NHL To Grandfather In Visors

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
My take, grandfathering it in was a way to get it in without having to risk a vote. It may have even passed, I'd say the majority are now visor wearers.

It's funny how easily guys put one when they play in the Olympics or in international play.

No regulations on size and shape either, which is another plus. There are more than few NHLer's who were a trimmed down version.

I would have to agree that the majority wear a visor currently, but they're not going to tell the guys sitting next to them that they have to wear one. But, they have no problem telling future players they have to.

It's not really a huge deal, but I have to laugh when people try to say that the players are finally smartening up when it comes to visors, when in reality for the current players nothing changes.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Marek and Wyshnski had a goalie guy on yesterday explaining why the shallow nets could really help goal scoring by creating new, harder angles for goalies to cover on passes that come from there.

Within 10 years someone will make a full-face visor that doesn't do anything to hurt a player's line-of-vision while offering full protection and this will be irrelevant.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
That can't be the rationale, can it?

Besides, if you "sit in your net", that should make EASIER to score goals. Not more difficult.

No, they said it was to create more space behind the net, which they did before by moving the goal line.

When I heard about it I thought about all the times I've seen guys with their legs inside the net down in the butterfly hugging the short-side post.

We'll see if it has any affect on scoring. It may because goalies will likely need to alter their positioning.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Eh, have you ever been to a BC/BU game? Or any other college hockey games for that matter? Believe me, the checking and hitting are intense.

Nothing wrong with a hard hitting, clean hockey game.

Actually I'm a PC Friars season ticket holder so ya I see a lot of college hockey. I love it for different reasons than I love the NHL. I also think more liberties can be taken in college hockey because they can hide behind the gladiator like full face mask and not run the risk of having to drop the gloves. I love the pure emotion of college hockey and college athletics in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad