Value of: Nick Schmaltz to Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
cleanhitshockey.com
With the rumors that GM Don Waddell is looking to bring in some scoring to replace the loss of the Gaudreau, I am wondering if there is a fit to send Nick Schmaltz to Columbus?

Schmaltz has a 10-team NTC, but he's from the Midwest so he may be cool with going to Columbus. Cap hit is 2 more years at $5,850,000.

From Utah's standpoint, Schmaltz is getting to the point of being a luxury piece because they have so many young players pushing for forward spots.

Just not sure what an appropriate return or ask is. Utah is mostly past the point of bringing in picks and prospects. Jackets fans, is there interest and a logical fit here?

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Jackets are looking for two things in a veteran:
1. Good dressing fit
2, Discounted value from a team that is cap strapped

If the return is nominal, then Schmaltz might be fit based upon item 1. Right now too many teams have moves to make to be cap compliant by puck drop on the opening night for Columbus to actually have to pay anything of significance.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I do like the target, but I agree that Columbus is more likely to wait for someone they can get for free rather than spend actual assets.

Reactions: Viqsi

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
With the rumors that GM Don Waddell is looking to bring in some scoring to replace the loss of the Gaudreau, I am wondering if there is a fit to send Nick Schmaltz to Columbus?

Schmaltz has a 10-team NTC, but he's from the Midwest so he may be cool with going to Columbus. Cap hit is 2 more years at $5,850,000.

From Utah's standpoint, Schmaltz is getting to the point of being a luxury piece because they have so many young players pushing for forward spots.

Just not sure what an appropriate return or ask is. Utah is mostly past the point of bringing in picks and prospects. Jackets fans, is there interest and a logical fit here?
Why again? The UtHC is trying to make the playoffs and NS is an established linemate with Keller! Don't see how trading him helps Utah. And ATM, I don't see any prospects pushing Schmaltz out. Next year, but not this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad