Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
The problem with Robertson over the years is he played like he was Matthew Knies size. Running into traffic, swarming the puck carrier, super aggressive and busy but completely clueless about the stealth game and getting open to use the shot.
Well that's where hopefully a new coach in Berube could help him out in that regard and help him improve his game to become more effective the same way St. Louis helped Caufield. Maybe it works out or maybe it doesn't, but it would've been nice to see if a change in coach wouldn't make a difference for the better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well that's where hopefully a new coach in Berube could help him out in that regard and help him improve his game to become more effective the same way St. Louis helped Caufield. Maybe it works out or maybe it doesn't, but it would've been nice to see if a change in coach wouldn't make a difference for the better.

Well that’s why I’m not impressed with a kid who has proven nothing and would rather walk away than work with a Stanley Cup winning coach who developed other OHL stars like Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou from Robertson’s era in that league.

But truth be told I’ve never been overly impressed by Robertson.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
If they can get something of equal or better value for him, and it benefits the team, great. If they can't, he can sit on his ass without a contract.

The team needs to stop bending over for individual players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they can get something of equal or better value for him, and it benefits the team, great. If they can't, he can sit on his ass without a contract.

The team needs to stop bending over for individual players.

Especially unestablished, mediocre young players with no leverage. I was frankly shocked to hear all the grievances from the Rasmus Sandin camp last year.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Well that’s why I’m not impressed with a kid who has proven nothing and would rather walk away than work with a Stanley Cup winning coach who developed other OHL stars like Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou from Robertson’s era in that league.

But truth be told I’ve never been overly impressed by Robertson.
Well that's his decision and who knows maybe like DeBrusk he still ends up sticking around for a season if not longer despite requesting a trade. I personally would like to see what he could do given more ice time and a bigger role with a different coach before giving up on him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well that's his decision and who knows maybe like DeBrusk he still ends up sticking around for a season if not longer despite requesting a trade. I personally would like to see what he could do given more ice time and a bigger role with a different coach before giving up on him.

Well, the issue I have is he's big timing Toronto by saying he's not interested in signing an extension all the while having zero leverage and a very unimpressive hockeydb.

I guess the possibility of someone like Dubas tampering is a possibility and there's going to be a dumb offer sheet in the works. Otherwise it just reeks of unearned entitlement.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Well, the issue I have is he's big timing Toronto by saying he's not interested in signing an extension all the while having zero leverage and a very unimpressive hockeydb.

I guess the possibility of someone like Dubas tampering is a possibility and there's going to be a dumb offer sheet in the works. Otherwise it just reeks of unearned entitlement.
If he doesn't want to re-sign because of not getting an opportunity I can understand it. Keefe for whatever reason never gave him much ice time when he was put into games so if he feels he can go elsewhere and get a better opportunity that's understanable.

I guess we'll see what happens. If he is traded I hope we can get something at least half decent for him.

Reactions: aingefan

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I find it amusing that when a player is trying to maximize his development because he doesn't see the chance of it occurring here, there are a number of fans who spit venom at the kid. That said, there's no reason to trade him unless a return is to your liking. He has no leverage. If he wishes to sit the year and weaken his development curve, that's his choice and he'll have to deal with the consequences of his decision. I don't know who Robertson's agent is, but could this be an 'agent' play?

I like the kid's confidence in himself. I think he can be a player, a scorer in a league where that's the most valuable skill, but he's a complimentary line mate, not a line driver.

Apologies to whomever it was who suggested Utah as a destination, I think they mentioned either McBain or Bjugstad, but I would happily send NR, Kamph + to Utah for McBain.

Reactions: DarkKnight

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
At this point Leafs will. be lucky to get a 2nd or he might be part of a bigger package. That said, he did score 14 in a limited role. I think he has 20/25 potential.

He is asking at the wrong time. He would likely get a full season to show what he can do. Players have been known to change their minds though.

Reactions: aingefan

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not the best time for Robertson to ask for a trade. Toronto gave him a qualifying offer, if he declines it, they go to arbitration. Doubt Toronto trades him when his value is low, unless it's for another prospect/young NHLER that wants a change of scenery like him.

It seems like this is the year that Robertson would actually get ice time.

Reactions: arso40

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Not the best time for Robertson to ask for a trade. Toronto gave him a qualifying offer, if he declines it, they go to arbitration. Doubt Toronto trades him when his value is low, unless it's for another prospect/young NHLER that wants a change of scenery like him.

Huh? He has no arb rights, he either signs his QO or can hold out for more money but he has no leverage.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

He doesn't have arbitration rights. He'll have to sit and wait for a trade, an offer sheet, or whine some more and go overseas.

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for Robertson getting sent down for cap reasons but the Leafs should not trade him for peanuts just because he asked. More experienced players might be seen as having earned the right to demand a trade but him? Nah.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He doesn't have arbitration rights. He'll have to sit and wait for a trade, an offer sheet, or whine some more and go overseas.

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for Robertson getting sent down for cap reasons but the Leafs should not trade him for peanuts just because he asked. More experienced players might be seen as having earned the right to demand a trade but him? Nah.
Even better. Play over seas or don't play in the NHL at all.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Robertson went from top prospect to fringe NHL'er pretty quick.

Remember when Robertson said something about not giving a crap what the fans think of him. Well we don't care about him either. Trade this unhappy, injury prone, never lived up to his potential, never will live up to his potential, spoiled rotten whiny malcontent now.

Do us all a favour and trade Marner with him.

The Leafs shouldn't be too fussy about the return in a Robertson trade either. There's all kinds of mediocre hockey players willing to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Replacing Robertson and his whopping fourteen goals last year won't be a problem.

Nobody is gonna miss that sweet sweet shot.

At some point more is expected than just rifling pucks at the oppositions shins. Robertson was given plenty of opportunity to prove himself capable of handling a bigger role on this team and could not. I’m living proof that if you work hard, if you push yourself every day, if you never stop trying or give up, you can STILL be a failure.

Robertson must be feeling the exact same way just now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00