Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not a chance. Why piss off Tre when you can probably get him for a song.

Lol GM’s need to get over themselves. It’s in the CBA. And why would it piss off tre? The player doesn’t want to be there and doesn’t want to negotiate with the team. I could def see Robertson’s agent perusing an offer sheet. If another team overpays that’s good more compensation for us, if they don’t pay him that much, that’s good it’s easy for us to match. I actually think an offer sheet is the best case scenario for us.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol GM’s need to get over themselves. It’s in the CBA. And why would it piss off tre? The player doesn’t want to be there and doesn’t want to negotiate with the team. I could def see Robertson’s agent perusing an offer sheet. If another team overpays that’s good more compensation for us, if they don’t pay him that much, that’s good it’s easy for us to match. I actually think an offer sheet is the best case scenario for us.
It is what it is is. In a league where GMs seldom use that card, I can't see one using it on Robertson when it won't take much just to trade for him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
No surprise here. I would personally trade him regardless, we have a ton of wingers on the roster and coming up. Would love to see something like Robertson + Jarnkrok for Colton.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Once a guy does that, he is done. Robertson was on a team loaded at wing and was never going to get top 6 minutes here. I'd trade him for a 2nd rounder and wish him luck.Utah?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Robertson went from top prospect

I don't know why/how he was ever considered a "top prospect"? He was a mid-2nd round pick. Maybe the fact he had a good release + the relative weak depth of the Leafs prospect pool elevated his outlook?

In any case, as someone who's never been a fan I was happy to see him take advantage of his limited opportunities this season. Hopefully he translates that into a chance somewhere else.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Don't blame him, organization (Keefe) has yo-yo'd him around a little too much the last few years. Dude will score 30 in his sleep, I would try to convince him to stay another season since his trade value would be low atm.

Reactions: ToMaLe and aingefan

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Once a guy does that, he is done. Robertson was on a team loaded at wing and was never going to get top 6 minutes here. I'd trade him for a 2nd rounder and wish him luck.Utah?

Certainly puts the target on his back. If he had brains bigger than a flea he would look at the Leafs LW and realize he is maybe the 1st or 2nd LW if the Leafs do nothing for LW at the TDL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner and Robbie for Stankoven and Wyatt. In my dreams. LOL.

He's not dumb. He sees that this team caters to the same 4 forwards and if he is going to have any success, it is not here. Good for him I say.

He is making a power play while he cant even stay healthy. I guess he can try and project strength from a position of weakness at the risk of being completely crushed.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I like him, wish it could have worked out here. He'll go on and have a productive career (I'd imagine) elsewhere. Hopefully he has some decent value. I could see Tre moving him for a more Tre style bottom-six forward.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I like him, wish it could have worked out here. He'll go on and have a productive career (I'd imagine) elsewhere. Hopefully he has some decent value. I could see Tre moving him for a more Tre style bottom-six forward.
If he trades him for a 2nd he has some TD capital to get a good one later.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is really, really disappointing. I'm not sure why now, when he's finally taken a spot and requires waivers. Can't believe this was botched.
I would just refuse to trade him unless we get a great return. We can't be bleeding cheap, young, effective depth.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This organization continues to be so incredible at drafting and developing prospects.

Reactions: egd27

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Robertson went from top prospect to fringe NHL'er pretty quick.

Remember when Robertson said something about not giving a crap what the fans think of him. Well we don't care about him either. Trade this unhappy, injury prone, never lived up to his potential, never will live up to his potential, spoiled rotten whiny malcontent now.

Do us all a favour and trade Marner with him.

The Leafs shouldn't be too fussy about the return in a Robertson trade either. There's all kinds of mediocre hockey players willing to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Replacing Robertson and his whopping fourteen goals last year won't be a problem.

Nobody is gonna miss that sweet sweet shot.

At some point more is expected than just rifling pucks at the oppositions shins. Robertson was given plenty of opportunity to prove himself capable of handling a bigger role on this team and could not. I’m living proof that if you work hard, if you push yourself every day, if you never stop trying or give up, you can STILL be a failure.

Robertson must be feeling the exact same way just now.
“Given plenty of opportunity to prove himself capable of handling a bigger role on this team and could not.”

A kid who has played 87 games, about one season, were his TOI in his best year , this past year, where he avg. 12 min. a night, this you consider to be ‘plenty of opportunity’? Friend, respectfully, I think your standards are a wee bit high.

Reactions: Macallan18

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can’t even count how many games I wondered and screamed at Keefe as to why this guy wasn’t on the PP2. Second best shooter on the team and they trot out weak players. Dumb. Oh well, he’s likely to put up 25/25 or close to wherever he goes, if we can’t convince him to stay.

Reactions: ToMaLe and aingefan

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
If they do end up moving Robertson, what do you guys think about maybe giving Nylander's brother a shot (minimum contract or close to it)? He showed some life in Columbus, might be a decent replacement in the bottom 6?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I sympathize with Robertson. It is clear that Keefe never had faith in him and he should have had more playing time than he got. In fact, this organization in general has leaned too hard on the philosophy that youth need to 'earn' a spot over veteran depth signing (who the coach inevitably favours), IMO. Young players need some runway to figure out their games at the NHL level and guys like Robertson, Steeves, etc. have shown enough at the AHL level to get that chance.

And it is not as if we could not give them that chance either. Our games from October through to the trade deadline are all but meaningless. Having Matthews and co. means we are going to win our fair share of those games, regardless of who is the 3LW. We are going to score our fair share of PP goals regardless of who is the PP's fifth man. We are going to make the playoffs and team chemistry matters most down the stretch, anyways.

All that said, Robby doesn't have much leverage here. Unless we get a decent offer (Robertson++ for McGroarty?), and it is hard to see that happening, I tell him that we expect him to report to camp in September. There is a depth scoring role for him on the team this year and the upside with him is higher than whomever we might sign in FA to replace him.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad