Proposal: Nichushkin...if contract termination isn't an option

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I can't see contract termination 'not' being an option. By his actions he caused the situation he's in. I'm sure that there's language in the contract that will give the Avs an 'out' to cut ties with him.

But to play along...the first offer of a 5-7th rounder that Colorado receives.

(Edit: Should have added that the termination would only happen once he's out of the player assistance program. There are good & logical reasons why the CBA won't allow adverse actions against anyone in the program)

Last edited:

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Any news on what exactly happened…he skated the morning skate, then…boom.. done before the game that same night

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why wouldn’t the Avs be allowed to terminate his contract? He broke the league’s code of conduct rules!

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I can't see contract termination 'not' being an option. By his actions he caused the situation he's in. I'm sure that there's language in the contract that will give the Avs an 'out' to cut ties with him.

I can. Since he’s in player assistance there’s no way they are going to be able to “terminate” the rest of the contract without having to pay out all (or at least most if there’s a settlement) of the money and take it as dead cap. They’re better off just letting him come back. If he violates again it’s stage 4, and then they can argue for non-reinstatement and some permanent relief.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
nobody should want this player he can't be trusted and he doesn't give a f*** he just doesn't care

Bond

May 10, 2012
I can. Since he’s in player assistance there’s no way they are going to be able to “terminate” the rest of the contract without having to pay out all (or at least most if there’s a settlement) of the money and take it as dead cap. They’re better off just letting him come back. If he violates again it’s stage 4, and then they can argue for non-reinstatement and some permanent relief.
The Avs will just need to take some lessons from the Kings

• Haha
Reactions: kevistar

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't see any value. Maybe something similar to Vrana (a future 7th for the player at 50% retained) but I have my doubts he even fetches that much.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
You got 100% on this one and we can add this.
Colorado will make 2025 playoff with or without him.
they just have to wait until End December to mid February and he will be cut again.
It will left a lot of cap space for Colorado to add depth or key players at the deadline

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

There is a collectively bargained process to discipline people in his situation - there's zero chance a contract termination holds up.

Looking it up - a buyout isn't crippling for the Avs. If they want out of it that's probably the way.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a Pens fan, I would offer the Avs a mid-round pick or depth roster player who might help them now if contract termination isn't an option.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Isn't vrana in the AHL because of this exact reason? Dudes gonna be looked at extremely close going forward by the NHL does any team really want that extra baggage?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not how it works. Thr player assistance program is not meant to take accoutability away from the player. Hes already suspended without pay.

There is a collectively bargained process to discipline people in his situation - there's zero chance a contract termination holds up.

Looking it up - a buyout isn't crippling for the Avs. If they want out of it that's probably the way.
Tell that to Mike Richards. Buy outs are not used for situations like this because theres a material breach od contract. Theres gonna be a settement though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not how it works. Thr player assistance program is not meant to take accoutability away from the player. Hes already suspended without pay.

Tell that to Mike Richards. Buy outs are not used for situations like this because theres a material breach od contract. Theres gonna be a settement though.
The Richards situation was very different.

I know you're hoping hoping hoping but unless it's mutual, termination ain't happening.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Richards was smuggling drugs across a border and LA got punished for attempting to terminate. They still have five more years of cap penalties after this year.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

Being in the player assistance program is, by definition, not a breach of contract. They might have a case if he uses up all of the strikes in the program, but as it is now they will lose when he sues to get all of his money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad