Speculation: Nick Paul Ottawa healthy scratch (confirmed by Bruce G)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
The cap has went up since then, so Smith's 3.25M was a bigger chunk of the teams' cap. Plus, didn't his play fall off a cliff? Went from being a good 3rd line C to a bad 4th line C?
Smith was rewarded for a great year as the LW on a line with Mark Stone. But he also was destroyed by injuries and lost any foot speed he had.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That's quite the assumption. Dorion signed a soon to be 29 year old Zack Smith to a 4 year deal at 3.25 per year but couldn't move him later. Took back Artem Anisimov to facilitate a trade. Nick Paul is soon to be 27. While younger, he isn't as good as Zack Smith was imo. They aren't playing chess, they have a limit they are willing to give a role player. I would be sad to see Nick Paul get traded but I also don 't want an overpaid bottom 6 winger.
Every broadcast I've seen in the last week of Ottawa has had people say that the hangup is term and not necessarily money. That he wants 5 years. I can understand why Ottawa might not want to sink that much into him. And in 3 more years, his caphit will look REALLY reasonable, as the Cap is supposed to go up a lot in 2025 when the whole escrow/covid/tv revenue thing finally equalizes.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Could possibly pull a Jarnkrok type return imo. Obviously they're very different styles of player but similar in that they're versatile, defensively sound types who can really play anywhere in your lineup (and are at a cap hit that's pretty easy to fit in)

We shall see, I guess

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Could possibly pull a Jarnkrok type return imo. Obviously they're very different styles of player but similar in that they're versatile, defensively sound types who can really play anywhere in your lineup (and are at a cap hit that's pretty easy to fit in)

We shall see, I guess

Paul isn't really the type that can play anywhere in your lineup.

He's versatile in that he can play left wing or center, but he arguably has the worst vision and playmaking ability of anyone on the Senators, and for that reason he doesn't fit that well with high-skill players on the top 2 lines.

Reactions: Yak

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Every broadcast I've seen in the last week of Ottawa has had people say that the hangup is term and not necessarily money. That he wants 5 years. I can understand why Ottawa might not want to sink that much into him. And in 3 more years, his caphit will look REALLY reasonable, as the Cap is supposed to go up a lot in 2025 when the whole escrow/covid/tv revenue thing finally equalizes.

That's not what's been reported in Ottawa.

I don't think the team is in a spot where they need to give 3+ million to a a role player. There's so many upcoming contracts. Even at 2.5 million for 4 years, I'm not sold, too much term. I'd rather focus on a player like Connor Brown who is capable of playing an important role now and the near future.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Here's a quote from Bruce Garrioch, who may as well be on the Senators payroll...

The decision to move Paul is one the club doesn’t take lightly, but you can’t negotiate deals by giving a player whatever they want. The organization felt $2.5 million per season was its ceiling in this negotiation and there’s a strong belief that Paul thinks he’ll get $3.25 million per year on the open market.

Reactions: golffuul

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Paul isn't really the type that can play anywhere in your lineup.

He's versatile in that he can play left wing or center, but he arguably has the worst vision and playmaking ability of anyone on the Senators, and for that reason he doesn't fit that well with high-skill players on the top 2 lines.

Maybe he doesn't have much vision, but every time I see the Senators this guy looks like a 25 goal scorer.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
3M is quite frankly too much for a 3rd/4th liner. Imagine having your 3rd line taking up 10 mill or so, especially on a currently bottom feeding team.

In 2022 3 mill ain’t a bad price tag for a 3rd liner.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The cap has went up since then, so Smith's 3.25M was a bigger chunk of the teams' cap. Plus, didn't his play fall off a cliff? Went from being a good 3rd line C to a bad 4th line C?
Zack Smith was coming off of a 25 goal season when he signed his deal. On the other hand, Nick Paul has yet to score 25pts in his career....Smith had two 30pt seasons after he signed too, so it wasnt a complete fail on his/the Sens part.

And with all due respect to Nick Paul - who I absolutely love as a bottom 6 grinder - Zack Smith was by comparison a physical BEAST. Smith hit harder, more often, was meaner and could bully anyone that wasnt a heavy weight (and did on many occasions). And could fight well when needed.

Paul still leaves something to be desired on some nights, and isnt as physical as he should be for his size, strength and role on the team. So then he should technically be more offensively talented than was Smith if he wants a comparable contract - and the stats say that hes really not in reality.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If he’s not traded by a hour before the deadline, Sakic should offer his 2022 3rd. Last second deal if he hasn’t been moved by then.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad