Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander hasn't produced more (barely), but he wasn't qualified most likely because he had a big year in production in a few games, so the arbitration might give him too much.

Raddysh hasn't produced more.

Robertson is also 22 and 3 years younger than the 2 players you mentioned, there's more upside with him, that is the issue.

I think giving up on Robertson is a mistake, but if they can't make room, not much else to do.

A. Nylander is a former 8th overall pick, so we're talking about pedigree, Nylander comes from higher level stock than Robertson. He wasn't qualified but did manage to score at a 38 goal pace with 11 goals in only 23 games in Columbus. He's out of a job in any case and we could have him for free.

Raddysh has a 20 goal season it the NHL and his 37 points 2 years ago is more points than Robertson has had in his whole career.

Robertson has no leverage. The Leafs could literally sit on his rights and just forget about him. We don't need to make a mistake or give him a chance elsewhere if it doesn't benefit the Maple Leafs in some material way.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The NHL is trending in a more physical direction, I honestly don't see a spot for this guy in the lineup anyway. Bon chance
How does Marner hold a spot then? At least this kid goes into areas where he gets hit. Not sure how much I buy into Chris Johnston's "sources say". I have always thought of him as a Leaf's appendage who leaked only stuff the club wanted shared. Maybe I am wrong. I like Nick a lot in relation to what he might bring back in a trade. Hope this blows over.

Reactions: supermann_98

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Kids are getting a little too uppity these days. Kid finally had a decent season, and he's trying to make demands with no leverage.

He can sign in Europe if he wants. He'll play where he's told, because that's how it's done, and he's not a massive loss. Treliving is not the type who is gonna take his orders from a kid.

If he gets dealt, bet on it with the Sens.

I worked for Steve Staios at the Hamilton Bulldogs during Robertson's OHL draft year when he played for the Toronto Red Wings. He liked him a lot then, knew the family, etc. Young player for young player deal makes sense.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kids are getting a little too uppity these days. Kid finally had a decent season, and he's trying to make demands with no leverage.

He can sign in Europe if he wants. He'll play where he's told, because that's how it's done, and he's not a massive loss. Treliving is not the type who is gonna take his orders from a kid.

I worked for Steve Staios at the Hamilton Bulldogs during Robertson's OHL draft year when he played for the Toronto Red Wings. He liked him a lot then, knew the family, etc. Young player for young player deal makes sense.

Give us pinto lol

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
another player with huge potential

but yeah ship him out the same way we shipped out Kadri, Hyman, etc.. we all know how those moves turned out.. well it's about to happen again

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

It's the way it is when you play for the Leafs, especially as he has seen others get paid. You see your name in multiple news sources, on TV, in this forum etc. You play in most cities and you may see your name once a month in a sports article so you don't feel as entitled and this isn't a knock on Robertson specifically, it goes for all players who play here.

I will be honest, I've just never understood how a player can't work on their deficiencies to become a more dominant player. He has speed and a decent shot. My parents didn't have the money to put me in serious hockey camps, I would have loved to play in the NHL. What Canadian kid wouldn't? These guys are in the show and they can't adapt to make the next big step?

He is about the same size as a Marchand. He has more speed and he is much younger. That's the player I would try to be more like if I were him, not entirely of course because that's not natural, but more like.

This should be the player he watches video clips of and emulates his style of play. You get into the dirtier areas, play two ways and muck it up a bit. You add 10-15 points a year, become a key player that teams want and increase you salary exponentially.

You are in the big dance. This is 95% of the battle. You are in a high profile market in which all scouts, GMs and media cover with vigor. Realize, just like playing a video game, this is a new level and it requires a change in tactics and you will make bank.

There is no reason why ANY player can't just will himself to play a multi-dimensional game. If it was a matter of life and death he would, right?

He have the assets to shift a game with his speed. He has a decent shot. You can't teach natural hockey I.Q but if you really want the big contract you will put in the effort to complete your game be it in the gym, on the ice in the offseason or in the video room. You can improve hockey I.Q if you watch the way others play and see their methods at this level.

The Robertson we see right now is too easy to replace (if Leafs had cap space) but with more tangibles. This is what McMann brings. So, if Leafs try to convince him to stay, it is ALWAYS on him. If he wants out, Leafs will have to oblige. I don't think the market for him in his current incarnation is going to be very large,

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilmour1996

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Robertson was 16th overall in the league at 5v5 goals/60 among any player wirh more than 500 mins played. That's 2nd on the Leafs next to only Matthews.

I'd like to see him given a chance at an increases role. I think he should be getting looks on the #1 pp with his wicked release.

Oct 18, 2010
Robertson was 16th overall in the league at 5v5 goals/60 among any player wirh more than 500 mins played. That's 2nd on the Leafs next to only Matthews.

I'd like to see him given a chance at an increases role. I think he should be getting looks on the #1 pp with his wicked release.

There's more to the game than points. That's why some players can't score when the games matter.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There's more to the game than points. That's why some players can't score when the games matter.

He was on a line with Holmberg and Jarnkrok in the playoffs, what do you expect? Holmberg is young-ish and inexperienced himself and Jarnkrok disappears offensively in the playoffs. If Keefe wanted Nick to score he should've had him with one of the Big Three but Nylander missed the first three games and when he did come back Keefe dropped Robertson onto a line with Kampf and Reaves. Then Matthews was out for two games and it was Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok again for cardio as we grinded out two low-scoring wins. Then when we finally have all three of MNM in the lineup and on separate lines Keefe has the genius idea of taking out one of our few goal-scorers for Gregor because Robertson failed to produce while playing with third line grinders or fourth liners and averaging less than 10 minutes a game.

Is it really a shock that a 22 year old in his first real playoff series didn't thrive or carry the team offensively under these circumstances?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The 35 goals we're losing from Bertuzzi and Robertson is not going to magically replace it self. We need this player or an equivalent replacement in a deal.

It's going to be difficult to replace his expected 20 goals for under 2 million.

If we look at Yegor Chinakhov as a comparable for Robertson then he probably deserves about 2 million per year on a 2 year bridge deal, which seems to work right now on the cap.

The cap shows we have 2 m available for Robertson. Hope they get a deal done.

jkh.png

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2010
He was on a line with Holmberg and Jarnkrok in the playoffs, what do you expect? Holmberg is young-ish and inexperienced himself and Jarnkrok disappears offensively in the playoffs. If Keefe wanted Nick to score he should've had him with one of the Big Three but Nylander missed the first three games and when he did come back Keefe dropped Robertson onto a line with Kampf and Reaves. Then Matthews was out for two games and it was Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok again for cardio as we grinded out two low-scoring wins. Then when we finally have all three of MNM in the lineup and on separate lines Keefe has the genius idea of taking out one of our few goal-scorers for Gregor because Robertson failed to produce while playing with third line grinders or fourth liners and averaging less than 10 minutes a game.

Is it really a shock that a 22 year old in his first real playoff series didn't thrive or carry the team offensively under these circumstances?

The point is not THAT he didn't score. It's WHY he didn't score. It's similar to why the rest of the team can't score. He's physically not capable of competing. He loses too many battles and is a net negative if there's no scoring then he contributes less than nothing.

In fairness to him, the organization has been poorly run for years so hopefully with Berube and Treliving they can turn the corner and actually develop players. And maybe have a gameplan that goes beyond "put player on ice and hope"

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
His problem with injuries is because he's fearless. Compete level isn't a problem wirh Robertson.

He played 6 postseason games, was given 9 mins a night with no pp time. He had 11 shots.

In 7 postseason games, 11 million Marner wqs given 21 mins a night and #1 pp time. He had a total of 12 shots. Let's not get into Marners willingness to compete in dirty areas.

I thought Nick should've been played more myself. Just like I thought Woll should've started in net. Ullmark agreed Woll should've started.

Personally, I wonder how dangerous the PP could be with Tavares, Nylander, Matthews and Robertson on it. Marners weak shot and complete reluctance to shoot I think makes the rest of the linemates less dangerous. Robertsons release could've kept opponents honest.

I have no idea how Keefe makes his decisions.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Maybe it's time for Berube to take Robertson to the coffee shop like he did with Marner and have a long talk with that boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Berube could be the best thing to happen to this guy's career and he wants to bail. Guy with a nose for the next could finally develop into a a 200 ft player.

This request makes him look he just wants to be a one dimensional glass cannon and go score 20-25 /year for a garbage team.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I understand why he wants out. However it's not his call. If he stays healthy this season he has a chance to finally put up some real numbers. Be patient, stay healthy kid. It all falls in your lap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad