Nick Paul Center or Curtis Lazar Center?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I see quite a few people penciling Lazar is as a center and Paul a LW. Why is that?

I find Lazar to be a speedy player that finishes and his skill set is better for the wing. Hes not really a creator unless its on the rush

Paul more seems like a big body who can create in the offensive zone and was voted the OHL's top face off man

To me Lazar has a higher ceiling on the wing then at center. Paul i think has relatively the same ceiling on the wing as at center but he can impact the game using his defensive prowess more at center then wing

So would you rather have Lazar at C or Paul at center? Hypothetically they play together next year in bingo.

Also i found this scouting report on Lazar by HF.

Will work his way onto a pro roster. A battler, power forward in the mold of a Milan Lucic. Very good offensive skills. Leadership skills in spades.

Last edited:

BigBush*

Paul without a doubt. From what I've seen hes a more natural center, where Lazars game translates to the wing better. Plus size down the middle goes a long way.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
After losing Spezza this team needs a player who has the face off ability to dominate amongst peer like Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Ott... etc. Paul is actually a need right now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Where is the option for both at centre? IF BM is able to acquire another top 6 forward I would guess he would replace Puempel/Prince on the roster & likely push one of MacArthur or Hoffman down to the 3rd line.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Prince/Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson
Michalek - Paul - Robinson/Neil

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Where is the option for both at centre? IF BM is able to acquire another top 6 forward I would guess he would replace Puempel/Prince on the roster & likely push one of MacArthur or Hoffman down to the 3rd line.

Prince/Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson
Michalek - Paul - Robinson/Neil

This is for if they play together in bingo next year. What would you rather see

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
It will be interesting to see Paul play with pros. The few times I saw him play with the Battalion it seemed like he'd make great individual efforts, but he'd try to do too much on his own or the play would die the second he passed off the puck. I think he's one of those players that would thrive in a more structured league.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Paul -> best face off man + defensive forward in the OHL

Kid could develop into one of the better 3rd line shutdown forwards in the league in the Couturier mold.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Prince - Pageau - Lazar

Puempel - Paul - Chiasson

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I am really, really, really, hoping Paul is one of those guys who busts out as a pro and is something special at this level. I know it sounds greedy after Hoffman and Stone, but Hoff was 25 and Stone did his AHL time (a nice surprise from a late pick but we were always in on the secret so that didn't surprise many of us that he could play).

If Lazar can keep developing he could be our Dustin Brown and if Paul could be the power forward... man, that could be something special. Hoffman can be our sniper ala Sharp, Pageau our pesky small man, Stone our star, Turris our talent, Mac our heart... I'd like to keep Condra b/c he would be our conscience. But you can understand with our roster how it feels possible, it feels like it could come together with a little bit of luck and magic.

Still holding out hope for Prince and Puempel but they're more known commodities now - Paul is the lottery ticket in my pocket and I don't want to check it just yet because as long as I don't know I can walk around thinking maybe, just maybe, I won big.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Try them both, see who works out better. Could possibly end up being a 1A & 1B situation between the two of them for a while.

BigBush*

I'm really high on Paul. I value him the same as Lazar. Really think he's gonna be our 3rd line center sooner then later. Maybe I'm overrating him though

BigBush*

If he turns out well I would be extremely happy with Turris-zib-pageau-Paul for the next ten years.

I have a feeling Paul will be pass Pageau in the depth charts in the near future

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I remember Parise's rookie season when he played a bunch of center and people said pouliot was going to be better
Like Lazar Parise just didnt have the apitude to play center but he excelled on the wing.

I think Lazar will be a similar player but obviously have worse totals throughout his career

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Lazar has more slightly better offensive tools and higher offensive upside, but I think either could play C or W.

In the end, having the flexibility to have them play both is probably important, as NHL players often do jump back and forth, where top teams have 5 or 6 centers every night. No better example than watching Stamkos slip to the wing to help Filpulla be more effective.

I can see both of these guys playing both wing and center as NHLers, although if either wants to be in the top 6, they are more likely to be on the wing. Neither is an elite play maker and is more shoot first, so unless they have a dynamic play maker on the wing, they are more likely to be a winger if they land in the top 6.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Exciting year prospect-wise next year (and NHL team wise)

Paul, Lindberg, Wikstrand... Lazar, Puempel with more experience (Prince too if he isn't traded)

BigBush*

i dont think it's greedy - after all, we essentially traded spezza for him

Don't forget about the 41st pick as well. And I'm pretty sure there was another one or two scrubs involved in the deal.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Don't forget about the 41st pick as well. And I'm pretty sure there was another one or two scrubs involved in the deal.

A guy who's 23 and just finished sucking in bingo. Not worst mentioning. Him and ludwig karlsson cancel eachother out

Kramer is almost as productive and kramer is a goon

BigBush*

A guy who's 23 and just finished sucking in bingo. Not worst mentioning. Him and ludwig karlsson cancel eachother out

Kramer is almost as productive and kramer is a goon

I was being sarcastic and alluding to the fact that Chiasson was also part of the deal.

Kind of funny that he said we essentially traded Spezza for Paul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad