Niagara Icedogs 2024-25 Season, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Did anyone catch the game? I see the score sheet was dominated by newcomers. Wassilyn, Loshko, and Brauti (2).

I'm going to try and get to the game in Niagara tomorrow. Curious to see all the new faces.

The team still has a couple decisions to make for the season. If Bryant will be healthy soon, and Loshko stays, an OA has to go, and I think Flores makes the most sense.

They also have 1 too many forwards, and you need to let Crete develop by playing all season in the OHL. I think he will play a big role in next years team (I laugh as I type all this, acting as if twenty trades wont happen between now and then).

• Haha
Reactions: Bra Wavers

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Did anyone catch the game? I see the score sheet was dominated by newcomers. Wassilyn, Loshko, and Brauti (2).

I'm going to try and get to the game in Niagara tomorrow. Curious to see all the new faces.

The team still has a couple decisions to make for the season. If Bryant will be healthy soon, and Loshko stays, an OA has to go, and I think Flores makes the most sense.

They also have 1 too many forwards, and you need to let Crete develop by playing all season in the OHL. I think he will play a big role in next years team (I laugh as I type all this, acting as if twenty trades wont happen between now and then).
I only saw highlights of the IceDogs goals because the game wasn’t shown like the CHL app said it would be. I agree with Flores should be the odd man out IMO I think it’ll end up being Loshko just looking at the lineup from last night I don’t know where everyone plays and who would sit if loshko stayed if you want Crete to play a lot. As for right now you gotta see what his injury is but when he’s healthy the easy move is Dianov out Crete in

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I only saw highlights of the IceDogs goals because the game wasn’t shown like the CHL app said it would be. I agree with Flores should be the odd man out IMO I think it’ll end up being Loshko just looking at the lineup from last night I don’t know where everyone plays and who would sit if loshko stayed if you want Crete to play a lot. As for right now you gotta see what his injury is but when he’s healthy the easy move is Dianov out Crete in
I wonder if Assadourian is the odd man out up front once Bryant is back. I think Bryant and Loshko taking pressure off He and Roobroeck to carry the offense will go a long way to having a decent season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wonder if Assadourian is the odd man out up front once Bryant is back. I think Bryant and Loshko taking pressure off He and Roobroeck to carry the offense will go a long way to having a decent season.

I was thinking the same player might go, but at the deadline. Crete might be ready to contribute then.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
This is not a difficult decision for Ben. Crete was one of the three best IceDog players at camp every scrimmage every shift. When he’s heathy, Max could possibly play as high as 3rd line. Even when Bryant returns, the player(s) who falls to 13 is also not a difficult decision. It’s a no brainer!

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is not a difficult decision for Ben. Crete was one of the three best IceDog players at camp every scrimmage every shift. When he’s heathy, Max could possibly play as high as 3rd line. Even when Bryant returns, the player(s) who falls to 13 is also not a difficult decision. It’s a no brainer!
IMO He, Loshko, Roobroeck, Bryant, Czata, Galiyanov, Levin, Wassilyn and Crete all need to be given top 9 minutes. To me, this also makes Paris expendable.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
IMO He, Loshko, Roobroeck, Bryant, Czata, Galiyanov, Levin, Wassilyn and Crete all need to be given top 9 minutes. To me, this also makes Paris expendable.
If they don’t trade Assadourian (or until Bryant returns), Levin and Paris are both expendable (along with Vermeulen and Dianov). Assadourian was one of those handful of players that stood out in all three black - white scrimmage games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If they don’t trade Assadourian (or until Bryant returns), Levin and Paris are both expendable (along with Vermeulen and Dianov). Assadourian was one of those handful of players that stood out in all three black - white scrimmage games.
Levin is too much of a scorer to lose IMO. I like Vermeulen for his size on the 4th line with Wray

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I believe there is a total of one 6’ right shot forward with 2 years of eligibility on the team That player is more expendable than one or two of the handful of left shot forwards 5’10” or less?

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
He’s played 1C the first two preseason games so I think Ben really likes Assadorian. Loshko will probably help the who’s the odd man out question based on where he plays the lineup had him at 2C yesterday but not sure if he actually played there or if it was a mistake

Reactions: Sam14 and dirty12

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Hf boards has lacked an IceDogs’ presence to circumvent discussions and evaluations of decisions, transactions and trades in isolation and without context.

So here are some IceDog facts…

2022-23

Owner DeDobbalaer told IceDog fans, “this team should never go through a rebuild.” (red flag); appoints himself GM (red flag); hires a failed Jr.B coach (red flag); employs a league low 5 scouts (red flag); immediately begins the revolving door of players (red flag). RESULT: Back to back last place finishes (white flag).

2023-24
DDD announces a proper rebuild around an 07-08 core and another Mem-Cup bid in 26-27. Fans cautiously optimistic. Trades: IceDogs add draft picks and a few 06s (2022 3rd D – Cheynowski; 2022 2nd F - Wray; 2022 4th D - Virgilio) to potentially become 06-OAs in 26-27. Allowing them to bank draft capital to spend on a couple of NHL drafted players like a Barlow, Rehkopf, Andonovski, Bertucci - type player in 26-27. Right move…smart move.

2024 PRIORITY DRAFT
The 2008s: IceDogs both benefitted (Braidy Wassilyn) and hindered by their in-bed relationship with player agent John Walters. Regardless, they came away with two key pieces for the 07-08 rebuild (Wassilyn and Crete). GM Wes Consorti, “the 2008s are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class and we’re excited to see their development this season”.

2024 AUGUST 18
The 07-08s 26-27 MEM-CUP D CORE has potentially TWO 06-OAs Cheynowski and Virgilio (2nd Pairing); ONE 07 Frolov (1st Pairing); ONE 08 Frasca (ceiling 3rd pairing) AND to be serious contenders ONE 1st pairing 07 NHL Drafted D required (cost of ONE…e.g., Bertucci 3x2rd, 3x3rds). IceDogs are heading in the right direction.

2024 AUGUST 19
“the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”. Wait! WTF! 07 Frolov + 2nd, 3rd, 3rd out and 06 Brauti in. The roster construct problems 2026-2027: D CORE: IceDogs potentially THREE 06-OAs (NEED 2); ZERO 07s; ONE 08 D (third pairing) AND to be serious contenders at least TWO 07s NHL drafted (cost of Bertucci x 2 - 6x2nd, 6x3rd); a cost they can’t afford.

2024 AUGUST 20
OHL championship teams are built around a long range plan; strategic demographic planning; astute trades; shrewd management of draft picks (e.g., pushing draft picks forward); ability to recruit high-end talent and success at the OHL Priority Draft. Instead, DeDobbalaer recklessly disposes of young players and high draft picks, simply to fulfill … “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsportsfan

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Hf boards has lacked an IceDogs’ presence to circumvent discussions and evaluations of decisions, transactions and trades in isolation and without context.

So here are some IceDog facts…

2022-23

Owner DeDobbalaer told IceDog fans, “this team should never go through a rebuild.” (red flag); appoints himself GM (red flag); hires a failed Jr.B coach (red flag); employs a league low 5 scouts (red flag); immediately begins the revolving door of players (red flag). RESULT: Back to back last place finishes (white flag).

2023-24
DDD announces a proper rebuild around an 07-08 core and another Mem-Cup bid in 26-27. Fans cautiously optimistic. Trades: IceDogs add draft picks and a few 06s (2022 3rd D – Cheynowski; 2022 2nd F - Wray; 2022 4th D - Virgilio) to potentially become 06-OAs in 26-27. Allowing them to bank draft capital to spend on a couple of NHL drafted players like a Barlow, Rehkopf, Andonovski, Bertucci - type player in 26-27. Right move…smart move.

2024 PRIORITY DRAFT
The 2008s: IceDogs both benefitted (Braidy Wassilyn) and hindered by their in-bed relationship with player agent John Walters. Regardless, they came away with two key pieces for the 07-08 rebuild (Wassilyn and Crete). GM Wes Consorti, “the 2008s are a nice complement to our outstanding 2007 draft class and we’re excited to see their development this season”.

2024 AUGUST 18
The 07-08s 26-27 MEM-CUP D CORE has potentially TWO 06-OAs Cheynowski and Virgilio (2nd Pairing); ONE 07 Frolov (1st Pairing); ONE 08 Frasca (ceiling 3rd pairing) AND to be serious contenders ONE 1st pairing 07 NHL Drafted D required (cost of ONE…e.g., Bertucci 3x2rd, 3x3rds). IceDogs are heading in the right direction.

2024 AUGUST 19
“the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”. Wait! WTF! 07 Frolov + 2nd, 3rd, 3rd out and 06 Brauti in. The roster construct problems 2026-2027: D CORE: IceDogs potentially THREE 06-OAs (NEED 2); ZERO 07s; ONE 08 D (third pairing) AND to be serious contenders at least TWO 07s NHL drafted (cost of Bertucci x 2 - 6x2nd, 6x3rd); a cost they can’t afford.

2024 AUGUST 20
OHL championship teams are built around a long range plan; strategic demographic planning; astute trades; shrewd management of draft picks (e.g., pushing draft picks forward); ability to recruit high-end talent and success at the OHL Priority Draft. Instead, DeDobbalaer recklessly disposes of young players and high draft picks, simply to fulfill … “the mandate right now is to make sure we make the playoffs”.

So what are you trying to accomplish with the post? Other than to hijack this forum for your own personal complaining. People are here posting constructive discussions and you come here to rag about the owner. We all get it. He's made bad decisions and trades. Get over it. You can't change anything. He's here to stay. The team looks better. People are optimistic. Try to be constructive

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
So what are you trying to accomplish with the post?
For many years, Hf boards has lacked any kind of IceDogs’ presence; often comments regarding the IceDogs were primarily from various OHL fans, along with a couple of IceDog fans. Respectfully, the intent was to provide information regarding the franchise (perhaps unknown to some) to allow IceDog fans (and OHL fans) the opportunity to discuss and evaluate decisions (on and off ice), transactions and trades NOT in isolation and without context. With some factual background information, it creates more constructive and meaningful discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsportsfan

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
He's here to stay.
Honestly, I’m not convinced of that. As of June 17, STH numbers were 1182. That represents approximately 40% of the number of STHs prior the new owner purchasing the team. There is considerable concern in the office regarding attendance.

Reactions: IceDogFan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Honestly, I’m not convinced of that. As of June 17, STH numbers were 1182. That represents approximately 40% of the number of STHs prior the new owner purchasing the team. There is considerable concern in the office regarding attendance.
Sam I think you have to be the most unhappy fan in the OHL. Your owner is going through the same thing that the current ownership in Kingston went through. It is growing pains. As Frotns fans will tell you I was no fan of the team under Mavety and Gilmour. But the owner bought their kool aid.

Niagara is nothing like Kingston in a good way.

There have been many off-ice issues with your team, but the on-ice product this year is what matters. No one on this board is predicting an M Cup for Niagara; what they are talking about is the quality of the on-ice product. As far as STH, they are nice, but the off-ice issues have hurt.

Niagara started with a great nucleus and rookie owners who did not have a clue. Once those players left, the off-ice problems started.

If you really care about the product, the best thing you can do is let the ON ICE product shine and support it.

Give up on your vendetta or hate campaign about ownership.

You are only frustrating the rest of the people here and not necessarily making any friends.

Those of us that do not ive in the Niagara region still know what the history is probably better than you in some cases because we followed the Miss team

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Sam I think you have to be the most unhappy fan in the OHL. Your owner is going through the same thing that the current ownership in Kingston went through. It is growing pains. As Frotns fans will tell you I was no fan of the team under Mavety and Gilmour. But the owner bought their kool aid.

Niagara is nothing like Kingston in a good way.

There have been many off-ice issues with your team, but the on-ice product this year is what matters. No one on this board is predicting an M Cup for Niagara; what they are talking about is the quality of the on-ice product. As far as STH, they are nice, but the off-ice issues have hurt.

Niagara started with a great nucleus and rookie owners who did not have a clue. Once those players left, the off-ice problems started.

If you really care about the product, the best thing you can do is let the ON ICE product shine and support it.

Give up on your vendetta or hate campaign about ownership.

You are only frustrating the rest of the people here and not necessarily making any friends.

Those of us that do not ive in the Niagara region still know what the history is probably better than you in some cases because we followed the Miss team
I agree and disagree with you on this one I agree people need to give it up and move on when it comes to taking about the owner cause even though I’m with most people and want him gone he’s not going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately where I disagree somewhat and I hope I’m wrong is the growing pains part based on his track record in Jr.B he might not get any better at this

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I believe there is a total of one 6’ right shot forward with 2 years of eligibility on the team That player is more expendable than one or two of the handful of left shot forwards 5’10” or less?
If we are thinking the same player, he was, not surprisingly, released after training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad