Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I’d be pissed too if my idiot coach scratched me for Noah f***ing Gregor. He should still re-sign though and stop this nonsense.

Also what are we supposed to glean from his last Instagram post? I guess it’s noteworthy that he thanked the fans, teammates, and support staff but not coaches. Don’t blame him for that omission.
Why would you make a post saying it was an enjoyable season and then immediately request a trade ? That doesn’t add up to me

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
CJ brought it up on the podcast today about him being scratched game 7. I guarantee you that was the final straw for him. Go look at Nick’s last Instagram post something doesn’t add up…
Sounds like he has a problem with management since he thanked everyone but the coaching staff and mgmt/ownership and yhe coach is gone……..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
CJ brought it up on the podcast today about him being scratched game 7. I guarantee you that was the final straw for him. Go look at Nick’s last Instagram post something doesn’t add up…

This is why the kid is losing the PR battle. The guy has raging 0’s in six games vs Boston. Like good for you if you think you’re going to be a difference maker and should be in Game 7, but maybe the random teammate is just as viable a 4th liner and you shouldn’t take it so personally. And even if you took it personally, maybe fire up the Internet once in a while to realize the head coach is a new person.

The entitlement and diva-like attitude that has been alluded to vs what he actually does on the ice is just hard to reconcile.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun on Robertson's next steps in Toronto, the Maple Leafs' wing depth and Swayman's contract outlook - TSN.ca

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun joined OverDrive to discuss the latest around the NHL, Nick Robertson's trade request from the Maple Leafs and the wing depth on the team, Jeremy Swayman's RFA status in Boston, the PTO market in the league and more.

With Toronto Maple Leafs training camp set to open in under two weeks, there is no guarantee that restricted free agent Nick Robertson will be there.

Robertson remains unsigned heading into the season after completing his entry-level contract.

He had 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games with the Maple Leafs last season, but requested a trade from the team on June 30.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports that Robertson would still prefer to move on and have a fresh start elsewhere.

"He still would prefer a change of address," said LeBrun on TSN's OverDrive. "But that has been slow going on that. Got a pretty powerful agent in Pat Brisson, but checking with a couple different people involved today, he's training back home and waiting for a resolution."

"But the process certainly hasn't moved along as fast as I think his camp would like so we'll see where that goes."

The 22-year-old winger, who was selected 53rd overall by Toronto in 2019, has spent the majority of his professional career going back and forth between the Maple Leafs and the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
LeBrun on Robertson's next steps in Toronto, the Maple Leafs' wing depth and Swayman's contract outlook - TSN.ca

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun joined OverDrive to discuss the latest around the NHL, Nick Robertson's trade request from the Maple Leafs and the wing depth on the team, Jeremy Swayman's RFA status in Boston, the PTO market in the league and more.

With Toronto Maple Leafs training camp set to open in under two weeks, there is no guarantee that restricted free agent Nick Robertson will be there.

Robertson remains unsigned heading into the season after completing his entry-level contract.

He had 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games with the Maple Leafs last season, but requested a trade from the team on June 30.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports that Robertson would still prefer to move on and have a fresh start elsewhere.

"He still would prefer a change of address," said LeBrun on TSN's OverDrive. "But that has been slow going on that. Got a pretty powerful agent in Pat Brisson, but checking with a couple different people involved today, he's training back home and waiting for a resolution."

"But the process certainly hasn't moved along as fast as I think his camp would like so we'll see where that goes."

The 22-year-old winger, who was selected 53rd overall by Toronto in 2019, has spent the majority of his professional career going back and forth between the Maple Leafs and the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies.

The Leafs owe Robertson nothing, not taking an L in a trade to accommodate a complete nobody.

Come to camp, earn your minutes and make another team pony up an asset the Leafs would want otherwise enjoy Europe until your 27.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don’t understand why they shopped Nylander and when they counldn’t get the return they were looking for they compound the cap problem by signing Nylander to a bloated contract, if they wanted a RHD specifically why not let him walk and acquire said D man via free agency? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do……..
Well you do know there is no verified data being discussed.

Speculation isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
One strange common assumption is that Robo is unaware that we have a new coach and that LW has thinned out - it's pretty basic stuff. He has clearly requested a trade despite this. Does that indicate he has a good reason that isn't public? Who cares.

He honored and completed his ELC and now he wants out. The team has competitive protection to not lose him so young for nothing. So move him out at whatever market will pay - that's the team getting back their value owed.

The idea of forcing a disgruntled employee into our dressing room to see if he can perform well enough to extract a small extra something is bizarre, and without knowing the details, banishing the kid to Europe may have the opposite effect we're looking for.

Reactions: rumman

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
One strange common assumption is that Robo is unaware that we have a new coach and that LW has thinned out - it's pretty basic stuff. He has clearly requested a trade despite this. Does that indicate he has a good reason that isn't public? Who cares.

He honored and completed his ELC and now he wants out. The team has competitive protection to not lose him so young for nothing. So move him out at whatever market will pay - that's the team getting back their value owed.

The idea of forcing a disgruntled employee into our dressing room to see if he can perform well enough to extract a small extra something is bizarre, and without knowing the details, banishing the kid to Europe may have the opposite effect we're looking for.

Screw that noise. He completed his ELC? Big whoop. The Leafs still have his rights. And the franchise as a whole has been good to him. He’s been injured a ton during his time here and the organization stuck by him and helped him through multiple rehabs. If the Leafs trade him for a song and he becomes a consistent 20-30 goal scorer they’ll look like fools and they will have wasted an asset and tons of resources spent developing him for nothing.

No. He doesn’t get to dictate what happens. If he’s so pigheaded that he can’t see or is willing to ignore the golden opportunity before him with the Leafs that’s his business. It’s better for the Leafs to let him rot and maybe go off to Europe than to trade him at a loss and chance him thriving and haunting the team for years to come.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t think it worth capitulating to Nick Robertson and putting the precedent out there that any player with zero leverage can just make a stink and the organization will have to accommodate him no matter what. That is weak stuff.

I personally don’t want Robertson back but I’m also not ok with the idea we have to take anything back just so he can go somewhere and “prove the Leafs wrong.” The team can apply the pressure of time, lost wages, lost opportunity to get his cooperation, whatever management feels is best for the team.

It’s a relationship Robertson turned into an adversarial one. There’s no need to accommodate him, we’re not obligated to.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don’t think it worth capitulating to Nick Robertson and putting the precedent out there that any player with zero leverage can just make a stink and the organization will have to accommodate him no matter what. That is weak stuff.

I personally don’t want Robertson back but I’m also not ok with the idea we have to take anything back just so he can go somewhere and “prove the Leafs wrong.” The team can apply the pressure of time, lost wages, lost opportunity to get his cooperation, whatever management feels is best for the team.

It’s a relationship Robertson turned into an adversarial one. There’s no need to accommodate him, we’re not obligated to.
There was some of this with Connor Garland heading into last season and look how that went. Stayed and was a huge contributor. Not the same contract situation but was looking to move on.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well you do know there is no verified data being discussed.

Speculation isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.
Should I remind you of this post every time I read you discussing anything in this forum that isn’t a stone cold fact? Judge not least yee be judged………

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Earn your minutes. You want a trade, be ready to sit out the year. It doesn’t really add up. You can try to accommodate him, but if we’re not getting a 2nd back, you can’t give him away. Call the bluff and let him sit.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Hes better off playing out the year, building some trade value and establishing himself as a legit NHL player. Sitting at home whining won’t do him any good and it creates a me-first soft mentality. I’m sure other NHL teams are aware of this and probably don’t have much interest in him at the moment. They’d rather promote the hard working team guys they’ve developed in their system.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Hes better off playing out the year, building some trade value and establishing himself as a legit NHL player. Sitting at home whining won’t do him any good and it creates a me-first soft mentality. I’m sure other NHL teams are aware of this and probably don’t have much interest in him at the moment. They’d rather promote the hard working team guys they’ve developed in their system.
It would be mind boggling if he is not signed and in camp from the beginning. Mind boggling on his part.

I can't recall a player with less leverage taking a position like this. You could make a very easy case for it being to the Leafs advantage that Robbie sit out so we can give Cowan his nine games (at least) and see what Grebenkin can do with decent line mates...even Steeves, Minten and Nylander.

Not having to scratch Robert's or a veteran to get these guys a look makes it easier on us. I have to believe he and his agent see this and will sign and say "we always wanted to be here, we just want an opportunity, and now we have one and will make the most of it".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Another way to look at this, is what benefit to us, is a 3rd round pick next year? Maybe we'll hit on it, and they will contribute in 3-5 years... so it's zero benefit at the current time. Him sitting at home really isn't any different to us, than a 3rd round pick next year... So, who cares, sit at home.

I think he can be a good player for us, a 25g, 20a type of guy. Not a star, but a useful contributor. But he hasn't established himself fully, just shown potential..... so he has no leverage. He isn't some star that we can't possibly start the season without. As @conFABulator mentions, there could be some benefits to him sitting out, though we'd be better with him on the team.

He has no leverage, so... sign and play. Prove your worth, there is opportunity here, probably more opportunity at LW, than most of the other teams in the league.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Another way to look at this, is what benefit to us, is a 3rd round pick next year? Maybe we'll hit on it, and they will contribute in 3-5 years... so it's zero benefit at the current time. Him sitting at home really isn't any different to us, than a 3rd round pick next year... So, who cares, sit at home.

I think he can be a good player for us, a 25g, 20a type of guy. Not a star, but a useful contributor. But he hasn't established himself fully, just shown potential..... so he has no leverage. He isn't some star that we can't possibly start the season without. As @conFABulator mentions, there could be some benefits to him sitting out, though we'd be better with him on the team.

He has no leverage, so... sign and play. Prove your worth, there is opportunity here, probably more opportunity at LW, than most of the other teams in the league.
Same could be said about Lilly yet he got a generous contract for what he’s proven.

I don’t want the Leafs to continue giving into player remands, but I think Robertson has value, so if you can improve the team and get rid of someone who obviously doesn’t want to be here you should do it imo. I don’t want players playing here that don’t want to be here……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Same could be said about Lilly yet he got a generous contract for what he’s proven.

I don’t want the Leafs to continue giving into player remands, but I think Robertson has value, so if you can improve the team and get rid of someone who obviously doesn’t want to be here you should do it imo. I don’t want players playing here that don’t want to be here……..

Liljegren has almost 200 NHL games. He's established himself as a full time NHL player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Should I remind you of this post every time I read you discussing anything in this forum that isn’t a stone cold fact? Judge not least yee be judged………

Certainly, you may.

Judge away, shouldn't be afraid of judgement.

Too paraphrase an old saying, a speculation repeated a million times is still a speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad