 1st it might interest Arizona enough to counter back or something...I dunno!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

$5.85M cap hit versus $8.5M actual salary annually over the next 3 years.

Yes, that would motivate AZ to trade him, and it would therefore also lower his trade value.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't think it would if anything the "richer" teams in the NHL would rather pay higher salary to anyone and have a lower cap hit like in Schmaltz's case. For a team like Arizona, if they trade him its due to the salary they may not want to pay just like OEL and look what the Arizina GM got for moving that boat anchor contract...a friggin top 10 pick, another 2nd round pick and years more pay 2 players now not 3 12m in total.

That old GM of the Canucks was either clueless at his job or wanted to make Vancouver suffer more by handcuffing a shitty retool 4.0 Vancouver Canucks team with that OEL and Garland trade!

Schmaltz should stay with the Coyotes, does he play C full time or sometimes on the wing? Be a good target for say Colorado if they offered Newhook and a 1st it might interest Arizona enough to counter back or something...I dunno!
I disagree

He'll be 27 at the end of February, so he's entering his prime at a time when the Coyotes are in the early stages of a rebuild

If he's a difference-maker on the ice, that could lead to a few additional wins, and ultimately hurt the team's chances of landing the 1st overall pick in a future draft. Then in 3 years when the team is attempting to emerge from a rebuild without having drafted a franchise player, they'll either trade Schmaltz in his contract year, let him walk in UFA, or sign him to a long term contract that is now exiting his prime

Or, they can trade him for picks/prospects, and then use that now available money/cap space to take on a cap dump along with the picks/prospects that come with it

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He seems like a great target for the Canes. If he were available, which I doubt. Similarly, I’d love to get Crouse from Arizona, but I think he is likely not available either. As much as Arizona is early in a rebuild, you need some good players around your young guys for them to learn the pro game.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He seems like a great target for the Canes. If he were available, which I doubt. Similarly, I’d love to get Crouse from Arizona, but I think he is likely not available either. As much as Arizona is early in a rebuild, you need some good players around your young guys for them to learn the pro game.

Not only do you have no idea if that's true, you would have no way to quantify its impact if it were

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not only do you have no idea if that's true, you would have no way to quantify its impact if it were
The eye test suggests that teams that do a scorched Earth rebuild take longer to be competitive, while teams that “retool” take less time. That said, I have no quantitative measurements to support that statement. However, because I don’t have any quantitative measurements, does not mean your assertion that there is “no way to quantify its impact” is accurate either.

Reactions: biturbo19

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I disagree

He'll be 27 at the end of February, so he's entering his prime at a time when the Coyotes are in the early stages of a rebuild

If he's a difference-maker on the ice, that could lead to a few additional wins, and ultimately hurt the team's chances of landing the 1st overall pick in a future draft. Then in 3 years when the team is attempting to emerge from a rebuild without having drafted a franchise player, they'll either trade Schmaltz in his contract year, let him walk in UFA, or sign him to a long term contract that is now exiting his prime

Or, they can trade him for picks/prospects, and then use that now available money/cap space to take on a cap dump along with the picks/prospects that come with it
Problem is there are plenty of teams (Vancouver being one) with overpriced wingers that are looking to sell these assets for less than market value just to get out of the contract. AZ wants premiums. Why pay up for a Schmaltz when u can get Garland for a 5th?

Reactions: biturbo19 and rt

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The eye test suggests that teams that do a scorched Earth rebuild take longer to be competitive, while teams that “retool” take less time. That said, I have no quantitative measurements to support that statement. However, because I don’t have any quantitative measurements, does not mean your assertion that there is “no way to quantify its impact” is accurate either.

I said you have no way to quantify its impact

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
What ever is the going rate for a second line center,that is what he s worth.He is a poor man’s Nazim Kadri! Maybe a Vincent Trocheck!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I don't see why the Coyotes would trade Schmaltz? Unless if they also plan on trading Keller? The Coyotes need to bring in someone to compliment Keller Schmaltz, not break up the pair. I personally believe that Bedard would be a good candidate.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Would love for him to go to the Islanders as they need some scoring punch on either of their first two lines.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Would love for him to go to the Islanders as they need some scoring punch on either of their first two lines.

I have a hard time seeing Schmaltz as a good fit with Barzal. In a lot of ways, he's kinda like a "poor mans Barzal" stylistically. Not sure you want two of those type of guys on the same line. Not that it'd be a dealbreaker, in that it'd still be useful on the other top line, and/or shuffle some other things around. But it's a small factor that adds a question to whether he'd be an ideal fit for the Isles in terms of versatility/flexibility/chemistry. You also never know...sometimes guys find chemistry in strange ways, and maybe their similar way of approaching the game makes them perfect linemates. I just don't know how many pucks they'd actually put on net. :laugh:

But that's overlooking the bigger obstacle, of whether he'd even be available at a price that seems reasonable to the Isles. Which he probably wouldn't be.

Like @hbk said above, Arizona probably want a "premium" price for a guy like Schmaltz. Whereas you've got a bunch of other teams out there (Vancouver being perhaps the most prominent example), who have a surplus of wingers with similar contracts that they're probably looking to get out from under to retool their roster. Guys like Garland and Boeser who are probably a better "fit" stylistically for the Isles, and likely being "sold off" at acquisition prices that seriously undercut what i think the Yotes would want for Schmaltz.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What a weird thing to call some out for…

Anyway, my guess is Schmaltz is available. He’s a good player, just not a game changing player. He also reaps the rewards of Keller’s ability to get him the puck. He is pretty damn good defensively imo.

1st maybe? I don’t know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad