Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If we need secondary scoring, I am not sure any of those players can replace him.

He outproduced Knies and McMann with less of an opportunity.

Greb is a dark horse, but doubt it.

Cowan would likely be higher up the lineup, so maybe.

JVR, maybe with PP time.

The rest, no.

Some of these players like Steeves, Abruzzese, Minten, and Tverberg have little offensive upside.

Nylander got all of his 15 points in 32% of the games he played, I think it was a flash in the pan and nothing more, his production tapered off towards the end of the season.

The first half with CBJ was 11 points in 12 games
The second half with CBJ was 4 points in 11 games

I'm intrigued by Nylander, just think it is more likely he will be nothing, but curious if being around his brother might help a little.

Because the same people who want everyone to take a discount expect the players to realize this is a business and they are just an employee.

He does one thing well, and he doesn't want to do that one thing in Toronto.

It is a business, and RFA's with little time in the league aren't the ones calling the shots.

He isn't the missing difference maker, although they'll miss the 1 playoffs goal he scored in 2020.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
maybe he doesn't want to be sent down again, and again, for no reason other than they don't have cap room because they failed to manage their cap appropriately. So Nick needs to suffer? i think he deserves somewhere else.
Play better and force them to keep you in the lineup.

Reactions: OddyOh and Rude Dog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why is he still here Tre? Get a pick for him before camp opens up .. once a guy has told da whole world he does not want to be a Leaf --- "off with his head" .. no time for stupid here .. he got brutal advice from his agent and he has no path to return to team .. there is too much "I" in Nick

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He does one thing well, and he doesn't want to do that one thing in Toronto.

It is a business, and RFA's with little time in the league aren't the ones calling the shots.

He isn't the missing difference maker, although they'll miss the 1 playoffs goal he scored in 2020.

He makes the team better than the majority of players you listed and some current roster players, that is the bottom line.

They should work on a resolution and if it doesn't work, it makes sense to move him because it is a waste of an asset.

Anyone saying "he is an RFA just tell him to go to Europe or sit out" should probably never comment on assets being wasted and they should then not comment on contracts being signed for too much, because this is a business after all and the employees should be trying to bleed their employer dry.

He's honestly probably our 2nd best prospect if he is considered a prospect.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
or maybe he's sick of being sent down because the leafs didnt have enough cap room and he was the sacrificial lamb.

Maybe the leafs should have thought about the negative consequences about managing their cap better picking the min wage guys.

I have no problems with what Nick is doing

Most teams would tend to send down the 22 year old ELC guy not with no waivers eligibility to keep the roster intact. You just don’t run into a lot of 14 goal scorers who think of themselves as 50 goal scorers.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Why is he still here Tre? Get a pick for him before camp opens up .. once a guy has told da whole world he does not want to be a Leaf --- "off with his head" .. no time for stupid here .. he got brutal advice from his agent and he has no path to return to team .. there is too much "I" in Nick

its not brutal advice, he will not get a chance on the leafs unless he is unreal. He needs a team that can use him. The last thing he needs is to be signing a "show us you belong in the NHL" contract years from now with some other team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He makes the team better than the majority of players you listed and some current roster players, that is the bottom line.

They should work on a resolution and if it doesn't work, it makes sense to move him because it is a waste of an asset.

Anyone saying "he is an RFA just tell him to go to Europe or sit out" should probably never comment on assets being wasted and they should then not comment on contracts being signed for too much, because this is a business after all and the employees should be trying to bleed their employer dry.

Highly debatable that Robertson makes the team better overall. He’s one of the weaker 200 foot players on the team but comes with a unique scoring touch.

The goals per minute rate actually tells you something. He scores when he’s out there, but you don’t want him out there that much.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Highly debatable that Robertson makes the team better overall. He’s one of the weaker 200 foot players on the team but comes with a unique scoring touch.

The goals per minute rate actually tells you something. He scores when he’s out there, but you don’t want him out there that much.

Well his G% is better than most of the team, so looks like when he is on the ice they are winning, it is almost like those goals help win.

If you want to use the TOI he gets as an example of him not being trusted, he is trusted at 5v5 as much as Kampf, McMann, and Holmberg, and then he is trusted more than Reaves (obviously).

Least trusted for zone deployment, sure, I agree. He is in the same tier as Domi for that.

What metrics are you using to measure his effectiveness? Hopefully not trustme/60.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

This is all on Robertson.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Leafs are 7-7 in games that Robertson scored goals last season. Leafs are 30-26 with Robertson in the line up. So yes he helps win more than lose but not as substantial as others make it out to be.

More ice time does not mean he will keep up his goal pace or be as effective. More ice time means more difficult match ups and if he struggles defensively how much is that contributed overall to the team.

I believe there is upside on the player so I’m not just going to give him away if someone isn’t offering fair value.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well his G% is better than most of the team, so looks like when he is on the ice they are winning, it is almost like those goals help win.

If you want to use the TOI he gets as an example of him not being trusted, he is trusted at 5v5 as much as Kampf, McMann, and Holmberg, and then he is trusted more than Reaves (obviously).

Least trusted for zone deployment, sure, I agree. He is in the same tier as Domi for that.

What metrics are you using to measure his effectiveness? Hopefully not trustme/60.

Advanced stats are a supplement to watching him play.

It's almost as if you don't have to watch, just look at some stats and you know how someone plays.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Advanced stats are a supplement to watching him play.

It's almost as if you don't have to watch, just look at some stats and you know how someone plays.

I watched him outscore the opposition... factually you can not say the opposite.

I also watched him outplay players who are likely on the opening night roster.

What did you see when watching him?

Also, TOI, deployment, and goals for and against are advanced stats?

Is anything with a % sign or not a whole number an advanced stat?

No, it isn't.

The Leafs don't win if Robertson sits, so they have the motivation to find a resolution whether it is a trade or playing for the team.

So many people on this board moan about the picks we trade away, at least we get players for them that play. It seems weird to not care about prospects and only care about picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No, it isn't.

The Leafs don't win if Robertson sits, so they have the motivation to find a resolution whether it is a trade or playing for the team.

So many people on this board moan about the picks we trade away, at least we get players for them that play. It seems weird to not care about prospects and only care about picks.

They've offered him a contract and he isn't interested in signing and said he still isn't interested in playing for the team that holds his rights.

All his choice.
He even says it is all his choice.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

They've offered him a contract and he isn't interested in signing and said he still isn't interested in playing for the team that holds his rights.

All his choice.

Yes, it is his choice... I am saying that it is in the Leafs' best interest to find a resolution or make a trade.

The Leafs have a choice based on his decision.

The worst decision is what most people are saying the Leafs should do, glad that they are far away from this team.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes, it is his choice... I am saying that it is in the Leafs' best interest to find a resolution or make a trade.

The worst decision is what most people are saying the Leafs should do, glad that they are far away from this team.

Here is the thing, there are rules when you agree to get drafted.

Robertson agreed.

If the Leafs let Robertson decide how they run their franchise it is bad long term for the franchise and all the fans.

Robertson is just 1 player and he is much, much less important than the franchise.

Leafs are in the right, and Robertson agreed with the rules.

My guess is Robertson is willing to accept the rules, which he agreed to, and is quite willing to stick to his conviction.

We should all support his decision, and applaud his conviction to not play in the NHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The Leafs best option may actually be to let him sit at home or go to Europe.

If he misses time and has a poor camp, slow to start the season, they may have to lose him on waivers pretty soon. That's an L.

If they "find a resolution" and the return is poor, people will crap all over Toronto for the rest of Robertson's career while he comes back here like some bloody little hero who had to overcome so much adversity.

Let him stay at home or go to the Swiss League, he just becomes an after thought whose career highlight was scoring 14 goals that one time.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Robertson agreed.

If the Leafs let Robertson decide how they run their franchise it is bad long term for the franchise and all the fans.

Robertson is just 1 player and he is much, much less important than the franchise.

My guess is Robertson is willing to accept the rules, which he agreed to, and is quite willing to stick to his conviction.

We should all support his decision, and applaud his conviction to not play in the NHL.

This kind of "call your shot" behaviour can only be pulled off successfully if you have leverage.

Superstar leverage of the Eric Lindros variety. You're a franchise changing element with millions of dollars and competitive balance on the line. Go have at it.

College star-brat leverage, threaten to go back to school, inching towards unrestricted free agency.

Nick Robertson is neither an elite player, an elite prospect, a recent high draft pick, isn't close to UFA status, no arb rights, isn't all full time NHL guy... figure it out.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The Leafs best option may actually be to let him sit at home or go to Europe.

If he misses time and has a poor camp, slow to start the season, they may have to lose him on waivers pretty soon. That's an L.

If they "find a resolution" and the return is poor, people will crap all over Toronto for the rest of Robertson's career while he comes back here like some bloody little hero who had to overcome so much adversity.

Let him stay at home or go to the Swiss League, he just becomes an after thought whose career highlight was scoring 14 goals that one time.

And this will all negatively reflect the Leafs organization.

I am sure players on the bubble or rebounding will be lining up to play for a team that would rather their players play in Europe than move them.

Good thing Robertson's agent isn't one of the largest agents in the NHL and won't have an influence on any notable players...

Spoiler: He's the biggest agent in the NHL.

Robertson agreed.

Yes, you keep saying this, I know, you are exhausting to talk to.

I am not discussing who has a right to what.

I am discussing what is best for the team.

I am assuming you think Treliving messed up the Tkachuk situation and should have just let him play out his contract, not forced his hand.

Is Treliving looked at as letting players make decisions for him? That's only logical with what you wrote above.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I am sure players on the bubble or rebounding will be lining up to play for a team that would rather their players play in Europe than move them.

Good thing Robertson's agent isn't one of the largest agents in the NHL and won't have an influence on any notable players...

I am assuming you think Treliving messed up the Tkachuk situation and should have just let him play out his contract, not forced his hand.

Is Treliving looked at as letting players make decisions for him? That's only logical with what you wrote above.

He can sit.

The return wont be good enough to justify the cost to develop. If he has brains he gets back on the ice and shuts his routinely injured little face.

No point in letting this kid dictate anything.

Reactions: HolyCrap

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

All his choice.
There’s freedom in doing what you want, hope he remains true to himself wherever that takes him……..

Reactions: ULF_55

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The Nick Robertson camp instigated the fight with the Leafs, so if it came down to placating the little brat and backing down to his all powerful agency, maybe the right play is to just do nothing and show them how little they matter? What’s the downside here, Pat Brisson isn’t going to give us a deep discount on Elias Pettersson or one of his other useful clients?

Reactions: thewave

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Robertson agreed.

For a guy who’s supposedly unimportant to the team there’s lots of talk, someone so insignificant shouldn’t warrant so much attention………

Reactions: francis246

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

In your world, players dictate where and how they can play, at any time of their career?

Robertson being the GM of the Leafs is not what is best for the team.

Reactions: thewave

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For a guy who’s supposedly unimportant to the team there’s lots of talk, someone so insignificant shouldn’t warrant so much attention………

For me the drama stems from someone who isn't that important acting overly self-important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad