NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Ya, if I had to make a prediction I would guess the next deal includes Rogers, Bell, and a third party (I guess given recent news Amazon would seem to have interest), and combined the the NHL will get a bump... It very obviously won't be the 250% or whatever increase the league got last time, but it will be something. I'm basing this on not much than vibes though, so...

As I type this one thing that did pop into my head... Last time the Canadian rights were being hammered out there seemed to be a decent chance of an additional team, or even two, showing up in Canada. Additional teams means additional content... I wonder if there was any speculation going on along those lines that helped to goose up what the various bidders, and ultimately Rogers, was willing to pay? A decade or so later, and it would appear that if anything, the Canadian market is going to be marginalized in the coming years, I wonder if that will have an impact? :dunno:

There was also the PPM change in 2009 that preceded the deal. Not at all the same thing as OOH but the same type of "boost" to sports viewership we've had in the U.S. the last 3-4 years happened in Canada then.

So over the next 4 years post-measurement change, CBC was getting to set new records and put out releases hyping up viewership. Including the really big numbers like the aforementioned 2011 SCF, or like the 2013 Leafs-Bruins series that CBC got to put out press releases saying was the "most watched first round series in CBC history" which happened just a half-year before Rogers & NHL signed their deal.

Obviously good to have good #'s before the new rights deal. i.e. this years Leafs-Bruins helps, an all-Canadian second round matchup of Canucks-Oilers should/will help, etc..

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-Stanley Cup Playoffs viewership last night-

ESPN Hurricanes-Rangers: 1.930M

Waiting on Avs-Stars, was on 3 different channels last night for various periods (ESPNU, espn2, ESPN) ...

So far have 235k for the 78 min it was on espn2 (it was on ESPNU during that time, as well.)

ESPN Avalanche-Stars: 1.136M
ESPNU portion did 72k
espn2 did previously mentioned 235k

ESPN NHL Draft Lottery: 453k

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

ESPN Hurricanes-Rangers: 1.930M

Waiting on Avs-Stars, was on 3 different channels last night for various periods (ESPNU, espn2, ESPN) ...

So far have 235k for the 78 min it was on espn2 (it was on ESPNU during that time, as well.)

This is the most accurate numbers for the game. I'll still say pretty decent but without the OT in the NYR - CAR game this west game would've been on 1.1M/1.2M all time.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

This would be quite intresting.. By the way do we have any all canadian matchup on record on us broadcast tv?

Reaser

May 19, 2021

Rangers-Hurricanes:
-on TNT: 1.492M
--on truTV: 254k (OT didn't air on truTV)

If you combine the #'s you get 1.746M, obviously.But since they had different runtimes, the avg viewership across both would be 1.721M, according to my calculations.

Still waiting on Avs-Stars #'s

Last edited:

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Shifting to the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, Rangers-Hurricanes Game 3 averaged a combined 1.75 million across TNT (1.49M) and truTV (254K), up 20% from Panthers-Maple Leafs last year (1.46M). Avalanche-Stars led out with 1.24 million (TNT: 862K; truTV: 377K), down 9% from Kraken-Stars a year ago (1.36M).

Reactions: Reaser

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Shifting to the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, Rangers-Hurricanes Game 3 averaged a combined 1.75 million across TNT (1.49M) and truTV (254K), up 20% from Panthers-Maple Leafs last year (1.46M). Avalanche-Stars led out with 1.24 million (TNT: 862K; truTV: 377K), down 9% from Kraken-Stars a year ago (1.36M).

It doesn't matter for the final average that NHL PR, ESPN PR, TNT Sports U.S. PR, etc., will put out, since they'll just combine all viewership and divide by runtime of the games.

But for the individual games we're getting inaccurate numbers with simulcasts that don't simulcast complete games. i.e. Rangers-Canes didn't "average" a combined 1.75M (it was 1.721M) and Avs-Stars didn't average a combined 1.24M.

Not a big deal since it's all counted in the end but makes me think about scenarios where a single-game 'record' could be set and if the lazy "add the two #'s together" would be standard or if in that case they'd do a true individual game average viewership?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad