Nice ******* outing!!! Again!! *Honk honk* (Habs lose big) - MOD reminder post #329

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
LOL to some people saying Price needs to be better. No goalie in this league (on most nights) is going to stop a deflected shot 5 cm away from him by Jonathan Toews. How about that brutal coverage on Kane on that 4th goal? Or freaking Bourque taking his own goalie out of the play on the 5th goal? Price has to have a shutout every game to win. He has the worst goal support in the league.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Loss 7-1 TB, 6-2 Calgary, 3-0 Edmonton, 5-0 Chicago, 3-2 Vancouver. 5 goals in 5 losses. Anyone who says Price has to be better should think about that. He literally has to pitch a shutout in every loss on average to win.

We were on pace for 12-13 blowouts this year before last night's game...
That included the worst one of all the NYR ECF WTF did you expect game.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
This team desperately needs a #3 dman (no I'm not talking about Gorges) but every time Tinordi gets into a groove they sit his ass in the press box.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
LOL to some people saying Price needs to be better. No goalie in this league (on most nights) is going to stop a deflected shot 5 cm away from him by Jonathan Toews. How about that brutal coverage on Kane on that 4th goal? Or freaking Bourque taking his own goalie out of the play on the 5th goal? Price has to have a shutout every game to win. He has the worst goal support in the league.

Price is a NHL player. But not only that, he is suppose to be top 3 goalie. A top 3 goalie does not have the same standards than the rest of the goalies. Price isn't at a level of NOT giving bad goals. He's at a level of SAVING our ass numerous times. This is what separate great goalies from good goalies.

Having said all of that, in the scale of where to look and what to address to improve this team, Price comes.....LAST. Everything else needs to be fix BEFORE Price needs fixing. But it doesn't mean that he also doesn't need to play better.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This team desperately needs a #3 dman (no I'm not talking about Gorges) but every time Tinordi gets into a groove they sit his ass in the press box.

This, on top of everything else, infuriates me. The day that Sekac AND Tinordi started to have that confidence and played better and settle in...they are sit down. Just wow coaching.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price is a NHL player. But not only that, he is suppose to be top 3 goalie. A top 3 goalie does not have the same standards than the rest of the goalies. Price isn't at a level of NOT giving bad goals. He's at a level of SAVING our ass numerous times. This is what separate great goalies from good goalies.

Having said all of that, in the scale of where to look and what to address to improve this team, Price comes.....LAST. Everything else needs to be fix BEFORE Price needs fixing. But it doesn't mean that he also doesn't need to play better.
No goalie is going to save you when you're outshot 19-4. It's just not going to happen.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
No goalie is going to save you when you're outshot 19-4. It's just not going to happen.

Well it can't happen every single game. But yes, it can and will happen in some games. Again....not even talking about yesterday, just talking in general. We scored 0. Hard to win even if Price makes 100 saves. Though, maybe that's what we're asking of him and want to finish all of our games where it hurt the less....in shootouts.

Ihatekessel

Feb 24, 2014
Thunder Bay
The way I see it.......

It appears Therrien has lost the room........Why?.........Lack of effort.....lack of discipline........Weise playing on (cough, cough) 1st line........no accountability for Pac/DD while others are held to a higher standard........The Tinordi/Beaulieu shuffle......Cakes sittin in press box while others(Bork,Prust) struggle etc. etc.

IMO, Therriens style of coaching has worn on this team...........IMO....he needs to go.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
People really still defend this team by saying record is 8-4-1 ??

honestly????

11 ****in times in 13 games giving up the first goal
0 times have they held a lead after a period of play 0!!!!!!!!
1, maybe 2 games they actually played good

ppl need to stop with this 8-4-1 thing, like big time
Please don't be shocked. I think pp are just sarcastic :sarcasm:
We all know that Habs is much worse than the stats. It should be 4-8-1.

I think only a few pp that don't follow the games are satisfied with the actual stats 8-4-1.

Oct 22, 2012
Quote from Kane pretty much nailed it on the head.

"You can say that your best defense is a good offense when you are controlling the puck and have good puck possession(lolk), so, it was a good game for that"

Pow, right in the kisser!

...I don't want to get used to this again. Therrien gotta go. The same trends were happening with the Penguins. While we have the chance to take over a weak eastern conference, I think bringing in a new coach now will give us enough time to do that before trade deadline.

But we all know that won't happen, and waste those comeback wins.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well it can't happen every single game. But yes, it can and will happen in some games. Again....not even talking about yesterday, just talking in general. We scored 0. Hard to win even if Price makes 100 saves. Though, maybe that's what we're asking of him and want to finish all of our games where it hurt the less....in shootouts.
The first three or four games (when we were actually winning) I thought he looked average. Not bad but not great. But I have zero problems with how he's playing now.

His numbers now suck though after these blowouts so folks (not you) give us the o'l Darren Dreger that he needs to play better. Sorry, but I don't think any goalie can save us from the fiascos that we've seen. We've been outplayed almost all year long and now we're getting absolutely smoked. If a goalie makes three highlight reel saves and you still get crushed, there's something wrong.

And the worst part is that some of these have been completely meaningless goals. He should've been pulled the other night, should've been pulled last night... That's how you ruin a goalie. And we can hardly afford to do that because right now he's the only thing going for us.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't think it's time to panic...not even close...but I want to see more effort against Buffalo unlike the Calgary game.

Last night wasn't a lack of effort, they actually outworked and outplayed Chicago the early part and couldn't buy a goal, then got rattled at 2-0 and guys started playing an individual instead of a team game. It also didn't help that Chicago scored 2-3 fluky goals...

Goal #2 was fluky, but while one may acknowledge the weird happenings leading to the fifth goal, it was at a point where it did not really matter as far as I am concerned. Goals 1 and 3 were instances of Toews and Richards getting to the net unopposed, while goal #4 required a better backchecking effort to stop Kane on a beautiful play by their two franchise forwards.

And the Habs did not deserve any better. Again. Outside of the Canucks game which I thought was a reffing fiasco, Montreal has looked like Richard Simmons' buttocks since the start of the western road trip, and once you start counting the three shootout wins and generally uninspired play thus far from almost everyone on the team, from Desharnais down to Gilbert, I do worry about the long term prognostications of this outfit.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
even when we were winning i told everyone that our d sucks, were lacking a solid top 4 defensive RHD. you cant be a serious contender in this league without a stud #3 D. thankfully theres gonna be a few of them on the market this season.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
After last night's loss, SportsClubStats.com has us at below 40% chance of making the playoffs. :laugh:

Way too early for that kind of prediction, of course. But it's pretty clear that our current play doesn't project really well. We're 24th in the league for goal differential. 23rd for GF/GA at 5 on 5. Ouch

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This, on top of everything else, infuriates me. The day that Sekac AND Tinordi started to have that confidence and played better and settle in...they are sit down. Just wow coaching.

And now Tinordi will probably be in the same situation Beaulieu is in; trying to get his groove back after missing a handful of games. I have never seen a coaching staff blunder rookie development so ridiculously. Pick one of them, send the other back to Hamilton and call up Drewiske. Conversely, play one of them on their off side and bench Weaver to make room.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So price has been perfect. Got you.

Price is nowhere near the problem but some people refuse to ever be critical of his play. Ever. The guy isn't going to be great every game.

People aren't criticising Price's game because it is so far down the list of problems, it's damn near irrelevant. Has Price been flawless? No, he's had some hiccups here and there, but frankly, who cares when this team is getting routinely outplayed in nearly every other facet of the game.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
People aren't criticising Price's game because it is so far down the list of problems, it's damn near irrelevant. Has Price been flawless? No, he's had some hiccups here and there, but frankly, who cares when this team is getting routinely outplayed in nearly every other facet of the game.

Really can't criticize the goaltender when the PP is equilvent to playing a fourth line 5 on 5.

What do people expect Price to do exactly? Stop every puck, dump it out, chase after it, score and if not skate all the way back to his net to make another save?

The first 3 games were not his best, but since then he's shown up.

It pretty evident that majority of the team want Meathead gone.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Price doesn't need improving. Put a good structured team in front of him and he won't have to make highlight reel saves multiple times a game.
Therrien needs to right this ship pretty fast, because everyone not named Price is playing like crap.
Therrien had a perfectly good roster lined up, for no particular reason, he switched every line up. The guy is a twit.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
And now Tinordi will probably be in the same situation Beaulieu is in; trying to get his groove back after missing a handful of games. I have never seen a coaching staff blunder rookie development so ridiculously. Pick one of them, send the other back to Hamilton and call up Drewiske. Conversely, play one of them on their off side and bench Weaver to make room.
The use of Weaver so far this year is maddening. He's a good guy. Does his job. But he's 36 years old for pete's sake; he's not a part of this team's future. I'd be surprised if he's even back next year. There's no frigging need to play him every night. Right from the start of this season, the plan should have been to get both Tinordi & Beaulieu at least 50+ games, and easing Weaver out of the lineup as they gained confidence and developed their games.

But no, Therrien loves his vets. Weaver's taken the place of Bouillon as his pet player on the blue line. I almost hate to say it, but if Therrien stays, Weaver may have to go. As I read in another thread this morning, Bergevin may have to start playing "Moneyball" with Therrien and taking some of his inferior options off the table, so that Therrien plays this team in the way it was designed.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The way I see it.......

It appears Therrien has lost the room........Why?.........Lack of effort.....lack of discipline........Weise playing on (cough, cough) 1st line........no accountability for Pac/DD while others are held to a higher standard........The Tinordi/Beaulieu shuffle......Cakes sittin in press box while others(Bork,Prust) struggle etc. etc.

IMO, Therriens style of coaching has worn on this team...........IMO....he needs to go.

Sure seems that way. If it was different players or a line struggling at times you could pass it off has these players being in a little slump, but when the entire team looks like crap there's something else going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad